Please sign in to post.

Garmisch Best Tips

Heading down to Garmisch in a few weeks with my daughter and my niece, both young adults and just looking for a few ideas. What were your favorite things to do or see there? No car, so we have to be able to get there with public transportation or walking. Thinking white water rafting, or canyoning maybe. Trip up the Zugspitz if it doesn't cost the world. So, what did you like doing there the best? Restaurant ideas are good too, doesn't need to be German. (getting a bit tired of that, if you know what I mean). Breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Posted by
956 posts

Jo, do you have US military privileges? We bought our tickets for the Zugspitz through the MWR center. (Can't for the life of me remember how much it was.) Among other tours and stuff. Besides that, we did enjoy a pizzeria near the Irish Pub. (And no, it wasn't the Pizza Hut.) It's been four years so I don't remember the exact address, but there's only one Irish pub in Garmisch, so it wouldn't be hard to locate... Our other favorite is a German restaurant, so I won't bother figuring out which one that was! ;) To be honest, when we weren't touring or drinking beer, we really just enjoyed simply walking in the pedestrian-only zone. We LOVE Garmisch. My husband is always looking for jobs there... I'm jealous, ENJOY!

Posted by
16178 posts

We love the Klamm hikes, particularly the Hõllental Klamm. Continue past the end 30 minutes to the hut for refreshment and Zugspitze views. The hike/Klettersteig across the face of the Alpspitze, fro the top of the cable car, is not difficult and lots of fun. Or ride a lift up Qank to watch the paragliders take off. Our favorite restaurant is the Alpenhof, in the pedestrian One. German, but modern and fresh rather than traditional. Follow with dessert ay Dolomiti Eiscafe.

Posted by
8938 posts

Yeah, staying at the Edelweiss, just for the heck of it. The huge rooms were a plus, otherwise, would have stayed someplace else. Sometimes it is fun for us to experience being in little America, since we don't get back to the States more than every 3-5 years. Any city tours or historic kind of places there that you have been on personally? Museums, etc.?

Posted by
12040 posts

"Any city tours or historic kind of places there that you have been on personally? Museums, etc.?" If there are any museums in town, I haven't seen them. The more historic area is over on the Partenkirchen side. The Garmisch side is more of a resort. Sorry to hear that you're staying at the Edelweis, though. It sits over on the far end of Garmisch, and if I remember correctly, it's surrounded by a barbed wire fence. Of all the resort hotels, its probably the least convenient to the train station.

Posted by
38 posts

Hi Jo, We were in Garmisch in May. Watch for clear skies on the Zugspitz each morning and go for it when it is clear. The only day that it was clear for us was the day that we had committed to going to Neuschwanstein. You can buy Zugspitz trip tickets at the gift store in the Edelweiss, but I can't remember if there was really any cost advantage compared to the machines at the train station. The train station is an easy walk from the Edelweiss via the exit to the right of the property as you leave the building. This is not the main Garmisch station.
A hike into the hills beyond the station takes you to the old winter Olympics site including the bob-sled run.

Posted by
338 posts

Definitely go to the Zugspitze. That's the top site in the area in my opnion. As mentioned above, it is a somewhat short walk from the Edelweiss to the Zugspitze train station. I recommend taking the cog wheel to the top and the cable car back down (check to make sure you get on the cable car on the German side, not the Austrian side). Partnach Gorge is a short, but nice hike. There are lots of other trails in the area. This website has some more information on trails in Garmisch: http://www.gapa.de/Garmisch-Partenkirchen_GaPa_Multimedia_tour_planner If you haven't done so, check out the Edelweiss Lodge web site. It has some information on area attractions as well as information on tours. Skip the restaurant at the Edelweiss unless you're in the mood for American food. The hotel is nice but it and the food in the restaurant reminded me a bit of an airport Marriot, albeit one with a really nice view. You will have to walk a bit or take a cab to eat anywhere else in town. Have fun.

Posted by
813 posts

For dinner, we asked the gals working at the dirndl store where their favorite place is, so we went to Colosseo. It's Italian, we all had a great time and some of the best Italian! The tiramisu was fantastic and I've eaten a lot of tiramisu. Portions are big, too. For fun, at the base of the Zugspitze gondola in Eibsee is a kletterwald (forest ropes course), which is always fun.

Posted by
956 posts

Jo, we looked into the Edelweiss, the rooms look beautiful online. But it was kind of pricey and actually way more expensive than the B&B that we ended up staying at right in the center of town. But I can't imagine you'll be disappointed. The lobby was so pretty. Sort of like a mountain lodge. The views out front of the Alps are simply stunning. One of my best pictures of them was waiting out front for one of our tours. The tours we did would probably be of no interest to you as they were out of town -- Neuschwanstein and the 4 country tour. But at least you'll be able to score your Zugspitz tix for cheaper. And they have other tours available for purchase that may be of interest to you.

Posted by
833 posts

Amy - wanted to say that even though I was only in Garmisch for two days, I went to that Irish Pub and know exactly which pub you mean, so yes - it will not be too hard to find or figure out! Unfortunately I don't remember the name either. Garmisch has some wonderful guide websites since it is a resort town, here is a link to one of them: http://www.gapa.de/Garmisch-Partenkirchen_GaPa_Multimedia_tour_planner . It will list some restaurants and could be helpful. Like Lola, I recommend Alpenhof. I didn't get to do the Zugspitz last time, but hope to return and do it. I know my father loved it when he was in Garmisch.

Posted by
8938 posts

I actually stayed in the Edelweiss the first week that it opened, and thought the views were spectacular, plus the rooms are huge. Since I am taking the young ladies, thought it would be good as they can share a bed and I can have one. Sad to hear the food hasn't improved a bit over the years. I thought it was pretty appalling when I was there but chalked it up to it being newly opened, haven't worked the kinks out. So, will seek other venues for our meals. I may head into Munich for the day when the girls go white water rafting. There is a walking tour there that I want to go on. Or, I might just laze around in the hot tub and sauna at the hotel! The gorge walk sounds good too, and taking the cable car to the top of the Zugspitz is a must if the weather plays nicely. The whole summer has a been a bust here so far, with rain almost every day the past 3 months, so hopefully the skies will clear up in Sept. Thanks for all the good ideas. Looked at the google earth street view for directions from the bahnhof, so that looks pretty easy.

Posted by
12040 posts

Jo, if you want to try one of the most rewarding hikes in the area (and you have all day and are in pretty good shape), you can attempt the hike to Ludwig's Königshaus am Schachen- basically, a Persian-themed mountain chalet where he would take his... um... special friends... I've attempted the hike twice, but had to turn back both times because of bad weather.

Posted by
2829 posts

The Zugspitze is an attraction not to be missed in a clear skies day. The views are stunning, and the structures high there are much more than what you'd normally find in a ski resort. Before october, many trails are opened. They are well worth the trip.

Posted by
115 posts

go to dinner at the Gasthof Fraundorfer.....a small family run Inn we I stayed at with my 3 twenty somethings...very authentic and warm people, When in town definitely go here for dinner (make a reservation) for absolutely wonderful food (my father in law was a german chef too) and during dinner they have a small show....with the alpine accordian style music and they have local young men come in and perform traditional dances once or twice. (not constant) You do sit at a table with others (unless you have a large group) and we enjoyed it (even tho our table mates were silent...we had fun) you feel that restaurant is truly like it was a long time ago....with modern amenties added! Great memories !

Posted by
12 posts

Here are some attractions in the general area (less than an hour away): The Open Air Museum in Glentleitn The small town of Oberammergau
Linderhof Castle (one of King Ludwig II's)

Posted by
8938 posts

Back from my excursion down South. We rode the regional trains last Sunday using the Happy Weekend ticket for 39 € and came back yesterday using the Quer Durch Deutschland ticket for 54 €. Long train rides to be honest, with 3 changes and time taking over 7 hours. Coming back, we stopped in Munich to walk around for a couple of hours. Kind of underwhelmed and thought the bahnhof was rather ugly compared to our beautiful, historic one in Frankfurt. (sorry Munich lovers!) Visited 4 of the recommended churches on the Rick walk and they were beautiful, but have seen so many more in other towns and cities which were more stunning. I think Mainz and Frankfurt, as well as some of the smaller towns around here, have more awe-inspiring, breath-taking churches. Perhaps I was expecting to be wowed by Munich due to all the press Rick gives it and everyones desire to go there, but it was just ok. Had some pretty buildings, the Viktuallen Markt was nice too, but I don't understand the huge hype this city receives. Anyway, Garmisch was lovely, had a couple of beautiful sunrises, and a fun day just wandering around the shopping district. One of the things we wanted to do was go white water rafting, and one company, All Things Garmisch was able to book us a trip for 58 euro p.p. Had a fantastic time, screaming and laughing the whole way. They offered other tours too, but I was out of money and out of time. Will use their services for some more excursions next time we visit Garmisch. Didn't make it up to the Zugspitz, as I found the price of over 50 euro p.p to be a bit much for my wallet this trip, since there was 3 of us. Enjoyed watching the paragliders every morning coming down over the mountains though.

Posted by
3696 posts

Jo... sounds fun and new things I need to explore when I get back to Germany.
As far as Munich... all the hype... that is one reason I like to arrive at a location mostly naive and clueless...the more I hear about how great a place is, the more I expect, and I am usually not as excited as if I had made my own discoveries. First trip to Munich I expected nothing, so when I was there with my college age daughter and the city had a youthful vibe and there was a Peruvian band playing street music (she had been to Peru) we had a great day. Its like the movie or the book that has been so over hyped, and on top of it you already know the ending... not as much fun for me.

Posted by
12040 posts

I like Munich well enough, but I admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by it the first time as well. Maybe because I had just visited St. Petersburg, Vilnius, Warsaw, Krakow and Prague.