Please sign in to post.

A (long) day in Rome - Thoughts?

Hi All, My husband and I have a one day stopover in Rome. We arrive in Rome at 7:20 am and our departing flight is at 10:15 pm. We have never been to Rome before and would like to see the major attractions but we don't plan to do any "tours". We like to walk around and read bits and pieces rather than have a guide. We also don't feel like we need to see every part of a museum or site; we get the jist and move on. (We spent probably ten minutes in the Sagrada Familia, an hour and half in the Louvre : )) This is my plan so far - that I am sure requires some help! Arrive at 7:20 - take Leonardo Express to Termini, then take the train to the Colosseo station. Arrive at Colosseum by 9:30 am with tickets purchased in advance. 9:30 - 11:30 Visit the Colosseum, Forum and Panthenon for two hours. 12:00 - sit down lunch somewhere for an hour and half (suggestions?) 1:30 - take taxi to Vatican City 2:00 - 4:00 - tour Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc. for two hours (purchase tickets in advance) 4:30 - take taxi to Piazza Navona. Walk around and have a coffee. 6:00 - Dinner (suggestions?) 8:00 - take subway or taxi back to airport. Obviously my times wont work precisely, but thats my rough estimate. What do you think? Doable?

Posted by
15144 posts

first to get to the colosseum you need to transfer to the subway at Termini. there is no train going to the colosseum. Assuming everything goes according to plan (i.e. you can actually make it to the colosseum by 9:30am) what do you want to see at the Vatican? Two hours are really tight. The sistine chapel is inside the Vatican museums. To tour St. Peter's Basilica and Vatican museums in 2 hours (and the two are a walk from each other) you really need to rush through the whole thing. Dinner at 6:00pm may mean a quick bite or a panino at a bar because real restaurants won't be open before 7-7:30pm. From piazza navona area the quickest way to the airport is likely a taxi, however 8pm is also rush hour. The alternative is subway/bus to termini then Leonardo Expr to FCO. Either way it's almost an hour travel.

Posted by
32198 posts

Miriam, Your tentative plans may be possible, but that's a rather "tight" schedule. A few thoughts.... > The Colosseum and Forum are relatively close to each other. The Musei Capitolini are also in the same general area. However the Pantheon is some distance away and there are no Metro stations nearby. Were you planning on walking? Buses may be a possibility? In any case, two hours to see all three sites is a bit "ambitious". > As Roberto mentioned, two hours may also be a bit challenging at the Vatican. Depending on the crowds at the time, it could take half an hour or more to even get in the door. > Piazza Navona is a good place to spend some time, although of course it's "touristy". I find the Cafes right on the Piazza to be on the "pricey" side, and being approached by Waiters and aggressively "encouraged" to sit down is a bit annoying. While it may seem attractive to sit right in the Piazza and enjoy a fine hot meal, keep in mind that you'll pay more to sit outside. Also, Italian meals tend to be a somewhat "lengthy" endeavor and service may not always be fast, so you'll have to factor that into your schedule. Having said that, one place that you might have a look at is Ponte e Parione,, which is on Via Santa Maria dell' Anima, one of the "back streets" off Piazza Navona. The food is good but I've found the service to be somewhat "erratic" - good on some days and exceptionally SLOW on others (the Waitress is better at customer service than her torpid male counterpart). As I recall, the #64 or #40 Buses run close to Piazza Navona, so that would be one way to get back to Termini. Use the Leonardo Express back to the airport. Happy travels!

Posted by
755 posts

Skip the Vatican. Two hours would be a rush and a blur (even longer it can be a blur). Likewise, trying to squeeze the other sights into two hours would be difficult, and the Pantheon is a distance from the other two. I suggest that since it is your first trip to Rome, you focus on one major sight (or two like the Forum and Colosseum since they are right next to each other), then just walk around, pop into the pantheon, stroll by the Trevi fountain, visit the cat sanctuary in Largo Argentina, stop by a church or two (such as Santa Maria della Vittoria), grab some pizza and hang out in Campo de Fiori, and just slow down.
You will enjoy it more.

Posted by
1825 posts

Skip the Vatican. Do the Coloseum as planned and then do Rick's "Nighttime Walk" even though it will be during the daytime.

Posted by
32704 posts

Can I respectfully suggest that if your flight is to Israel you are almost certainly in danger of missing your flight if you don't leave for the airport well before 7. Especially if it should be El Al or anything is brewing. If you think that security to get back to the States is long, tedious and exceedingly thorough, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Israeli and especially El Al security makes the TSA look like they're sittin' on a beach chair having a beer. I speak with the voice of experience.

Posted by
11613 posts

Unless you must go to the Vatican museums, I'd say skip it. It's not an aesthetic or spiritual experience lately (crowds and in the Sistine Chapel guards yelling "No Flash" and "Quiet" and "Don't sit there"). Not in a particular order: If you can get tickets for Galleria Borghese (you need them in advance), you'll have no more than two hours to tour the museum (you'll be assigned an entry time, get there 30 minutes before) and then walk through the park to the Pincio, look at great views of Rome, take the footpath down to Piazza del Popolo, and have your walk around Rome. While you're in Piazza Navona, check out Campo dei Fiori and the Pantheon (have your coffee at Sant'Eustachio, famous for coffee) - and have lunch at one of the little restaurants in between. See the Colosseum (allow for travel time between there and Galleria Borghese) and maybe visit Trajan's Markets (sparsely visited but very interesting). If you start with the Colosseum and stop by Trajan's markets, you can visit the Piazza Navona area, the Trevi Fountain, have an early dinner on a side street rather than on the beaten path in any of these areas, and you'll have spent a full and varied day in Rome without always being in a crush of tourists. For early dinner: beware of restaurants that offer continuous or "no stop" service.

Posted by
32704 posts

How early do you need to be at airport check-in for your 2215 flight? Surely, even if it is a domestic flight, at least 2 hours. International, 3 hours. Did you check your luggage through or do you need to reclaim it from a left luggage place? How much time for that? Do note, as mentioned, that Rome's rush hour is later than in Toronto. It is 2 km from the Colosseum to the Pantheon but at least half an hour to walk on the crowded narrow pavements and cobblestones. You need to clear a security line at the Vatican Museums even if you have tickets. The crowds at the Vatican Museums won't let you rush through to the Sistine Chapel. They are like a wall to wall wall which moves slowly. You have to go all the way through the length of the Vatican Museums to reach the Sistine Chapel. It is uncertain if you could sneak out the secret door, as it often is blocked, and may well need to walk all the way back to the front, then half a mile around the outside to St Peters. There is another security line there. I'm not certain that your times can work out.

Posted by
4152 posts

This agenda is just too ambitious. You won't have enough time to visit everything on the list even though it appears you are the "hit and run" type of visitor. I do think it's possible to visit the colosseum and forum in two hours but you'll practically be running through them. As for lunch, you can grab a panini and a drink and be done in 1.5 hours but I doubt that you'll find a restaurant where that will happen. As others have said, you should skip the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel and just visit the basilica. After that you can walk to the Piazza Navona and then visit the Pantheon. They are about a 5 minute walk from each other. You don't say where your flight is headed to but if it's back home to Toronto you'll need to be at the airport by 7:15 at the latest. This means you'll need to leave the city no later than 6:30. If you are going to another European city you'll need to be at the airport no later than 8:15 so you'll need to leave the city no later than 7:30. If you have a flight that leaves at 10:15 and you don't leave the city until 8 pm it means you won't get to the airport until right before 9. Checking in and going through security can literally take hours. The lines are long and move very slowly. I wouldn't take the chance of missing my flight but that's your choice. Good luck, Donna

Posted by
11294 posts

To add to everyone else's replies: Lunch in Rome is eaten from 1 PM to 3 PM or so, and dinner is from 8 PM to 10 or 11 PM. Some restaurants will be open "early" (12:30 for lunch, and 7:30 or even 7 for dinner), but many won't. Meals are lengthy affairs and you can't always rush the servers, even with explanations (it's just not how they're programmed). And getting the check often takes a long time as well. So, if you want a blitz tour, I'd plan on getting sandwiches or takeout, and forget about restaurants. If you do want a restaurant meal, plan on missing other things. Personally, I think spending a few hours over lunch is key to understanding what makes Rome special, but I do understand your time is limited. And yes, if your plan leaves at 10:15 PM, you won't be having dinner in Rome and still making the plane. I don't know if there's any decent food at the airport.

Posted by
7 posts

Hi All and thanks for the replies! It looks like I definitely did need feedback! I like Donna's plan of visiting the Colleseum and Forum first. I do want to have a nice lunch and not something on the go - I agree with Harold that spending a few hours on nice lunch is part of experiencing a city. Any recommendations on lunch if you had just one meal in Rome?! We don't mind something expensive but would rather not have a touristy meal either. I want to eat the best pasta and pizza ever. After lunch, does it make sense to just visit the basilica, then walk to
Piazza Navona, perhaps visit the Pantheon and walk around? I'm not dead set on the Pantheon - I didndt realize it was far from the Colleseum and Forum so I grouped them all together originally. I don't need to go to the Vatican - I just thought it would be interesting and cool and I like old churches and museums. I am not religious so I would not be looking for a religious exeperience or something spiritual. I would probably be happy just looking at the buildings from the outside : ) Our flight is to Tel Aviv, so I think we leave to the airport the latest at 7 pm - either taxi or metro..

Posted by
11613 posts

Miriam, you might also be just as happy looking at the Forum from the Via dei Fori Imperiali on your way to or from the Colosseum. I was at the Forum in July and several parts of it were covered in scaffolding or were not accessible (although there was plenty left to see).

Posted by
1994 posts

I strongly second Nigel's advice. Given the chaos I've encountered at Rome, and flying to Israel, I'd aim to get to the airport 4 hours ahead (but I particularly hate sprinting through airports). If you're flying either El Al or Alitalia you're likely to need extra time cushion at the airport (for VERY different reasons).

Posted by
282 posts

For my one meal in Rome, I would go to Roscioli or Piperno.

Posted by
7 posts

I appreciate the warnings re: flying to Tel Aviv - I've flown to Israel probably 20 times in the last eight years, so I am used to the longer than average security. We are flying Al-Italia and our baggage will be checked from the first flight so we won't need to recheck. I do plan on leaving a larger buffer now though! I will check out those restaurant recommendations, thanks!

Posted by
7 posts

Well, I certainly do appreciate the honesty! I guess i'll be grabbing a sandwich to go while hoofing it around the city! I was imagining ravioli and wine and tiramisu and a cappuccino...oh well. I didnt plan a few days in Rome originally because I couldn't find a cheap enough flight. I ended up paying $1200 per ticket round trip to Israel with this connection. Now I am considering just booking a separate ticket from Rome to Tel Aviv a few days later for $250 pp and foregoing that first connection just so we can spend some more time in Rome...(if I can't change the connection with the airline -doesn't seem likely as I booked through a third-party site).

Posted by
32198 posts

Miriam, Re-scheduling your flights to allow more time in Rome is a great idea, if it's possible (and not too expensive). That way you should be able to cover all the locations on your list, and still enjoy the fine hot meal that you envisioned.

Posted by
2362 posts

Are you considering not continuing on your journey on that ticket, just dropping that part? Might do some research on doing that as I seem to have read maybe on this website that an airline might not honor your return ticket if you did not complete the original flights? Hopefully others on this site can clarify.

Posted by
7 posts

Yep - you were right! I can't change the flight or just drop that leg... I will have to come back to Rome another time.

Posted by
11613 posts

Miriam, you can get great pizza at some stand-up places between Piazza Navona and the Pantheon (some have a little outside seating at no extra cost) as well as great gelato, but please, no cappuccino after a meal (have all you want at breakfast or before noon). If you decide to go to St. Peter's Basilica, there are side streets with great pizza as well, sold by the slice.

Posted by
11294 posts

Miriam: Heed Gail's warning!! If you miss any part of your ticketed itinerary, the airline WILL cancel the rest. If you want to change your itinerary, call the ticket seller NOW and find out how much it will cost - and be prepared for sticker shock (my sister is still reeling from what she would have had to pay to change a ticket a few years ago!)

Posted by
787 posts

I think your time will be less rushed if you skip the Vatican area, and it sound like you didn't have your heart set on a particular sight there anyway. If you like churches, there are plenty of churches closer to (for example) the Piazza Navona area that are beautiful and have great art by folks like Michelangelo and Caravaggio. In terms of having something to eat, yes, places like Roscioli are great (we had lunch there on our last visit to Rome), but if you want a beautiful outdoor experience at a cafe, then you can do that too, with the amount of time that you have. The cafes in Piazza Navona are open all the time and serve food all the time, so you could have an Italian meal - it wouldn't be the best food, but I think it would be a very good experience. We spent about 1 1/2 one evening at Tri Scalini in Piazza Navona last trip, sipping glasses of wine, and being very entertained watching the waiters entice people into the restaurants - one guy was particularly good at it. And it is a bit overpriced, but the location is worth something. Also, you can get great pizza by the slice in several places; our favorite is called La Florida, on via Florida, 25, across the street from Largo Argentina (where Julius Caesar was assissinated, BTW). One or two tiny tables, or eat your pizza while gazing at the ruins.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Miriam. I agree with the others in that you should definitely skip the Vatican Museums, Sistine chapel & St. Peter's. I would concentrate on the Colosseum & Forum in the morning, then eat lunch and visit Piazza Navona, the Pantheon & Campo de Fiori (they're all in close proximity). After that, you can make your way to the Spanish Steps area and also visit the Trevi Fountain. I wouldn't try to cram anything else in the day because you'll end up frantically running from site to site. You'll of course need to build transit time into this plan in terms of allowing time to/from each area & site. As it is, you'll be going a fairly fast pace to see the above mentioned sites. If time allows, you can stop somewhere in the afternoon for a coffee & gelato or pastry & just sit & take in the scenery. Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport as others have pointed out because you definitely don't want to miss your flight to Tel Aviv. I would leave the Centro Storico Rome area at 6pm and allow an hour to get to the airport and then 3 hours to get through security, etc. This might leave you with too much time on your hands in the airport but I'd rather have more time than less time & risk not making the flight. Plan on having dinner in the airport prior to your flight.

Posted by
3 posts

I would take one of the on-off buses that do a loop through Rome. You will see most of the sites and be able to get off where you want. If you buy a one day Roma pass (avaialable at the tabacco shop outside the Colosseum Metro station you can use that for your colossuem pass and not have to stand in line. Rome is very busy, so make sure you have a way back to the airport. VERY IMPORTANT: wear a money belt! I got pickpocketed my second day on the subway, but had most of my stuff in a money belt. Bought a new wallet, and they tried again the next day but I caught it.

Posted by
1288 posts

In 2003, my husband and I had the same opportunity. We left Orvieto on a 7:30 train, and arrived about 8:30 (I am looking through my journal as I write this) We bought a 24 hour metro/bus pass and immediately rode the metro out to the stop closest to the Vatican. We spent the morning touring St Peters and going in the Vatican museum. (It was a free day so super crowded-we really only saw the Sistine Chapel) We rode the Metro back to the Spanish Steps area, grabbed a quick bite to eat and then visited the Steps. While enjoying a gelato, we walked down to Trevi Fountain. We then caught a metro to the Colosseum. Once again, it was a free day so no wait for tickets. We spent time there and then toured the forum area. From the forum, we walked over to the Pantheon and then back to Trevi Fountain. We ate our second gelato as we made our way back to the train station to catch a 6:45 train back to Orvieto.We had an absolute blast and had no regrets. What did we give up: Didn't really get to see Vatican Museum- but we knew we would not have had a lot of time anyway. We are glad we saw the Sistine Chapel
Meals: We ate fast and cheap. However, we could have spent some time enjoying a nice dinner and caught a later train back. We just chose not to. We did return to Rome in 2008 and spent several days there. We got to see a lot of the things we missed the first time, but there was just something so special about that one day trip. I am glad we did not cut anything. (and kinda glad I did not ask any advice on the forum and just went with my heart.) We really felt like we had enough time at everything except the Vatican Museum. I will say it was a busy, active day, but we were mentally and physically prepared for it. Bottom line: IT WAS AWESOME. I hope your day there is just as great.

Posted by
1103 posts

From Termini train station, take Metro Line B (Blue) Southbound (Laurentina) two stops to the Colosseo (Colosseum) stop. Visit the Colosseum and the Forum. Go back to the Colosseo Metro stop and take Line B (Blue) Northbound (Rebibbia) two stops back to Termini.  When you transfer at Termini you go from one line to the other and don't pay another fare. Change trains to Line A (Red) Northbound (Battistini) six stops to the Ottaviano/San Pietro stop.  Exit station and walk south on Via Ottaviano, through Piazza del Risorgamente to Piazza San Pietro (St. Peter's Square)   Visit St. Peter's Square  (San Pietro) and St Peter's Cathedral. Note: Perhaps the best gelato in Rome can be found at Old Bridge Gelateria, which is across the street from where people line up to get into the Vatican Museum.     Walk southeast on Via della Conciliazione (a major avenue) to the Tiber River.  Cross the Tiber River on one of the bridges.  We recommend the Ponte Sant Angelo or "Bridge of Angels," which has several Bernini statues of angels on it, which crosses the Tiber at the Castel Sant Angelo.  Continue on Corso Vittorio Emanuele (another major avenue).  Take a left (north) on Corso Rinascimento to Piazza Navona.  Many fountains, artists and other artisan booths are found in this piazza, which is one of the best known in Rome.  
From Piazza Navona walk east to the Pantheon. From there, walk east (crossing Via del Corso) to Trevi Fountain. Then walk north to the Spanish Steps. Near the base of the Spanish Steps, look for a Metro station sign. Take Metro Line A (Red) southbound toward Anagnina) two stops to Termini Station. 

Posted by
1825 posts

Sharon said," visit Piazza Navona, the Pantheon & Campo de Fiori (they're all in close proximity). After that, you can make your way to the Spanish Steps area and also visit the Trevi Fountain."..... That is basically Rick's Night time walk that I recommended. If you pick up the Rome book it will describe the route and give a brief history of each site as well as restaurant recommendations along the way. It will also give insight on how to skip the lines at the Coloseum but on your time schedule I would probably not even try and go inside. Still amazing just standing in front and walking around seeing everything there. I would take a cab from the Coloseum to the rest of the sites that are recommended.

Posted by
372 posts

if you make it to the Pantheon with time to spare, just a block behind and to the left is Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. This church is really nothing from the outside, but really very lovely inside, especially on a sunny day. Look waaaay up at the spectacular blue ceiling, and don't miss the Michelangelo Christ with Cross just to the left of the alter. You can enjoy this church in about 15 minutes! I stumbled upon this church during one visit and go back every time.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Miriam, you mentioned you might be at the Spanish Steps. I have a friend who lives here but His family lives in the city (Rome). He flies back to visit often. Anyway he has always told me of a pizza, hole in the wall, kind of place off to the side at the bottom of the steps. I love the pizza I had a few other places but this one in particular is on my list when I go back for a week, hopefully...One day is just a teaser...We spent a day in Rome in 2007 and rode the red 'hop on hop off, double decker bus. We saw most of the places which you listed. Might be a thought for your day trip....hope it helps..

Posted by
2023 posts

We spent a day in Rome last spring as an excursion from our cruise ship. We had been to Rome four times for five day stays and thought it would simple to do some quick sight seeing. Rome is intense and demanding-but wonderful, of course. Get a good map before your trip and locate your must sees. Skip the Vatican. The Pantheon is amazing and can be seen in 30 minutes or so. We had a wonderful lunch at Cul-de-Sac near Navonna-ate outside so enjoying lunch and people watching at the same time was nice-took about an hour. Be sure to have some change for the metro. Many of the stations can't change large euros-like a twenty. Have a great trip!

Posted by
254 posts

If you enjoy old churches then you should not skip St. Peter's. It is amazing, and climbing to the top offers great views of the city. Skipping the museum and perhaps the crowded Sistine Chapel, I agree with. There are plenty of places to get food on the go near all your stops. The Pantheon doesn't take long, and is sort of close to the Colosseum, but there would be walk time in between. Enjoy whatever time you have, its much better than not seeing Rome at all.

Posted by
11613 posts

Cul de Sac is a good recommendation, it's on Via del Governo Vecchio. There are lots of other options on this street as well, in case it's too crowded.

Posted by
79 posts

My Suggestion is go with a tour guide. They know how to avoid lines, take short cuts, and you will hear about the history while walking, so when you arrive, you get to look and take it in. I did this in Rome, and it was well worth the money. I still have the name of our tour guide if you need a recommendation. Debra