Please sign in to post.

We are flying to Italy on Lufthansa Airlines. According to their website, the maximum carry-on is 21" long, not 22" like most other airlines.
Has anyone flown Lufthansa recently and did you have any carry-on problems?
Thanks!

Posted by
103 posts

We flew from LAX to Munich on Lufthansa.. I cannot stress what an incredibly wonderful airline it is.. Not only did they offer open bar ... more importantly they have wonderful attendants wandering up and down the aisles at all times keeping water glasses full and that is paramount for feeling rested and energized.We kept our carry on to two small bags could easily place them under our seats and checked everything else, mainly for our own comfort. I would encourage you to comply as much as you can as they do everything in their power to see that you are comfortable and safe. The best 15 hours I've ever spent in the air.

Posted by
66 posts

Thanks for your reply! We are both tall and need our legroom, so really hoping to put our bags up above.

Just out of curiosity, did you fly the cheap seats (Economy)?? Your open bar comment is pretty amazing if you weren't flying business class or something.

Posted by
6898 posts

We recently flew Lufthansa business class from L.A. to Frankfurt. We had the same experience as above. Makes you want to throw rocks at America's airlines. There is an 18 lb carry on restriction in 2nd class and 36 lbs in Business or 1st. Below is the information from their website. (Sorry for the metrics. 8 kg is 17.6 lbs)

Size and weight of carry-on baggage:
Each piece of hand baggage may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg. An exception are foldable garment bags. They count as hand baggage up to a size of 57 x 54 x 15 cm.

Pieces of baggage exceeding these limits have to be checked in. As the stowage space in the cabin is limited we will transport them in the cargo hold. This is in the interests of your own and other passengers' safety and comfort

Posted by
66 posts

Hi, Larry.
Yes, thankyou, I had the 55cm dimension from Lufthansa, but that is equal to 21.7" (almost 22" but not quite).

I have a 22" carry-on that would be accepted on most airlines, but if Lufthansa is being precise, then my 55.9cm bag is .9 cm too big. That is the basis for my question. I'm hoping someone will tell me that they flew with a 22" (55.9cm) bag on Lufthansa with no problems in the Economy Section.

When I bought my tickets, business class was $3600 round trip per person, so we're flying the 2nd class/Economy in order to save five grand...better spent on our adventures in Italy.

Posted by
103 posts

Jayne.. sorry I cannot help you with the precise measurements of the required carry on, but I would buy new 21 inch carry on's just so I could fly Lufthansa. My husband and I had economy tickets.. just under 2K for both of us round trip from LAX to VCE.. amazing experience.. they even have real silverware and glass glasses..the lavatories were down six steps so you could get some excercise during the forEVER flight... people up and about chatty and friendly. Staff incredible efficient and gracious..

Posted by
2779 posts

I always fly Lufthansa on my trips from Frankfurt to LAX for the simple reason that it's a nonstop flight. But you are right, their service is above average. The lower-deck bathrooms are only available on the A340-600 operated flights, not on the Boeing 747-400 ones (the Boeing is 15 years older than the Airbus). My carry-on is just over those 55cm and they still always allow it. Consider the number to be a round-about which you shouldn't exceed excessively. The free bar and silverware service and all is true. But there is a down-side as well: Lufthansa don't offer any in-seat entertainment in economy class (only in Business and First). You have to rely on what they show on the public screens (free headsets and language selection though).