Please sign in to post.

Trattoria der Pallaro in Campo de Fiori

Just a bit of advise to travellers who go to Rome and eat a meal at Trattoria der Pallaro in Campo de Fiori. Be quite sure you check the bill when it is presented to you, check every item and on payment check the change given back. Also insist on a bill because in Italy to eat at a restaurant and not get a bill is an offense of tax evasion. Paola is not what she makes out to be.

Posted by
143 posts

Okay, I'll bite - what is your specific complaint? Fortunately I had a great meal there - good food, well priced, and a fun atmosphere.

Actually , isn't checking your bill and counting change good advice wherever you go? I'd also add check the menu for the service fee and to check the cost of the house wine and bottled water to avoid unpleasant prices, but again this seems like common sense to me.

Posted by
1127 posts

Der Pallaro offers a set meal at a set price so I don't understand how there can be a problem with the price of a meal at this restaurant.

As mentioned above, you should always check the change in any establishment. This restaurant isn't doing anything different the rest of the places in Italy.

Posted by
31 posts

Since this Trattoria gives a fixed meal at a fixed price...which was 21 Euros as per Rick Steves book...there should not be an added cost.Paola took my 21 Euros and then said the price was 25 Euros...OK prices do go up. But when I gave her the added 5 Euros she asked for 20 Euros again, which she had already pocketed in her apron....No amount of my arguing helped...she kept raising her voice and talking away in Italian, probably calling me names, which made other diners look at me!!..rather unconfortable feeling and I wanted the floor to open and swallow me up.I finally had to pay the extra 20 Euros... but what was worse was that I was never given a bill, which in Italy is illegal. I am told by others that she orten does not return the bill to paying customers...probably uses it again for new diners. The meal was good but certainly not worth 45 Euros which was my final tab!!!

Posted by
8293 posts

Katie, you should have immediately asked her to call the police, or gone to the nearest police station to report this.

Posted by
31 posts

It was already late night...I was alone and had no idea what to do....embarrassed beyond belief too....But when I talked to my apt. owner he told me I should report this to the Tourist Police. Unfortunately I was leaving early next morning for Sienna.
I know one must take the rough with the smooth when travelling...and a little bit of cheating is OK.. But what hits me now is that the woman has obviously been cheating on her taxes too...because you pay a tax on everything that one eats and this has to go to the Govt.I learnt this from a German gentleman who is a tax evasion officer.
I have emailed the incident to Rick Steves office...they should look into this and take her off their book on Rome....

Posted by
2023 posts

We ate at Pallaro last fall (our third time dining there). The menu was very similar to previous visits and when we were ready to settle the bill Paola charged us LESS than the other meals--I think she charged 18 euros each and my husband was surprised and attempted to ask why the meals were less but it was useless--her English is very limited. We enjoy this little place but have no idea how whe runs things but I do remember the apron full of euros.

Posted by
31 posts

Of course she can charge you 18 Euros....she does not pay tax on your food by not giving you a bill....its so simple and keeps so many tourists Happy!!!

Posted by
1317 posts

While this is certainly no excuse, Italians are known to be 'creative' when it comes to paying taxes...