When we learn of critical changes to the information in our guidebooks on Norway, we post them here. (Of course, it's still smart to reconfirm critical transportation and sightseeing details locally.) Armed with a Rick Steves guidebook and these late-breaking updates, you're set for a great trip!
- The town’s tourist information office has relocated to the Torghallen market building, alongside the harbor.
- Bergen Guide Service no longer offers a daily walking tour in summer.
- The Jarlens Vaskoteque launderette has closed.
- The Bergen Folklore Show no longer has regularly scheduled programs for tourists.
- Hotel Park Bergen has a new website and email address: www.hotelpark.no, email@example.com.
- Thon Hotel Bergen Brygge has a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Skansen Pensjonat has a new email address: email@example.com.
- Bergen YMCA Hostel has a new email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Montana Family & Youth Hostel has a new email address: email@example.com.
- The Frobusdalen Rom guesthouse has closed.
- Color Line ferries no longer offer a discount to rail-pass travelers on the Hirtshals–Kristiansand or Hirtshals–Larvik routes.
Norway in a Nutshell
The Flåmsbana train service between Myrdal and Flåm has been temporarily cancelled after severe flooding. Check the NSB’s site for updates.
You can now reserve the Flåmsbana train portion of the Norway in a Nutshell route, together with the connecting Oslo–Bergen train, with NSB (the Norwegian national railway). However, you can’t use a US-issued credit card to purchase an advance ticket for these trains on the NSB website. To buy an advance ticket, you’ll need to call NSB at 81 50 08 88 or 23 62 00 00 (from the US, 011-47-81-50-08-88 or 011-47-23-62-00-00). After making your reservation, you’ll be sent an email with a link to a site that accepts payment by US credit card. You then can choose whether to pick up the ticket at the train station in Norway or download a pdf and print the ticket yourself.
- Some copies from the second (January 2013) printing of Rick Steves’ Scandinavia, 13th edition, contain a printer’s error. These copies have been recalled, but if you have recently purchased this edition, check the Oslo chapter. If the heading on page 239 reads “Eating in Bratislava,” return the book to your bookseller, or contact the publisher (via Bobby Dunne, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Oslo Budget Hotel has closed.
- The Haraldsheim Youth Hostel has a new email address: email@example.com.
- The express boat between Bergen and the Sognefjord, which stops in Balestrand and Flåm, is now operated by Norled (see their website for updated prices and schedules).
- Sjøtun Camping has a new telephone number: mobile 95 06 72 61.
- Nes Gard Farmhouse B&B has new phone numbers: 57 68 39 43 and mobile 95 23 26 94.
- Drivers going from the Lustrafjord to Bergen via the Nutshell route will find some changes (most notably a new one-way stretch) in the drive from Gudvangen to road E-16.