Please sign in to post.

How to get from the Gare du Nord to the hotel in Paris.

We need to travel from the Gare du Nord station to Hotel du Champ de Mars. Since so many of you have stayed at this hotel, I'm hoping you will be able to give us directions on the best way to get there after we've reached Paris on the Eurostar. How expensive would a taxi be and is it the only way to get to the hotel easily. There are just two of us and we will each have only one piece of luggage.
Thanks so much. Linda

Posted by
48 posts

I've stayed at other hotels in the Rue Cler area. By Metro is not too hard from Gar du Nord, but you have to make a train change. My recommendation is from Gare du Nord look for Metro line 4 toward Porte de Orleans. Take the train a few stops to Strasbourg Saint Denis stop, then transfer to line 8 toward Balard. Take that 8 train to Ecole Militaire. Hotel is just a few blocks from the stop, very easy walk. Since you are traveling light, should not be a problem. You will likely be buying a metro pass for your stay anyway, so may as well save the money on taxi and start using it. Cab rides are expensive and the queue at the cab stand can be miserably long. Take the Metro and you will be there in 20 minutes.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Tim. Just the info I needed. We arrive in the middle of the afternoon, so I'm hoping the metro won't be too crowded.
Good traveling to you! Linda

Posted by
32202 posts

Linda,

The directions that Tim provided are spot on! I usually stay in the Rue Cler area, and have travelled that same route many times.

Here's a quick view of the area near your Hotel.....

Happy travels!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks to both of you for the info, map and picture!That's really a great help!
Now to all three of you--if you don't mind, how about some recommendations for good restaurants in the area. We're not the type who just go to Paris to eat. That's not a the top of our list, but we do enjoy good food in good neighborhood places.
Do you have some favorites.
Again, many thanks. Linda

Posted by
842 posts

Linda, you have been given some great advice on how to get to your hotel. Even though we were tired from our 12 hour trip "over the pond" last June, we still managed to schlepp our lugguge thru the subway sytems and made it to our apt on our 1st day in Europe/Paris.

Another option is to take a cab. they are pretty cheap in Paris, and the distance from Gare Du Nord to your hotel is not that far. Make sure that you get a real cab, and don't let some beggar charge you to find one.

We are not foodies in the least, and usually do not like Rick's pics in his book......but his reccomendations for the Rue Cler area were "right on the money."

Also check out the online "Tom's Guide to Paris". Tom is an ex-pat who lives in Paris, and he has a list of lots of fun places........for very good prices.

We had to do some Metro surfing to get to one of his pics; Ave Maria, but it was our favorite for the week that were there in June. It was cheap, small, friendly, funky, fun, and the tastes of the combination of Brazialian/ Spanish/ French influenced food just exploded in your mouth.