Please sign in to post.

Ireland-shoes/Continental

Hi A few days to go and if it weren't for this ear infection that I caught I would be very excited! What type of shoes did you bring besides hiking and did anyone have advice on flying Continental to Ireland. Thanks!!

Posted by
1815 posts

Shoes I take to Europe: dark-colored hiking shoes and a spare pair of laces (Patagonia, Saloman brands are comfortable, sold at REI), the black loafer-type walking shoes that I wear to work everyday (Ecco, Reiker, etc.--2 pairs if possible), either black sandals or black low-heeled pumps if we are planning any dressier dinners. For the "dressier" shoes, I try to take an older pair that I can discard before the return trip, if my luggage is too crowded. If weight is an issue, you probably need to wear the hiking shoes on the plane.

Posted by
809 posts

Sara, I usually take one pair of fairly sturdy black oxfords [I've been happy with several SAS styles] for serious urban walking plus one pair of black T-straps or sandals for hot weather or to give the other shoes a rest. Plus a pair of Teva flipflops for showershoes/really hot weather. I can wear the oxfords with thick socks if it's cold or thin ones, and I have even worn socks with the sandals...
Sorry I've never been to Ireland so can't give advice on your flight. But have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
10178 posts

Sara, I have flown Continental to Europe 3 times. What kind of advice are you looking for?

Posted by
48 posts

I just flew from Dublin to Seattle yesterday, what kind of info you looking for?

Cheers.

Posted by
484 posts

From my experience the flight crew you get seems to make more difference than the airline. Some can be really helpful and others seem to act like you are a big annoyance that they have to put up with.

Posted by
92 posts

I have spent about 7 weeks in Ireland over the course of two summers and I have found that a pair of New Balance running/trail sneakers works the best. Try to find a darker (thank white) pair if you don't want your feet to give you away (I have been told by natives that Americans always wear white tennis shoes) before your accent does. I packed hikers the first year, but only used them once (on Croagh Patrick). They were heavy and took up too much space so I left them home the second year and managed fine (didn't attempt a big hike that year, though). I bought a pair of off-brand athletic slides which doubled as slippers when I wore socks, or as spur-of-the-moment beach trip flip-flops. There isn't really a need to worry about being too fashionable in Ireland, since most people are so laid back, unless you will be spending a lot of time in upscale Dublin pubs or night clubs.