Please sign in to post.

Train from Paris to Colmar with a stop in Champagne area??

we are departing Paris on May 8 (V Day holiday) going to
Colmar. if we take the slower train from Paris, where is
a good place to stop for lunch in the Champagne area before
continuing on to Colmar?? Is the holiday going to make the trains busier than normal? Do we need a reservation?

we also want to rent a car for one day in Colmar. Saturday and drop it off on Sunday. It looks like car agencies are closed on Sunday. any recommendations???

Posted by
8700 posts

While seat reservations are required on TGVs, no reservations are possible on regional trains. If the seats are all taken, you stand.

I just checked europcar. They will rent you a car for one day and a Sunday drop-off is possible. (It's probably an after-hours drop box.)

Posted by
8 posts

...also on the Champagne stop, we hope to visit a major champagne producer...leave luggage at the rail station...has anyone done this? is this practical?

Posted by
3313 posts

You can drop your car when the office is closed. They'll have a box to leave the keys. I always take pictures of the car when I leave it just in case there's a damage claim, but I've never had a problem.

Posted by
8 posts

thanks for the info on the car.

from what I read in Ricks France book, there are no
lockers in Reims...so we would have to carry our bags to the caves...

what should a one day car rental cost?

Posted by
8700 posts

No matter from whom you rent, you are likely to pay a high fee for a one-day rental. A quick check of the europcar site shows a one-day rental for around $140 US and a three-day rental for around $170 US. Auto Europe won't even rent a car for less than three days.

Posted by
8 posts

thank you Tim for the info