A new senior management position — Tour Program Director at Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. (RSE) — presents an exciting career opportunity for an experienced manager in the travel industry. The Tour Program Director will report to the COO, and will oversee the strategy, operations, sales and staffing of Rick Steves' successful program of European bus tours (currently 40 itineraries, 850 departures, 20,000 customers, and 10-20% growth annually).
The right candidate will bring a blend of travel and tour business experience, with particular emphasis on operational leadership and technology-driven solutions to manage growth and develop efficiencies. It will be critical that the Tour Program Director — who will work at the RSE headquarters in Edmonds, Wash. — demonstrate an ability to operate effectively within a strong, positive, and collaborative existing culture.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual and rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. In addition to our European tours, we also produce a public-television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear.
- Provide oversight and direction for the RSE Tour Program and the managers of the three tour-related departments: Tour Operations, Tour Sales, and Guide Services.
- Work with the RSE Business Team to define and achieve goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the overall RSE Tour Program and for each of its departments.
- Oversee Tour Program revenues and expenses.
- Develop methods to improve the productivity and effectiveness of programs and operations.
- Monitor changes in regulations and technology that may affect operations; implement policy and procedural changes as required.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the Rick Steves' Europe company and its travel philosophy.
- Demonstrated business and operational expertise in a consumer-facing service organization at a senior level, preferably in a tour or travel related company.
- Solid experience managing and leading collaborative and highly-productive cross-functional teams.
- Proficient in assessing and applying technology-based solutions to back-end and customer-facing processes.
- Ability to develop and execute business strategies to achieve tour program goals and objectives.
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills to a variety of audiences.
- An inspiring and engaging leadership style, approachable, calm under pressure.
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA preferred
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to TourProgramDirector@ricksteves.com. Qualified applicants only, please. No phone calls.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time software developer who will be responsible for the design and development of internal and external facing applications at our Edmonds location. This person will contribute to all future software development projects as well as assist in the maintenance of legacy systems as required.
We want a smart, disciplined, customer-focused team player who enjoys working on highly visible projects. As a software developer on our team, you will be a key player in an innovative and entrepreneurial company that embraces technology in every area of its business, including the development and marketing of extensive rich media content.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Develop and document software according to industry best practices
- Collaborate with other technology team members on software development, specifically regarding functionality, user experience, and technical design
- Manage deliverables according to approved project plans
- Participate in code maintenance, bug fixes, and various cross-functional roles with quality assurance
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster a cooperative and harmonious working climate
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics
- Three+ years of professional software development
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical documentation skills
- Ruby on Rails development experience
- Test Driven Development / Behavior Driven Development
- Flexibility in using multiple programming languages
- Proficiency with SQL and database design
- Flexibility in a dynamic work environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven time management skills: meet deadlines, effectively manage priorities, and communicate progress
- Aptitude for learning applications quickly and solving problems with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team player, and pitch in on outside projects, as needed
- Support day-to-day end-user issues and requests, as needed
Additional skills and experience in the following areas strongly preferred:
- Salesforce.com; Force.com
- XML and web services
- Content management systems
- E-commerce platforms
- Open-source software
- PC and Mac platforms
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no telephone calls.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to email@example.com or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!