Please sign in to post.

Solo traveler on ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn

On my upcoming vacation (3 weeks on my own in the Nordic countries), I'll be taking the overnight ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn. I'm a 50-something single male, and I'm wondering a few things about the ferry trip. 1. Should I pay extra for a private cabin? I want to sleep and I'm worried about partying Swedes coming into the cabin very late, making noise, and keeping me awake? But it's a big cost difference. Is it worth it? 2. If I reserve for the buffet dinner, do they have any kind of communal table for single travelers, or would I be seated at a table by myself? Is the buffet dinner worthwhile? I'm not especially on a tight budget, but would it be worth it to bring my own food on board and save money that way? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Posted by
1525 posts

If it were me doing it solo, I would spring for as private a room as possible and partially offset the cost by not buying food on board. Bring sandwich-type stuff with you.

Posted by
9099 posts

The addition to the sit-down restaurants, the ships also have a quick service snack-bar setup with baguettes, pizza, and similar stuff. You won't go hungry;)

Posted by
4535 posts

I don't remember the cost difference, but I had a single cabin in the deep bowels of the ship and it seemed pretty economical to me. All I used it for was to sleep. The buffet dinner is at a common table so you'll get to meet others. They will assign you a seat. One time I met a nice guy and we had a long talk. The other time it was a family and about all we said was hello. I loved the buffet and you'll gets lots of selection and more food than you can eat. But there are other dining options and bringing your own food is one. Just remember that the ferry is an experience and don't shortchange that experience in the name of frugality.