Please sign in to post.

money belt+tight shirts+low rise jeans = problem

So I bought my money belt today from Target and tried it on with the shirts and jeans I am wearing on my trip next month and you could definitely tell that I have something under my shirt because all my shirts are fitted and I have low rise jeans..has anyone had to deal with this problem..on top of that I am very thin so my money belt keeps sliding up from the small of my back to my waist..ughhh so annoying are all money belts like this?

Posted by
10344 posts

Other travelers here have dealt with this problem by:

1) Buying the pouch-type "money belt" that is worn around the neck and under your top clothing item,

or

2) Wearing the type you've bought rotated around so the pouch is in the small of your back; when you need to access it when out (which shouldn't be too often) you rotate it to the front,

or

3) Deciding that fashion and appearance are more important than security, to them it's worth the added risk of keeping their ATM cards/credit cards/etc in a somewhat less secure way than a money belt or pouch worn under clothing.

Posted by
23262 posts

I hope the money belt is sliding down and not up. Money belt can work for just about everyone but there are exceptions and you could be the exception. So if it doesn't work for you then look to alternatives. You might consider a different wardrobe -- loose fitting clothes can be more comfortable. I would avoid all jeans simply because they are heavier and much harder to careful.

Posted by
9363 posts

You might find that it fits a bit differently once you actually have something in it. The weight of passport and credit cards might keep it in place better.

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's another topic thread that's currently discussing money belts

click here

Posted by
2091 posts

Anneris--I don't know if it'll work for you but I actually wear mine (with as little as possible in it) in front just under my bra strap...sort of empire waist! It all depends on your body type and shape whether this will work for you.

Posted by
590 posts

I had a similiar problem as for me I had to bring a pair of jeans with me (still carryon and under 20 pound backpack and no problems laundering!) and I wear mine lower and tops more form fitting. I ended up liking the eagle creek neck pouch best. I also brougt a monet belt along and tried wearing it under my bra strap, but I didnt like that in case I had to access something from it. I know I have been lucky and most people on here would disagree with me, but I only wore mine in transit and would leave my moneybelt in a hotel safe/hostel safe or hostel locker. 15 weeks in Europe and no problems and crossing my fingers to no future problems....however if you read the lonely planet forum, the general consensus there is the same as mine...

Posted by
32201 posts

Anneris,

Rather than using the waist style Money Belt, you might check the Magellans website. They have two different types:

One attaches to a Belt and "flips" inside the waistband (the only part that's visible is the loop).

Another type attaches to the lower leg with elasticized straps. I suspect that model wouldn't work as well on people that have "straight legs" as it would tend to slip, especially when sweating.

Hope you find a solution that works!

Posted by
1201 posts

Some people find the neck pouches better. Either wearing them hanging in front under your shirt or slung messenger bag style. Your head and one arm through the loop, letting the pouch hang under your arm pit or down farther on your side. Once again under your shirt.

Posted by
34 posts

Have you considered a bra pouch? Or "zip it" travel socks? travelessentials.com/Zip-It-Crew-Travel-Socks-Womens.aspx They're not the most glamorous, but my husband loves 'em

Posted by
190 posts

I modified my regular money belt so the strap went around my waist and the pouch dropped down my pants leg. My daughter used the leg pouch, but put it around her thigh instead of her calf. Neither of us would have liked the other's idea, but we both were very happy with our own.

Posted by
5 posts

I had a similar problem when geting ready for my trip to Italy in 2007. I ended up forgoing the money belt itself: instead sewing two small, flat pockets into the wide rib cage straps of my bra (I found a sport-type bra was easiest because they have the widest straps). With my passport and rail tix on one side, and my cash and emergency credit card on the other, I wore whatever I wanted, feeling super comfortable and very secure. The only caveat: accessibility is an issue with the "money bra"! You can't exactly dig out some extra euros while waiting in line at the tabacchi. ; )

Posted by
122 posts

I use the leg belt from Eagle Creek and have for many, many trips. I fasten it just below my knee and just to be safe, use a safety pin to make sure it stays secure. I've found it to be comfortable with the added plus of being able to get to it easily, especially while sitting at a table. If you're wearing jeans anyway, this might be a good option.

Posted by
689 posts

Anneris, though I know the majority of people here love their moneybelts I don't wear one (and if I did I would have the same weirdness with clothes as you are having--I favor skirts and fitted tops or dresses). I keep my passport in my hotel safe and carry only what I absolutely need on me--one debit card and some cash (and maybe a credit card). I keep these in a messanger style purse or, if I don't want to bring a purse, in an inside jacket pocket. While I'd agree that it's dumb to keep all your valuables in a purse that can be snatched from the back of cafe chair I really don't think it's necessary to wear a moneybelt (do you think the residents of Europe are all walking around wearing one?). Also, how dumb do you feel when paying for something nad you have to reach under your clothes to get your money? Very.

I did use one when I was younger and stayed in hostels, where there was no secure place to leave valuables.

Posted by
9099 posts

"...do you think the residents of Europe are all walking around wearing one?..."

Residents of Europe don't wear money belts because thieves specifically target tourists. Tourists carry the most amount of cash, and are unlikely to appear in court to testify in the event the bad guy is caught. Also, one doesn't use a money belt as a wallet or purse; you keep it concealed at all times, and just keep a day spending money in the wallet or purse. Not wearing a money belt type product is like playing Russian Roulette.

Posted by
689 posts

Michael, I go to Europe every year and this really isn't an issue for me. That's great if people like to wear one but it's ridiculous to say it's Russian roulette (where the worst outcome is death, actually) and EVERYONE has to wear one--worst case scenario I lose 40 bucks. Yup tourists are targets but guess what? I'm also one of those people that dresses nicely and doesn't spend a lot of time in touristy areas. And with even a smidge of caution and smarts it would be very easy for the OP to forego one, as well. Given what people are telling her to do instead--like wrap your moneybelt around your knee under your jeans or put your money in your bra--that to me is borderline ridiculous and unnecessary.

And OP, you didn't say where you are traveling but that also makes a difference. If it's your first time in Rome, dealing with an uncomfortable moneybelt may not be a bad thing. If you are going to stand in front of Sacre Couer in your Crocs and camcord, please DO wear one. But there are plenty of other places (the Swiss Alps, driving through the hill towns of Provence) where a moneybelt is unnecessary, and there are plenty of ways a person can travel safely without one, as long as you have access to a hotel safe.

And Michael if you're carrying a wallet with a day's spending money outside of the moneybelt, why in the world are you carrying a wad of cash IN your moneybelt? Leave it in the hotel safe! Use your debit card for purchases! (There are few places you can't use plastic).

Posted by
209 posts

wooooow.

O_o

I came in here to say that this was the best thread title I remember ever seeing on this board!

However, "Not wearing a money belt type product is like playing Russian Roulette." is like, the most hilarious thing I've read on this site! ever!

Either way..... Over a year and 15 countries later, I haven't died as a result of my own adventuresome nature and/or lost a thing (except some preconceived notions about the world); I also don't wear a money belt.

I do, however, use a PacSafe purse. They are not the cutest ever, but I find that it gives me peace of mind without the ick factor of sweating all over my passport.

gross.

Posted by
9099 posts

When available I do use a hotel safe, but not all hotels have them. Also, when you are in transit between cities how are you supposed to keep your stuff in a safe after you've already checked out??? Apart from pickpockets, money belts also guard against simply loosing or misplacing a walle, purse or bag. In the end it's you vacation/time/aggravation if you want to risk all that then go for it. But IMO it's irresponsible to tell someone else to not bother with a simple $5 money belt....it's the best, cheapest insurance around.

Posted by
689 posts

If I'm traveling around by train I just put my small purse in the middle of my carry on size wheelie suitcase, with my clothes. I keep petty cash in my pocket in case I want to buy a water or something. I personally don't do those kind of trips much anymore, though--we tend to go to one place for longer periods of time, and if it's rural, we have a car. I can see where a solo backpacker doing lots of train travel might find a moneybelt handy.

Posted by
73 posts

Honestly, I would forego the money belt and buy a PacSafe purse. That's what I used in Paris last month and nothing was stolen. Heck, the thing was like Fort Knox, and I got sick of having to deal with all the hooks and zippers, but my money was safe! My husband did wear a money belt and hated it. However, nothing was stolen, so there's something to be said for it.

I did try a silk money belt, but also found it uncomfortable. They're useful, but they're not for everyone. You do not want to be uncomfortable or dressing like someone else when you travel.

Posted by
119 posts

I bought a neckpouch thinking I would use it but I didn't like the way it could be seen under my shirts. So, then I bought a money belt which I took with me but used sparingly. I think I only used it a few times. Mostly I used a Pacsafe purse, carried crossways across my chest. I never felt threatened in any way during the whole trip. In fact, the only time anyone ever bothered me was a little old lady outside of the Eiffel tower came up to me and asked if I spoke English, I wasn't thinking and said yes, she pulled out a note and showed me. It hit me what was going on and I said "no" and walked away.

Posted by
122 posts

Don't be so sure people who live in Europe don't wear money belts. I was sitting in a quiet neighborhood cafe in Milan one day when a mother and toddler came in. Mom bent over in front of me to help her daughter and what did I see? Yep, a money belt peeking out.

You might just be surprised how much they are used!

Posted by
2349 posts

Think of it this way. You've just spent a lot of money to travel to Europe. You sound young and that often means a limited budget. If you lost $100 or more would that put a serious kink in your remaining budget? If you had to spend a day or more of your trip to replace credit cards and passport would that upset you? What would happen if suddenly all your cash, cc's, and passport were gone, and you didn't have the money to take a cab to the embassy or hotel?

Play around with some of the above suggestions and find one that works for you. My dad's pocket was picked in Paris a few yrs ago, and he lost almost $300. He wasn't happy about it but it did not break him. Pick your priorities-safe money and passport, or no bulge under your shirt.

Posted by
2026 posts

Lewis N Clark makes a neck pouch that we like...convenient to use, comfortable and relatively unobtrusive.

Posted by
780 posts

I never use a moneybelt. I keep my cash and cards in my bra. Tacky, maybe. But I have never lost any money. Im NOT saying not to use one, I am just stating what has worked for me as a female. I bought the neckpouch and hated it by the second hour of wearing it so stopped using it. I didnt like feeling it near my skin and I didnt like the strap showing.

Coins stay in a coin purse in my handbag. No big loss if someone gets those.

I also make sure to not look like a tourist. That is your first line of defense. Dont wear baseball caps, teva sandals, backpacks, fanny packs and dont flash your maps around. I could spot the tourists a mile away by my second day in London. I dress like the locals and dont yell across tube platforms like the other americans I saw!

Posted by
590 posts

Its nice to see that I am not alone in my decision to not wear a money belt/neck pouch. I do have both, and I will wear it when I am in transit (train station going to a new city). I will also wear it if my hostel has no locker, but I hate every minute of it...especially if it is hot out! Most hostels will havve a locker or safe deposit box to use if you want to keep stuff in there which I use. Talking to other travelers they do the same. hostelworld.com will say if it has one.

I have asked many travelers what they do, and ALL Europeans who stayed at my hostels said that they would never bother with one and they actually made fun of me for bringing one along. One guy when we hung out during the day would always ask me in a mocking way if everything in my pockets were there.

Just be aware of your surroundings, if you feel unsure wear one. It was my choice to not wear one and I am fully aware of the consequences if my valuables get stolen.

Has sort of been talked about on LP'S Thorntree forum:http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1743633&start=15&tstart=0

Posted by
206 posts

Anneris, I know exactly what you mean. My pants go to below my waist, but the moneybelt always rides up (i.e. above my pants). The beltloop moneybelts were too long for petite me, and the bra ones, well, they were very obvious on petite me. So, I used the beltloop type of moneybelt and safety-pinned it to the back of my pants (or, you could cut the straps off a waist moneybelt and do the same thing). It felt awkward only for the first day or so. I have been to Europe three times now and would never go without one, but that's just me. :-)