When we learn of critical changes to the information in our guidebooks on Norway, we post them here. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
- The town's tourist information office has relocated to the Torghallen market building, alongside the harbor.
- Bergen Guide Service no longer offers a daily walking tour in summer.
- The Jarlens Vaskoteque launderette has closed.
- The Bergen Folklore Show no longer has regularly scheduled programs for tourists.
- Hotel Park Bergen has a new website and email address: www.hotelpark.no, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Thon Hotel Bergen Brygge has a new email address: email@example.com.
- Skansen Pensjonat has a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bergen YMCA Hostel has a new email address: email@example.com.
- Montana Family & Youth Hostel has a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Frobusdalen Rom guesthouse has closed.
- Color Line ferries no longer offer a discount to rail-pass travelers on the Hirtshals–Kristiansand or Hirtshals–Larvik routes.
Norway in a Nutshell
- Oslo–Bergen train: It is no longer possible to use a US-issued credit card to purchase an advance ticket for this train. But you can reserve a seat in advance by dialing 81 50 08 88 (from the US, 001-45-81-08-88) or emailing email@example.com with specifics about the ticket you need. You'll be given a reservation number to use to pick up and pay for your ticket at the train station in Norway (where you can use your credit card).
- Some copies from the second (January 2013) printing of Rick Steves' Scandinavia, 13th edition, contain a printer's error. These copies have been recalled, but if you have recently purchased this edition, check the Oslo chapter. If the heading on page 239 reads "Eating in Bratislava," return the book to your bookseller, or contact the publisher (via Bobby Dunne, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Oslo Budget Hotel has closed.
- The Haraldsheim Youth Hostel has a new email address: email@example.com.
- The express boat between Bergen and the Sognefjord, which stops in Balestrand and Flåm, is now operated by Norled (see their website for updated prices and schedules).
- Sjøtun Camping has a new telephone number: mobile 95 06 72 61.
- Nes Gard Farmhouse B&B has new phone numbers: 57 68 39 43 and mobile 95 23 26 94.
- Drivers going from the Lustrafjord to Bergen via the Nutshell route will find some changes (most notably a new one-way stretch) in the drive from Gudvangen to road E-16.