Please sign in to post.

Cesky krumlov or Budapest for New Years Eve?

We are trying to decide whether to spend New Years Eve in Budapest or Cesky Krumlov. We are a family of mum,2adult sons, 1 daughter in law and a 10month old baby. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome(including accommodatio accomodation or restaurant ideas for dinner on NYE).
Thanks, Linda

Posted by
17811 posts

I wont make a suggestion as to which but I can tell you what to expect in Budapest. This just isn't a great fireworks studded event in Budapest. There are a number of well organized street parties and a number of the clubs and restaurants have celebrations as do a couple of the hotels; but that is pretty much the extent. New Year Celebration aside late December and early January are a great time to visit Budapest if you love the snow, the theater, romance and the like. And the Christmas markets stay open until January 1 (or maybe it was the 5th? But at least until the first.)

Posted by
410 posts

I have not been to Budapest and only did a day trip to Cesky Krumlov from Prague in May this year. Cesky Krumlov is very small and Budapest a major city so your options would be much greater in Budapest. Then again, you may want somewhere smaller and more intimate. Hopefully someone will have more specific suggestions to make.

Posted by
516 posts

Been to both. Budapest would be much better. CK is a very small town. More like a village. I would pick Prague over both.

Posted by
61 posts

Thank you for your replies.We have decided to spend the New Year in Vienna and then move to Budapest for a week
Linda