Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a seasonal Travel Center Advisor to work in our retail store from May through October, 2014.
Hours: 30-40 hours per week. We're open Monday – Saturday, 9:00-5:00 (until 8:00 on Thursdays).
Overall job responsibility: Travel Center Advisors represent and promote Rick Steves' travel destinations, products, programs, and services to the public and on-line, in a well-informed and enthusiastic manner. Advisors utilize Rick Steves' book content, Travel Center resources, and other Rick Steves' materials (DVDs and website information), in addition to drawing from their own personal European travel experiences to assist customers with their travel plans and questions.
- Assist customers with retail purchases and gift cards.
- Provide excellent customer service and travel information.
- Operate the Point of Sale system; process purchases, credits, and/or returns.
- Schedule travel consulting appointments.
- Respond to written travel questions via email and on-line forums.
- Orient customers to our reference materials.
- Promote, explain, and stock our books, travel gear, and accessories.
- Assist with on-line registration for classes and festivals.
- Other duties as assigned by the Travel Center Manager.
- A good understanding of Rick Steves' publications, products, tours, TV shows, and website.
- Extensive European travel experience, using various modes of transportation, including rail.
- Strong attention to detail while handling several tasks at once, often in an extremely busy environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- The ability to be self-motivated, positive, and a team-player.
- Customer service or retail experience.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run Europe tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and a one-page summary of your European travel history by April 21, 2014 to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time software developer who will be responsible for the design and development of internal and external facing applications at our Edmonds location. This person will contribute to all future software development projects as well as assist in the maintenance of legacy systems as required.
We want a smart, disciplined, customer-focused team player who enjoys working on highly visible projects. As a software developer on our team, you will be a key player in an innovative and entrepreneurial company that embraces technology in every area of its business, including the development and marketing of extensive rich media content.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Develop and document software according to industry best practices.
- Collaborate with other technology team members on software development, specifically regarding functionality, user experience, and technical design.
- Manage deliverables according to approved project plans.
- Participate in code maintenance, bug fixes, and various cross-functional roles with quality assurance.
- Participate in design and code reviews.
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster a cooperative and harmonious working climate.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics.
- Five+ years of professional software development.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical documentation skills.
- Ruby on Rails development experience.
- Test Driven Development / Behavior Driven Development.
- Flexibility in using multiple programming languages.
- Proficiency with SQL and database design.
- Flexibility in a dynamic work environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Proven time management skills: meet deadlines, effectively manage priorities, and communicate progress.
- Aptitude for learning applications quickly and solving problems with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as a team player, and pitch in on outside projects, as needed.
- Support day-to-day end-user issues and requests, as needed.
Additional skills and experience in the following areas strongly preferred:
- Salesforce.com; Force.com
- XML and web services
- Content management systems
- E-commerce platforms
- Open-source software
- PC and Mac platforms
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no telephone calls.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to email@example.com or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!