Please sign in to post.

barcelona pickpocketing

how safe are the streets of Barcelona regarding pickpocketing,we will be there in late april,any special places to be aware of
thanks in advance for any tips

Posted by
1078 posts

I would say it's as safe as any big US city--keep your eyes open and be aware of your surroundings. The Rambla and the Metro are two areas to be "aware"--several years ago I was "slammed" on the escalator going up to the street at a Metro stop--three young guys, one to my right, one in front, and one behind. Only had 10 or so Euros in my shorts(American! American!). When we got to the top, front guy dropped his sun glasses, I gave him a swift knee in the butt, and he went sprawling on the floor as I calmly continued to walk away.

Posted by
23177 posts

We were on the Ramblas last October (third trip) and I thought it looked and felt safer than ever. Never felt unsafe on prior trips but had heard the same cautions that a lot of people post. We never had any problems. However, this time the police were very visible and everywhere. On two occasions they were search someone and making them empty their pockets. On another occasion one person in a group of people were walking and drinking from a beer. A female officer walked up and without much conversation took the beer away and threw it in a trash can and that was around 10 PM. Just use normal precautions and you will be fine.

Posted by
495 posts

I think perception's a funny thing. A few years ago Barcelona was the city-break destination for British people, it seemed like everyone you spoke to was either going or had just come back. All the focus and press was what a friendly, vibrant and 'funky' city it was.

Then I started reading US focussed travel sites, here, Fodor's etc... To read about Barcelona there you'd think it was some kind of cross between The Bronx, Gomorrah and Beirut circa 1982.

The city does have a bit of a reputation for pick-pocketing and Las Ramblas can get very crowded but take the usual travel precautions and I can't see an issue.

Posted by
37 posts

I agree with all the above posters. I was in Barcelona for the first time late September 2009 and had read so much about pickpockets that I was feeling pretty spooked. My first afternoon there, I decided to walk down Las Ramblas. But, I basically was head down, walk as fast as I could because heaven forbid you stop to look at anything so the pickpockets could get you! Once I got to the end, I realized that was silly. I had gone through it all and still had everything I started with but didn't get to enjoy any of it. So, I calmed down and strolled my way back. I spent the next 2 days wandering all over the place and as far as I know, left with everything I came with (except the money I spent on purpose!). Just don't carry things on you that you can't afford to lose (or keep them in your moneybelt), relax and enjoy!

Posted by
156 posts

We were a group of 4 stanidn on Las Ramblas last fall when a stall merchant yelled at us. A young woman was standing behnd us as though reading a map but she had it over one of our backpacks and was trying to open it.......just be careful as they are crafty.....

Posted by
32171 posts

mike,

Barcelona especially seems to have a bit of a reputation for petty crime. I once tried a Google search using "Barcelona Scams" in the title and it resulted in thousands of "hits". These described not only pickpocketing but other types of "scams" as well.

There's always the potential for these types of activities in any European city, but if you wear a Money Belt and take reasonable precautions (especially "situational awareness"), you should be fine.

Happy travels!

Posted by
324 posts

If it serves as a comfort to anybody; I was on the Ramblas yesterday and nobody tried to pick my pocket, again!

Barcelona is a relatively large, urban environment, and as such, tourists should expect that some degree of street smarts will be necessary. It is not, however, anywhere near as violent as home cities of a comparable size of most of the posters on this board. Relax, enjoy your trip, and use common sense.

On the other hand, if you'd like some perspective into Barcelona street scams, you can take a look here: http://kovakspi.com/phpbb/