Please sign in to post.

D-Day tour from Paris

I am looking for some info on taking a day tour from Paris to Normandy D-day area first part of August. I have seen Gray Line has a tour. Can anyone add some insight to this tour? I am open to anything else that would be an alternative.

Posted by
8 posts

U can easily do it yourself - take the train from Gard du Nord to Bayeaux - its about 2 hrs - get off at Bayeux and take a 5 min taxi ride to a Shell/Hertz - we rented the car in advance - its about a 20 min drive to the beaches from Bayeux, so very easy - u can visit the US cemetery, walk the beaches, see what the Germans saw from their fortifications - u can also drive N or S and visit the different beaches - very impressive - U can get your train ticket online and also rent the car online - we got a map at the Hertz place and the roads were not a problem - the only thing we forgot was how to get back to the Hertz location! but we made it OK - even had time to stop at a local McDonalds for beer and burger - we were there in April and the cafe's on the beach were all closed :-(

Posted by
196 posts

strongly agree w/ Dean that having a car allows you flexibility to go to YOUR desired locations and spend as little or as much time as you like. Do stop at the German cemetary that's marked on the main road w out of Bayeaux; their approach to a cemetary is not so grandiose as Americans; chilling to look at the dates and see how many very young men were killed. If you have time to be able to spend a night in Bayeaux, do it; tapestry, cathedral interesting and you won't be so rushed to go out and back to Paris in one day.

Posted by
25 posts

If you can't get your own transportation, there are alternatives. We took the half day tour organized by the D-Day museum in Caen, and it was fantastic! The guide was great and there was only 4 of us, so we stopped some extra places and got to stay extra at the ones that interested us. The information that a guide can give you is worth the extra expense!

Posted by
8700 posts

Many tours leave from Bayeux, but you can't get there by train in time for an all-day tour. One company that offers half-day tours, either morning or afternoon, is www.overlordtour.com. You'll be done in time to catch a train back to Paris.

Posted by
7209 posts

I would highly recommend alotting more time for the beaches of Normandy. We trained from Paris to Caen, picked up a car and drove to the Caen War Museum. We could only spend about 1.5 hours (what a shame!!!) and then drove to the American Cemetary. It was all WAY too fast and furious. If you can spare another day I would highly highly recommend it. It's a breath-taking experience that you won't forget.

Posted by
53 posts

Den,

I agree with Tim. I have been to Normandy twice and have only made a dent. The Historic information of this location is overwhelming. If your aim is to stand overlooking Omaha Beach do it from the Cemetary. However, walk over to WN62 from the parking lot and visit a real fortification that created the most havic on D-Day.

Regards