Please sign in to post.

School holidays in Germany and Austria

http://www.holidays-info.com/School-Holidays-Germany/2009/school-holidays_2009.html

This is a good website to check before you start making travel plans. Airfare prices go up when a holiday is on in the state you are traveling too. I have saved lots of money when I have flown out of a state where they weren't on vacation. Even including train fare, I still have saved well over a $100. These vacation dates change every year and are staggered through-out the different states so that not everyone is on vacation at the same time. Imagine the chaos on the autobahn and trains if this were so.

Posted by
1357 posts

Thanks, Jo. We fly standby and got bumped one time because we were trying to fly out on the first day of Spring break. It can also help with avoiding crowds and traffic.

Posted by
6628 posts

This is important information for hostelers too.

Germany has about 600 official HI hostels - "DJH" is the acronym for the German hostel association. Website: www.jugendherberge.de/en/

These are some of the best hostels on the planet - lots of investment has poured into these places over the last 20 years or so, and many are now like hotels, IKEA style; others are housed in castles and other fortifications, and they're nicely appointed too. Low-priced family packages with meals are common in winter. They are generally great places to stay for individuals, couples, and groups.

The only problem is that this investment in hostel infrastructure is possible only because of heavy use by German schools; a week-long outing during the school year with your class and teacher is routine for most children. But that means that during instruction periods, the hostels are chuck full of rowdy pre-teens that will make your hair stand on end if you're older than 17. School outings are particularly abundant in fall, spring, and early summer when the weather is more agreeable

So if you plan on hosteling, it's wise to plan your stay DURING school break periods, when the kiddies are at home. German hostels in late July and August when almost all schools are out are a particularly good option.