Rick Steves’ Europe (RSE), a leader in the travel industry, is looking for an experienced Accounts Payable Accountant to support our financial operations, 35-40 hours per week in our Edmonds office. We want a smart, accurate and self-motivated team player with an aptitude for learning new applications quickly. The right candidate will possess a strong working knowledge of payables, purchasing procedures and best practices, along with experience working with general ledger systems and procedures and financial chart of accounts. This person will also ensure compliance with internal controls, company policies and procedures, and possess a thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position reports to the Controller and CFO.
Rick Steves’ Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Review all invoices for appropriate documentation, approval and account coding
- Process PO invoices, check requests and customer refunds
- Audit and process credit card bills
- Match invoices to checks, prepare weekly check-run, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
- 1099 maintenance and Annual preparation
- Respond to all vendor inquiries in a professional and competent manner
- Interface with all levels of staff regarding internal and external AP inquiries and questions
- Reconcile vendor statements, research and correct discrepancies
- Assist in month-end closing process ensuring proper general ledger accruals and reconciliations are completed in a timely manner
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
- Document, implement and maintain systems, procedures and policies, including accounts payable functions, to ensure adherence to company guidelines
Tour Accounting duties:
- Assist with Tour Vendor Invoice payments as needed during peak times
- Initiate payment of non-staff tour payments
- Process Tour Visa Bill as needed during peak times
- Assist with other projects as needed
- BS in Accounting or Finance
- 4+ years accounting experience
- Knowledge of major accounting software packages
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office with advanced knowledge of Excel
- Proven organizational skills: manage priorities, meet deadlines and communicate progress
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment and handle multiple projects effectively
- Must have large ERP AP system experience, as well as 1099 filing experience
- Experience with Salesforce.com and Great Plains Dynamics highly desirable
- CPA license a plus
To Apply: Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no telephone calls.
Rick Steves’ Europe (RSE), a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time guidebook editor to join our Book Department. The ideal candidate will help maintain the high quality of the bestselling Rick Steves’ guidebook series and will share our philosophy of smart travel.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual and rewarding work environment at our offices in Edmonds, WA. In addition to our travel guidebooks, we produce a public television series, a weekly radio show, podcasts and audio tours, and a travel website; offer European tours and travel gear; and teach travel classes. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Edit Rick Steves’ guidebooks; review maps and manuscripts; and update, fact-check, and repurpose guidebook content
- Assemble articles and other materials as needed
- Convey information concisely, accurately, and in a reader-friendly manner
- Apply a keen eye for detail and consistency to both content and style
- Manage time efficiently, keep track of deadlines, and complete work dependably
- Stay good-natured under the pressure of a rigorous production schedule
- B.A. or B.S.
- Minimum of seven years of editing and writing experience, ideally on guidebooks
- Equal proficiency in copy editing, content editing, proofreading, and writing (though the bulk of the job is editing)
- Excellent organizational skills
- Conversant in Word (including tracked changes) and Excel
- Aptitude for spelling correctly (including foreign words)
- Ability to work on multiple, concurrent tasks and projects, easily switching from book to book, and between editing files and other tasks
- Focus on details as well as an entire book
- Work well both independently and as part of a team
- European travel experience, ideally using Rick Steves’ guidebooks
- Familiarity with any major European language
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and three one-page writing samples by February 27 to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves’ Europe (RSE), a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a Tour Sales Specialist to work in our Tour Sales Department. The ideal candidate will be able to perform all tour department customer service, sales, and administrative duties in a professional and competent manner.
Hours: 35-40 hours per week. RSE is open Monday – Saturday, 9:00-5:00 (until 8:00 on Thursdays).
Customer Service and Sales, Data Entry
- Assist with tour sales via phone and in-person
- Answer all tour-related inquiries via e-mail
- Enter and process new tour bookings in Salesforce and tour sales portal
- Process transfers and cancellations in Salesforce and tour sales portal
- Enter and update customer details specific to each tour booking in Salesforce
- Collaborate with Tour Operations and Guide Services departments, as needed
Mailings and Administration
- Assist with preparing and mailing, or emailing, all customer correspondence (confirmations, invoices, various letters), tour packets, and tour information requests, such as DVDs and tour catalogs
- Assist with stocking of Tour Department materials and documents: such as tour catalogs, DVDs, insurance brochures, customer documents, and tour packet items
- Filing, recording, and scanning all customer-related tour documents
The qualified candidate will have the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to treat customers and employees with courtesy and respect, even in difficult or stressful situations
- Extensive European travel experience
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain a high level of accuracy with data entry and customer documentation
- Ability to complete repetitive tasks methodically, efficiently, and effectively while maintaining a good attitude
- Good time management skills and regular attendance
- Strong technical skills including Outlook and Excel proficiency
Additional experience in the following strongly preferred:
- Knowledge of the RSE tour philosophy and tour itineraries
- Proficiency in Salesforce or similar database experience
To Apply: Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and a one-page European travel summary to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time software developer who will be responsible for the design and development of internal and external facing applications at our Edmonds location. This person will contribute to all future software development projects as well as assist in the maintenance of legacy systems as required.
We want a smart, disciplined, customer-focused team player who enjoys working on highly visible projects. As a software developer on our team, you will be a key player in an innovative and entrepreneurial company that embraces technology in every area of its business, including the development and marketing of extensive rich media content.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Develop and document software according to industry best practices
- Collaborate with other technology team members on software development, specifically regarding functionality, user experience, and technical design
- Manage deliverables according to approved project plans
- Participate in code maintenance, bug fixes, and various cross-functional roles with quality assurance
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster a cooperative and harmonious working climate
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics
- Three+ years of professional software development
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical documentation skills
- Ruby on Rails development experience
- Test Driven Development / Behavior Driven Development
- Flexibility in using multiple programming languages
- Proficiency with SQL and database design
- Flexibility in a dynamic work environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven time management skills: meet deadlines, effectively manage priorities, and communicate progress
- Aptitude for learning applications quickly and solving problems with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team player, and pitch in on outside projects, as needed
- Support day-to-day end-user issues and requests, as needed
Additional skills and experience in the following areas strongly preferred:
- Salesforce.com; Force.com
- XML and web services
- Content management systems
- E-commerce platforms
- Open-source software
- PC and Mac platforms
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: email@example.com. Please, no telephone calls.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!