Please sign in to post.

Sound of Music, Salzburg of course, but Antwerp?

Often people ask about the SOM tours in Salzburg and whether or not they are worth it. Sometimes it seems as if only Americans are a bit crazy about that movie, but check out this You Tube from Antwerp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UE3CNu_rtY Some of the comments indicate that it might have been part of a commercial, but that really doesn't matter.

So, how far spread is the SOM craze in Europe? Having escaped the Austrian Alps have there been sightings outside of Antwerp? ; )

Pam

Posted by
19092 posts

Op Zoek naar Maria

I think that is "search for" rather than "missing to". I suspect that "Zoek" would be pronounced very similar to the German "Such" (pr. zook), from the verb "suchen", to search or seek.

Posted by
12040 posts

Let me comment on this specific clip. This is part of a promotion for a popular show that's currently running on Flemish TV, "Op Zoek naar Maria". It's similar to American Idol, except the women are auditioning for the part of Maria in an upcoming stage production of "The Sound of Music". I can't find a Youtube clip of the hilarious opening of the show, but imagine a battle royale with several young women dressed as Maria in an Alpine meadow.

Posted by
5678 posts

ARGH. I actually googled it to doublecheck the spelling...read the headline, which was mispelled and not the body of the text which had the spelling right. PAm

Posted by
8938 posts

I thought it was pretty funny. Just thinking about those wacky Belgians. Makes me wish they would do something like that in our train station. :-))

We watched the "How do you solve a problem like Maria" from the UK a couple of years ago. Sounds like they have the same opening, with the Marias fighting.

Posted by
1288 posts

I loved this clip and appreciated hearing some of the background. I actually translated the words at the end trying to figure out what it was all about. It made me this SOM fan smile.

Posted by
182 posts

So Connie, what did the words at the end translate to??

Posted by
1288 posts

Gary- literally "on missing to Maria". Obviously did not help me figure out what was going on. BTW...the couple towards the end that are standing there enjoying the show (they are by themselves and she is holding onto the handle of her suitcase as they bob up around enjoying the music)...obviously 2 Rick Steve's travelers who just happened to be there. The jeans they are wearing are a dead give away. They just forgot to have their RS book out so that we could see it.

Posted by
1288 posts

Lee- that makes more sense. I put the words in a free translation site and it works better if you have a paragraph.

Posted by
12040 posts

Dutch often does not translate literally word-for-word into English very well, but a good approximation would be "In Search of Maria". Lee is correct, the pronunciation is phonetically something like "Up zook nahr Maria".

Posted by
2026 posts

Thanks for sharing this clip. I am stll grinning!