Please sign in to post.

rome airport car rental

Wife and I are leaving for Italy on the 1st of July. Flying into Rome. I am looking for a little info/advice on car rentals. Are the rental offices near baggage claims or do you have to walk a long or short distance, or take a shuttle? Also how was your experience dealing with agency as to time/help professionalism etc. One other thing is it easy to get out of the airport and on your way with out dealing with city traffic? Any help will be appreciated.
John S

Posted by
1078 posts

After you clear baggage and enter the terminal, you turn left, walk to the end, up the escalater, and enter what I call a Gerbil tube to get to the rental cars. Most of the majors are located at a rotunda midway in the parking decks, however, others(Sixt, Budget) are further on and up a flight or two of stairs nearer to their cars. Sadly, the process in Italy is still pretty paper intensive, and some still need a CC that they can imprint on the rental form. ALWAYS check your car for any dings, dents, scrapes, with an attendant and I take pictures from all angles with the local time noted on the pictures, and do the same when returning. Leaving the airport is pretty easy and the traffic is as congested at times as in NYC; however, the rental car return isn't will marked--follow the signs to the Airport Hilton, pass it, and you will find the return signs to the parking garages for your rental. Also,return it as full as possible,or get the option to return it empty, as I have had battles (with Sixt in particular) when I didn't, after being "assured that "a couple of liters low isn't a problem." Finally, I think only the majors have staff working most of Sunday, so you may have to turn in the car and drop the keys at a kiosk.
Hope this helps, and remember, you're in Italy so go with the flow, not against it.

Posted by
13 posts

Jerry, Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I'm trying to get a feel for what it's going to be like once I get off the plane and have to deal with car rental employees from a foreign country. I'm looking forward to it. Not!
John