Please sign in to post.

reasonable hotels in Munich

I see that Munich is expensive. Any suggestions as to a nice, clean well located hotel a a reasonable price? Hopefully $100-150. Also willing to entertain something on the outskirts. But since I'm not familiar at all w/ the area - is the commute into the ity difficult? Or a long haul? We'd rather not waste alot of time commuting. Altho we do plan to go to Dachau & Ludwig & the "sleeping beauty" castle, so perhaps something closer to there -- but I have no concept of really how far that is & what kind of commute it would be. Please advise. Thanks!

Posted by
419 posts

I like the Hotel Eden Wolff which is directly across the street from the main railroad station on Arnulfstrasse. Very good English speaking staff at reception, bountiful breakfast and a good in-house restaurant for lunch or dinner. The railway station has lots of shops and some interesting places to eat. Tram and bus service right outside the door, subway and train just across the street.
Dachau and Ludwig's castles are each an easy day trip away.

Posted by
16221 posts

Munich is a beautiful city and it is well worth staying in the center. Try the Motel One at Isartor. Mathis is a budget chain, new, clean and well-regarded. Mthe Isartor location is good.

Posted by
731 posts

We are staying at the Pension Lindner in November, and the rate is 90 euro, which includes breakfast and a private bath/shower. It's less than a 5 minute walk from Marienplatz and it seems to be highly regarded here on the helpline, in Rick's book, and on TripAdvisor.

Posted by
106 posts

We are staying at the Hotel Royal at the end of October. The rate is $84 euro a night, and they had a special that if you booked 5 nights, you got one of them free. Breakfast is included. My understanding is that it is a short walk to the Marienplatz, and that there is a train station located close by. It came recommended both on this helpline, as well as on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
32201 posts

joanna, I'm not sure if they'll fit your price criteria, but you could also have a look at: > Hotel Royal - very close to the train station and easy walk to all the sights. The area outside the hotel was "under renovation" last time I was there, but the hotel was fantastic. They served an awesome breakfast! > Hotel Uhland - about a 15 minute walk from the station in a nice residential area close to Theresenwiesse (the OktoberFest Park). Fantastic staff, comfortable rooms and they also serve a fantastic breakfast! US$ 150 is only about €112 so that may not be adequate unless you go to a budget hotel. Happy travels!

Posted by
967 posts

Joanna,
Have a look at the Hotel Blauer Bock. I stayed there last December during the Christmas market, and the location is wonderful. It's across from the Viktualienmarkt and a very short walk to the Marienplatz. There are many places for quick food in the outdoor market and wonderful restaurants nearby. I think you will like being in the heart of things and avoiding a lot of commutes.

Posted by
813 posts

Novotel is a great chain, reasonable, clean. We stay at the Novotel Messe, a 15 min local train ride in to Munich. You may be able to find a hot deal for the dates you want if you book early enough. Look for Mercure, Novotel, Ibis, etc. around Munich, there's loads, often with great advance booking deals.

Posted by
548 posts

In May of this year, my husband and I stayed at the Motel One Sedlinger Tor in Munich. We both really liked it. The neighborhood was great and it was about a ten minute walk to Marienplatz. The subway station is right around the corner. Got good reviews on Trip Advisor. Friends of ours stayed at the Hilton - because they had points to use, but our room at the Motel One was far better and in a much better location. We plan on staying there again when we return next year.

Posted by
8135 posts

Just go onto Booking.com and see what they have to offer. You can filter them by "stars" and by price. You can also see customer ratings, which is helpful. Booking.com is the world's most comprehensive source of rooms, and it covers virtually the whole world. I am a budget traveler, and usually pay no more than 70E in Europe. And in Germany and Austria, I've never had a bad room experience no matter how inexpensive the rooms have been.
AirBnB.com is another great place to get budget rooms. Their drawback is having to pay when the reservation is made.

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks so much to all of you! I will check them all out!

Posted by
46 posts

We have stayed in many of the top hotels in Munich such as the Mandarin and in many of the other 3 and 4 stars hotels but as others have already said Motel One is a excellent value. The rooms are small but they are comfortable and with good locations. The only problem is you must book way in advance because they sell out quickly.

Posted by
19092 posts

In the past, I have always stayed in a hotel in the suburbs (commute by S-Bahn to the city is not difficult), primarily because they spoke only German, which I am trying to learn. As for staying in the city, I have not stayed in Royal, but like what I see. For my next trip, I am staying in Münchner Kindl. Re: Booking.com. I have done an extensive study on accommodations in Germany, and I find booking websites to show only a small portion of the available rooms, only the most expensive ones. You are farther ahead, if you can, to avoid these websites. By the way, the importance of stars in Germany is vastly overrated. Every hotel on the star rating has to pass a minimum standard of cleanliness and maintenance (and I find that the hotel without stars adhere to the same standards). Stars have to do with things like how many hours they have room service and things like if the room has a shoeshine machine, if that's important to you.

Posted by
1481 posts

I use HRS.com booking site, as well as town websites. I find the information generally more complete and uniform on HRS than town's websites. On Munich's website, they refer the reader to HRS. I use HRS as it gives me a good map of all their hotels, and list distances from the town center and the train station. It tells me if a credit card is required to book, if advanced payment is required and if a cancellation fee is charged. The rating system is fair and limited to those who reserved through HRS and stayed. HRS lists the facilities of each hotel in a consistent way so that I know where to find things. Once I reserve a room, I get a clear email giving me the facts about my reservation. I always have the option of reverting to the town's website. It is seldom beneficial. I have used HRS for 8 trips in the last 8 years to Germany. I suspect Booking.com is good as well. I have also used Hotel.de, internet references, Rick's book and town websites. I have found HRS most useful.

Posted by
8939 posts

I like www.hrs.com too. The cancellation policy is great, you don't have to make a deposit, and they certainly have a very wide variety of accommodations, from hostels, 1-5 hotels, B&B's and guesthouses. It is very easy to check with the hotel to see if they offer a better price than the hotel consolidator. The one thing about HRS is that I have never read any complaints about them on Trip Advisor, where as Booking.com gets a fair share of them. Anyone who owns a hotel property wants the rooms filled and if it costs them to list on a website, those fees get written off as advertising on their taxes. This is a win-win situation. Occupancy is the name of the game in the hospitality industry. I am another fan of Motel One. Very basic, but the price is right.

Posted by
315 posts

Joanna,
I agree with Ken's comment about Hotel Uhland. I don't think you would be disappointed. We stayed there this past June and found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was great!

Posted by
12172 posts

I've had great luck with Pensions in Munich. I've stayed in at least three (one may have been Lindner, I don't recall) and all were comfortable and clean. You can get some lists in the Rough Guide or Let's Go guidebooks. My only requirement is something convenient to public transportation.

Posted by
345 posts

Last spring, we stayed in the Novotel Messe on the east side of the city. It is part of the Accor chain of hotels so you know what you will get. The rooms were large, clean, and very nice. There is a bar/lounge and a restaurant. We were able to get a rate that included breakfasts.

There is a shopping mall beside the hotel with additional restaurants. The hotel is also steps from the S-Bahn station. It took less than a 1/2 hour to get to the central part of Munich. We knew we would always get to sit at least part of the way, either into or out of the city. It was very easy to get into the city center.

We had a car so we did not want to drive into the city center area for a hotel. The hotel was very close to the main freeway around the city so it was also easy to access to be able to drive away from Munich to see sights away from the city.

Good luck!