Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt-Hahn Airport to Frankfurt to Augsburg

We are landing at Frankfurt-Hahn (May 30) and would like to go to Frankfurt - May 30 - maybe catching some of the Gymnastics Festival - stay over night and make our to Augsburg. Do you have suggestions for a hotel in Frankfurt? and then for the best means of transportation to get to Frankfurt and then on to Augsburg. We would prefer not to take a car. Any stops you would make on your way to Augsburg?

Posted by
19091 posts

First, let me say, that Frankfurt-Hahn does not exist. It is HAHN, period, an isolated, insignificant ex US Air base closer to Trier and Luxembourg than it is to Frankfurt. It is 140 km from Frankfurt. The name, Frankfurt-Hahn, is a lie fabricated by RyanAir to cover up for the fact that they don't service FRA, one of the most popular airports in Europe.

Other than a car, the only transportation from HAHN to Frankfurt is a two hour bus trip.

Posted by
8938 posts

Hi Ed, glad to hear you are coming to the Gymnastics Festival, I think it is going to be a great party and a lot of fun.

There is regular bus service from Hahn to the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) that costs 12 € and takes about 1.5 hours. If you tell me your budget, I can recommend quite a few hotels here in town, either near the train station itself, on the river or something with a bit more charm in one of the many pretty neighborhoods in the city. There are a lot of pensions and even private rooms to rent here if that is appealing to you. Everything is easily reached by public transportation.

As to Augsburg, I imagine going by train will be the easiest. Have never been there, so cannot help too much.

Please send a message if you need any help with your visit in Frankfurt.

Posted by
19091 posts

Jo, according to the official site of Hahn airport, the bus takes 1½ hours to the real Frankfurt airport (FRA), and 1¾ hours to the Hauptbahnhof in the city.

Posted by
20 posts

We landed at Hahn coming from London Stansted and then rented a car. Go to Heidelberg and Rothenberg, they are excellent! Check Rick's books for info.

Posted by
19091 posts

No need to have a car. The main line from Frankfurt to Munich goes through Ausgburg.

Posted by
8938 posts

Ed, I forgot the hotel suggestions. Hope I am not too late.
http://www.hotel-am-berg-ffm.de/

(I just got a message from someone else on this board that said this place was really nice. The photos certainly look like a place I would want to go.)

http://www.hotel-goelz.de/ (this is in one of the elegant neighborhoods, but the price is pretty good, less than 100 € the last time I checked.)

http://www.bornheimer-hof.de/ (this is in my neighborhood, which is the best! It looks out on some nice old, half-timbered buildings from the 1600's which are now Applewine gardens,and is on the Berger Strasse. Market is there twice a week and the whole street is filled with cafes and lovely old pubs. It isn't the most fabulous hotel, but the surroundings make up for it.)