Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge nearest airport

Hi! We are planning a day trip to Windsor, Avery and Stonehenge, and at the end of the day, taking a flight to Amsterdam. This will be our last day in London. We want to know, before purchasing our air tickets, which airport is the nearest one to Stonehenge, since we'll be renting a car and dropping it off at the airport. And, how long (in hours) is the nearest airport?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Posted by
264 posts

You can also consider Bristol Airport which is 1 1/2 hours west Stonehenge.

If you can avoid a one way charge you might have a good shot with a discount carrier getting to Amsterdam.

Posted by
32167 posts

Veronica,

I have to agree with Mike, in that Bristol would be a good choice. It's a smaller airport, so not as busy as LHR or LGW. It's only a short distance up a few stairs to get from the car park (rental car return) to the airport terminal.

One point though, be sure to use a good map or GPS. The road divides into two forks on the way to the airport, and if you get onto the wrong fork it will take some time to get back to the correct road. I ended up in that predicament, but fortunately my GPS unit got me back to the car park via an unusual route (but at least I got there).

Both KLM and EasyJet offer flights from Bristol to Schiipol Airport, so that would be an easy route to take. If you book early enough, EasyJet has some incredible deals - UK$21.99, including all taxes and charges. One important note though, most of the budget airlines have very tight baggage limits, so be sure to PACK LIGHT (I got 'nicked' by RyanAir at Bristol Airport!).

Cheers!

Posted by
75 posts

Thanks everyone! You guys don't know how helpful you've all being.
A question: based on Kent information, do you think this would be a good route (considering we'll be driving): London-Stonehenge-Avebury-Windsor Castle-LondonHeathrow airport?

Posted by
2771 posts

Hi Veronica, yes that would be a good way. I would suggest that you take a train to Salisbury (even the night before) picking up your rental car there. Then you could go to Stonehenge first then Avebury and then on to Windsor. Windsor is a fifteen minute drive to Heathrow Airport.

Posted by
291 posts

I would recommend you visit Avebury before Stonehenge. The Avebury henge is totally free access and together wuth the Neolthic burial mounds its a great preparation for Stonehenge. e.g. the henge ditches are still about 30 foot high at Avebury and the Avenue of stones leading to the henge. When you get to Stonehenge these key features are hardly visible and the understanding of henges at Avebury will much improve your experience at Stonehenge.

Windsor Castle is only open from 09:45 to 17:00 and most people take a couple of hours to go around. For a day tour logistically its not a good fit. As Windsor is so close to London and so easly and quicly accessible by public transport I'd try and do that from London or a nearby Heathrow hote.

Posted by
964 posts

Bournemouth airport (also known as Hurn airport) is closer than Bristol, but it's a small airport and I don't know about car rental facilities. Thomsonfly.com did offer a daily service from Hurn to Amsterdam, don't know if they still do. Also, you could try Ryanair who fly out of there.
And there's Southampton airport, which is also nearer to Stonehenge. Southampton is a larger airport, I'm sure they will have car rental return facilities.