Please sign in to post.

Ostia Antica from FCO & baggage storage

For our trip to Rome in April 2009, we will be arriving 7am-ish at FCO. Before heading into Rome, we were thinking of heading down to Ostia Antica, as on the map it looked a fair piece closer than going from the airport to Rome and then from Rome back out to Ostia Antica. Does anyone have advice on the best way to get to Ostia Antica from FCO?

Also, is there baggage storage at FCO? I mean, besides not picking up our luggage from baggage claim... Anyhow, with our thought of going to Ostia Antica, and from what I've read on the Helpline, there is nowhere to store luggage at Ostia Antica, we were thinking of leaving the luggage at FCO.

So, basically, we are hoping to arrive at FCO, check the baggage somewhere at FCO, head out to Ostia Antica, enjoy Ostia Antica for a few hours, head back to FCO, retrieve our luggage, and head to our lodging in Rome.

So am I on the right track with these plans? Is this logistically doable? Many thanks!

Posted by
23178 posts

I don't think so. I don't think there is direct transportation to OA from the airport other than a taxi. I think your best bet is take the train into Rome (since that is where you are going) and leave your luggage at the checked luggage on the lower level in Termini. Then take the train to OA (need to change at Pyramid). That would probably be the most convenient and most economical.

Posted by
31 posts

Bummer! Just seems like it would be more efficient to go to Ostia Antica directly from the airport, since they seem to be closer in proximity than to go to Rome and back out to Ostia Antica.

And after google mapping it - it is only about 16km away from the airport... oh bummer...

Posted by
23178 posts

Ok, then take a cab or hire a car and driver for half a day.

Posted by
2207 posts

Ava - You can take the Cotral bus from the FCO Airport to Ostia (the city)... then get on the LIDO metro line and ride in from Ostia (the town) to Ostia Antica (the Site). Travel time about 45 minutes each way... but unless you're fairly confident I'd side with Frank and hire a car & driver.

If you take a taxi, they will drop you off - but there is NO taxi stand at Ostia Antica, so getting back might be a challenge unless you can call for a taxi, or get someone to call for you! The rates start from WHERE the taxi comes from... so out to Ostia Antica might be a pretty stiff fare - and that's before you even get into the cab!

If you're going to go from FCO to Ostia Antica, probably do the car & driver. If you do OStia Antica from Rome, ride the LIDO train with your metro ticket! Frankly, I'd head into Rome, as it probably takes about the same time via public transport to come from Rome as it does from FCO, despite how close it looks!

Good Luck!
Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
137 posts

I did some digging and found out it costs 35 euros/hour, plus 35 euros to get to Rome to go directly from FCO to Ostia Antica in a private limo.

This is the company I contacted:
http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/index.htm

Now, having said that, does anyone think landing at 7:30 am and heading directly to OA with three kids is a good idea??

Posted by
23178 posts

That is an impossible question !! First, what are you trying to accomplish? Second, age of children == 2,4 & 6 is a lot different than 12,14 & 16. Third, why the rush?

Posted by
3586 posts

Ava,
I see that you'll be traveling from the west coast. We figure that we spend almost 24 hours in transit from SFO when we fly to FCO, including getting to the airport, predeparture time of 2-3 hours, time waiting around in whichever airport we change planes, retrieving luggage, and going through customs and immigration. Even if you have a nonstop, it's a long, tiring experience. Ostia is a lot of walking. I should think that the last thing you want to do is to start your trip off herding exhausted children of any age around an archaeological site, even if there were luggage storage. Be kind to yourself and your family, and take it easy that first day.