Please sign in to post.

Where to stay when visiting Pompeii

Hi guys. Does anyone have any suggestions about whether to stay in Naples or Sorrento when visiting Pompeii? And if so, any recommendations on places to stay/ places to eat? We will be traveling by train from Rome and want to stay 2 nights - visiting Pompeii the second day and then returning to Naples the third day to catch a flight back to the USA. Thanks - Christina

Posted by
10344 posts

I'd say 90% of those visiting Pompeii, and not doing it as a day trip from Rome, choose to sleep in Sorrento rather than Naples.

Posted by
32167 posts

Christina, I would highly recommend Sorrento as a great "home base" in that area. It's difficult to recommend "places to stay" as you didn't provide any details on what type of accommodations you prefer (ie: 5-star luxury or ???). There are lots of listings for Hotels in Sorrento in various price ranges. For places to eat in Sorrento, I would highly recommend This Restaurant (provided you have a generous travel budget!). The food and service are both excellent! For your tour of Pompeii, you might consider hiring a local Guide. Gaetano Manfredi is an outstanding Guide! Happy travels!

Posted by
831 posts

Christina,
Depending on what time your flight leaves you may want to spend the last day in Naples. Making an early morning flight out of Naples from Sorrento can be difficult or expensive.

Posted by
1829 posts

In Sorrento try one of these places, reasonable rates and good reviews on TA. The first is off a square in the centre of town and has kitchenettes in the rooms. http://www.villaelisasorrento.com/ The second a hostel but is really a hotel. Minutes walk from the old town streets and the town centre. I believe it is in the book! http://www.ulissedeluxe.com/ For somewhere reasonable to eat, just up from the station towards Piazza Tasso. http://www.illeonerosso.it/ For the best pizza in Sorrento. You eat at, often shared, wooden tables and unless you have wine, drink out of plastic glasses but the pizza and prices cant be beat. Turn right out of the entrance road to the railway station. Panetteria-Pizzeria da Franco For a bit more upmarket pizzeria that serves other food that is good and reasonable prices. Da Giginos, Via degli Archi 15 in the old town streets. For hot and cold takeaway snacks and yummy cakes try Bar Rita. We use them when we want to take a picnic with us and want something a bit different from the usual sandwiches. http://www.bar-rita.it/

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks to everyone for all of the great recommendations. This really helps me out. Christina

Posted by
189 posts

Hi Christina For a fantastic home base , consider Hotel Sorrento City , a short walk from the train station and close to all restaurants etc. I think taking bus from train station back to Naples airport is very convenient and inexpensive as well. MIke DC

Posted by
361 posts

We just returned and stayed in Sorrento, it is a short train trip from their to Pompeii. Plus Sorrento is a beautiful seaside city whereas Naples looks like a Mexcian border town. We stayed at the Antiche Mura hotel in Sorrento and it has it all; great service, very nice rooms, wonderful breakfast, helpful staff, easy walk to and from the train station and close to downtown Sorrento.

Posted by
340 posts

Christina,
If you plan to stay 2 nights, try to arrive early on the first day so you can have some time to explore Sorrento or, better yet, the Amalfi Coast on the other side of the peninsula, which is easily reached by bus or by hiring a private driver for the day. Once you see this part of Italy you may wish that you had scheduled more time there!

Posted by
645 posts

What time is your flight? We stayed in Sorrento and took the shuttle to the airport. I think their earliest shuttle leaves at 6:30 am. But, you would have to check their website. The ride cost 10€ and was very pleasant. It takes about 1 1/2 hr. to get to the airport depending on traffic.

Posted by
1003 posts

We stayed 4 nights in Sorrento at Hotel Settimo Cielo located out on Via Capo. Had a very nice room with a balcony and fantastic views of the Bay of Naples. Would stay here again. We parked our car and used public trans. here. Very easy to take train to Pompeii, bus to Positano, and hydrofoil to Capri. We really loved the energy in Sorrento and were here in July 2006 when Italy beat France in the World Cup. Really fun!!