Please sign in to post.

Bahn Card

We will be living in Fulda, Germany for 6 months and will travel on the weekends in Germany and surrounding countries and wonder if the Bahncard 50 would be the one to purchase. We are both over 60. Does it only offer 50% of on full fares? I could not tell how much the card will cost on the websiet. We arrive in Frankfurt on Oct 2nd...can it be purchased at the trainstation upon arrival? Thank you for information. Also, we may want a eurorail pass for Feb and Mar for train travel thru Italy and maybe Greece. Do we have to purchase the eurorail pass prior to leaving the USA? Thanks.

Posted by
19092 posts

You can buy a Greece-Italy Eurail pass in Europe, but it will cost more than over here.

The Bahn card only gives a discount on full fare. The full price of a second class Bahn Card 50 is €220 pP, but it is half price for senior citizens (over 60).

The Bahn site does say (in German) that with a Bahncard 25 you get an additional 25% discounts off of the Sparpreis 25 and Sparpreis 50 fares. It doesn't say anything about additional reductions with the Bahn Card 50.

Posted by
8938 posts

Also with the Bahn card, the first person pays the full amount for it and the spouse gets the Bahn card for half price. They also have the 25% off Bahn cards too. Yes, you can purchase one as soon as you land from the Deutsche Bahn service counters. They will give you a document to use until your cards arrive in the mail. You can now receive 25% off of tickets in 29 countries when you cross the border into those countries from Germany on your trip. You can also do car sharing which is very reasonable priced, Call a Bike, and City tickets. If you go over 100 km on your trip, you can ride the public transportation in that city for free. This is a kind of new one for me, but the nice folks at the Bahn can explain it to you when you get ready to travel to your destination.

Posted by
19092 posts

The Bahn card 50 is available to normal adults at full price at €220. Half price, €110, is available to children, students under 26, spouses, seniors, 60 and above, and the severely handicapped. An over-60 spouse does NOT get 50% off for being a spouse and another 50% off for being over 60.

The city ticket gives free transit in cities only if you travel over 100km on trains of the Fernverkehr (IC, EC, ICE) and it only applies to your day of arrival and, if it is a round trip, your scheduled day of departure.

Posted by
128 posts

Thanks for the great info. The Bahn card 50 for us should be the best bet.

Posted by
19092 posts

One thing you need to realize about the Bahncard is that it is an "abonnement" (subscription). Unless you cancel it in writing they will continue to bill you each year. Make sure you get the cancellation form when you get the card and send it in when you're finished with the card.

Posted by
128 posts

Thank you!! Someday I hope I have the opportunity to help people on the site like you have. I have read many of your posts and they have been very helpful. I am sure I will be asking for help along the way for our 6 mo. stay in Germany.