Please sign in to post.

Airfare unusually high?

My month of September just opened up and I was hoping to turn that free time in to a trip to Europe. I started pricing flights and they seem uncharacteristically high compared to when I've priced September flights in the past.
I guess my question is, are these prices consistent with years past or are they higher than usual for September?

Posted by
23267 posts

All indications from travel articles are that European flights are trending higher for several reasons and probably will remain so. Oil is going up and look like it might stay up. Has been major consolidation in airlines with a reduction in the number of seats available so less pressure to reduce prices to fill seats that are now full. And, of course, the usual mystery of how prices are set. If everyone is reluctant to fly at those prices, then maybe they might come down. It is a dice roll.

Posted by
2788 posts

Not only did I find my yearly flight to Europe more expensive by several hundred dollars but the darn airfare between here in Hawaii and the mainland just keeps going up too. Up over $200 from just a year ago on the same airline. Glad I get to fly on miles every so often.

Posted by
1717 posts

This year, the prices for airline tickets are much higher than the prices were before the year 2010. Can you go to Europe in October ?
The prices for American Airlines tickets for flying to Europe or Britain are generally lower for travel after October 15.

Posted by
1994 posts

This year I considered patching together a flight into London, and then RyanAir to my final destination. It would have saved a few hundred dollars. Ultimately, I decided it wasn't worth the hassle (changing airports, possibly missing a connection, missed touring time, etc).

Posted by
32202 posts

Jesse, I've found that prices seem to be somewhat higher this year, and there are probably several reasons for that. I saw one news report recently that indicated the cost of jet fuel has increased 40% in the last year, but airlines haven't yet passed all of that onto consumers. Another factor could be that a few airlines have decllared bankruptcy, while others have "mothballed" part of their fleet (older, less fuel-efficient aircraft). That has resulted in fewer seats and therefore more demand for available space (and hence higher prices). Having said that, I found that my costs this year were several hundred dollars less than last year. That's likely because I'm using different inbound and outbound cities, and different airline combinations than last year. If you have a chance to travel in September, my suggestion would be to grab the opportunity (if you can afford it), as fuel prices probably aren't going to get any cheaper. Happy travels!

Posted by
175 posts

In addition to the higher price of oil and other factors that have been mentioned, I read on a travel agent blog that new legislation requires that airlines publish ACTUAL fares instead of fares plus taxes and fees and surcharges. They can still withhold extra fees, like for checked bags, but the published fare has to include fees and taxes, so the fares may look a lot higher in comparison than they actually are. Since it's a US legislation, I don't know how that affects international flights, or international carriers, but that's what I read. Now, I'm not saying they aren't also higher, but that may be why it seems like such a huge difference.

Posted by
951 posts

I usually fly to europe in the last week of November. I have my travel eye on London and Paris this year, flying into and out of the respective cities......I want to book so bad so I can get the apartment rentals that I want but can't ever imagine paying $1200 for early winter travel. I have never paid that much from Tampa for that time of year. I know that winter fare sales have not kicked in, I guess I am somewhat impatient. So I feel your pain. Good luck getting abroad!

Posted by
158 posts

Despite the rise in fuel costs, etc ticket prices should still be lower in the winter, right? I'm planning on flying in early January but as of right now the prices are still around $1200. Is it just wishful thinking that they will follow trend and drop later in the year?

Posted by
1976 posts

If you have the time and can afford it, go in September! I booked my trip about a month ago, flying STL - Dulles - CDG on Sept. 13 and then LHR - EWR - STL on Sept. 30, and paid $1,300. I was shocked by the cost. I really thought prices would be cheaper in the fall than in the summer, but guess not this year.

Posted by
441 posts

I just got tickets for October. I'll be flying into Venice, from Florence to Munich and from Munich to Houston. They cost $1274 but the price dropped about $200 a couple of days ago. These are for KLM.