Please sign in to post.

Stolen engagement ring at Madrid Airport - Help!

Two days ago my engagement ring was lost or stolen going through the departure security gate in Terminal 1. I thought all metal items had to be removed, and erred on the side of caution, putting my ring in a tray along with some other stuff. After going through the scanner I picked up the tray and my went suitcase and took it to a table nearby; I then took my things out of the tray, picked up my suitcase and took it to a nearby seat where I put my things in my bag and zipped it up. Realised I didn't have my ring, went back to table/tray but no ring there; searched through suitcase but not there either. I tried talking to security officials, information, lost property, Guardia Civil, Police etc but noone really cared or helped thoroughly search for my ring. Police told me to call to make a denuncia but I see online that violent force must be involved in a robbery, not where the thief is unknown. There was a security camera above the table where my tray was, and I really want airport staff/police to review this. I know that a civilian may have stolen it, but due to the especial unhelpfulness of security staff, I have reason to suspect that one of them stole it. It is very valuable, both monetarily and sentimentally. My insurance company is being very helpful, and they will accept a claim based on what I have told them - but they can't replace my ring! I believe that what happened should be in that security camera footage. Does anyone have any advice for what I can do, people I can talk to who will LISTEN?

Posted by
32171 posts

Isabella, Unfortunately, theft at airport security lines is a common tactic used by thieves. If the ring was stolen by one of the security staff, I doubt the airport management would admit it. If it was stolen by another traveller, it's doubtful they would ever be able to locate him, as he's probably now in a different county. The security camera footage may indeed show the theft taking place, but they may not be able to identify the culprit. In my experience, the authorities tend to view these incidents in terms of a "cost vs benefits". Although I can appreciate how important the ring is to you, there's no way they will spend huge amounts of money and investigative resources to solve numerous "petty crimes". Other than filing a Police report and a claim with your insurance company, I'm not sure what other options you have? The only other option that comes to mind would be to contact the local media (especially TV News). Perhaps they'd be interested in doing a story on thefts at the local airport. That might "encourage" the authorities to look more closely at your case? Good luck!

Posted by
676 posts

Talk to the people at your hotel and see if they can help by calling. However, I have to tell you I think it may be gone for good, so sorry!

Posted by
23177 posts

What this should remind everyone is the need for a plan for going through security where the little items can be "lost." Since we travel with carryon we have a plan. Prior to the security line we take time to strip ourselves clean. Everything, watches, camera, belts, rings, change, go into a zipper bag, which is buried in the carryon behind a secured zipper. Once pass the initial security id check, the passport goes into the bag. At the x-ray machine all we have is our shoes, carryon bag, and the ipad in a soft case. After security we find a quiet corner to put ourselves back together again. Just have to do that. If something is taken, you don't have the time to sort it out. You have a plane to catch. It is either the security staff or the passenger behind you.

Posted by
3057 posts

Given the protests going on in Madrid right now, I can't imagine the police would get very interested in a stolen ring. They probably assume it is futile to try to track it through the video and don't have time anyway. Unfortunately this stuff happens. You have to be very careful of your items and, I hate to say it but you should not take off valuable rings. They will not set off the metal detector. I am sorry this happened to you.

Posted by
875 posts

I always wear my wedding ring, my watch, and my earrings through the metal detector. Any other jewelry I carry is zipped into a small bag which is then usually zipped into a compartment in my carry on bag. My husband goes thru security in front of me so he can watch my belongings come out as I'm going thru X-ray. Unfortunately this is one of those very hard lessons in life. Take the money from the insurance co, and you and your fiancé make a special occasion out of replacing it....kind of like renewing vows. Remember...the ring is only the symbol for your relationship, even though I know this. is a traumatic loss for both of you.
Best wishes on your engagement and wedding. Try to put this bad experience behind you so you can enjoy the time before your wedding.