Please sign in to post.

Bastille Day -

Greetings! My family and I will be in Paris during Bastille Day. Any suggestions on places to be or things to do on that day? Thank you-

Posted by
8934 posts

Get picnic stuff and go to the park in front of the Eiffel Tower and wait for it to get dark, around 22:30. That is when the show starts. Fireworks set off on the tower, laser light show, music, and simply a wonderful, amazing show. Expect big crowds, the park will be packed and grassy areas go pretty early in the evening. Just squeeze in somewhere. The Metro afterwards is PACKED! but everyone is in such a great mood and having fun. People watching is a good activity for this night.

We enjoyed this evening sooo much.

Posted by
123 posts

My daughter and I will be there at the same time! We're planning on trying to find a spot on the grass at the tower, but I just saw that alot of the river cruise vendors have special evening cruises that night (some very affordable) so may do that instead and watch the fireworks from the boat. I read somewhere that there's a parade down the Champs Elysees starting from the Arc de Triomphe at 10 or 11 that morning -- from what I read it's mostly a military parade, but the President is in it and it's a big affair. I also read that the night before at 10p there's a big outdoor costume ball on the Place de Bastille in celebration of Bastille Day. Not sure what else, I'm interested in seeing some more replies from folks.

Posted by
518 posts

We watched the fireworks from a vantage point along the Seine not too far from the Eifel Tower. It was just beautiful and so much fun to be there. Afterwards, we knew the metro would be packed so we walked back to our hotel. We wandered around a lot before we found our way, but it was all really fun.

Posted by
125 posts

Thank you for the great suggestions!!
Regards- Maria

Posted by
2193 posts

Agree with the other comments. Many sites are closed on Bastille Day, but I had much fun just spending the day strolling the Champs-Élysées and picnicking at the Parc du Champ de Mars. You can purchase your picnic on Rue Cler and walk to the park. The Tour Eiffel will be open but busy. My only regret that day was not going to the parade in the morning (too wiped out from long travel day the previous day). Try to make the parade...it's not the same on TV. The atmosphere around the city that day is very festive and fun. The Parc will be extremely crowded before, during, and after the fireworks, but this is a must-do.