Please sign in to post.

US HAIRSTRAIGHTENERS IN EUROPE....????!!!

what kind of hair straighteners are dual voltage and are inexpensive?? im leaving in march 2013 so if anyone can answer that will be a life saver???? also if my hair straightener is not a dual voltage what do i have to do??

Posted by
1880 posts

You should bring a electric adapter so your plug will work in the wall in Europe. Make sure you have the correct ones for the countries you visit. Italy is different than England, etc. Go to a local travel store, or Target and find the accessories for travel and you will find the plug adapters. You can also buy one at ebags.com One like this will work http://www.ebags.com/product/lewis-n-clark/universal-4-in-1-travel-adapter/103116?productid=1272531 I have this one http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/universal-plug-adapter-kit/97156?productid=1248248 You can use your newer flat iron from the US in Europe, but know that it will make some sounds, and will get hotter than in the US. I have a Conair one that cost @$25. I leave my expensive $100 at HOME. You could damage the flat iron in Europe, so just be aware and listen and watch while you use it. it will get hotter than in the US due to the voltage so be careful while using on your hair. If you have an older model and it's not dual voltage, it will work, you just have to use the plug adapter....or you can't plug it into the outlet!

Posted by
9363 posts

If your trip includes the UK or Ireland you will also need a UK plug adapter. If your hair straightener is not dual voltage, get one that is or buy one once you arrive. You can find an inexpensive one at Target or elsewhere.

Posted by
32171 posts

marysa, The easiest option would be to buy a dual-voltage Hair Straightener from www.magellans.com. It will probably be supplied with a North American Plug, so you will also need Plug Adaptors specific to the countries you'll be travelling in. The U.K. Plug Adaptors have large rectangular pins, while the Continental Europe Adaptors have two round pins. I'd suggest packing along at least two of each type, as they're easily misplaced. They're only a few dollars each, so that's not a huge expense. You can also buy the Plug Adaptors from Magellans. Happy travels!

Posted by
2 posts

i forgot to mention i am going to europe(france,italy,and spain)...thanks

Posted by
33 posts

Marysa, Learn from my mistake. DO not use a flat iron that is not not dual voltage. Converters do not work well on heat appliances. I used my Chi one time and it fried my hair. I bought a dual voltage travel size flat iron at Ulta. I don't remember the cost, but it was worth it to not have fried hair. I have used it on 4 trips to Europe and it works well. Yes it is small, but it gets the job done. It is a T3 single pass compact flat iron. Here is a link to overstock.com. Looks like Amazon is more expensive. http://www.overstock.com/Health-Beauty/T3-SinglePass-Dual-Voltage-Straightening-and-Styling-Iron/5986516/product.html

Posted by
559 posts

Hi Marysa,
If you can't find anything you like and you think you will likely return to Europe, you may consider waiting until you get to Europe to buy one. That way you will KNOW it works and you won't have to worry about it frying your hair. :) Then you can take it back to Europe the next time you need it. I'm never really convinced American hair appliances work in Europe, even with the correct voltage, etc. I tried taking a hair dryers a few years ago (with the appropriate voltage, etc) and it still didn't handle the plugs there and it started smelling like it was burning up. I had to stop using it on day 3 of a 21 day trip. :( Just a suggestion. have fun on your trip!

Posted by
3696 posts

I have also burned up any number of hair appliances even with the 'proper converters/adaptors or whatever. Finally just went to one of the big stores in Europe and bought one. It has since died so I am in the market for a new one, but I used it for a number of years. Seems like there should be some site on line to buy European hairdryers or flatirons.

Posted by
3049 posts

Your cheapest and easiest option is to probably just buy one in Europe. You can get a basic hair straightener for less than 20 euro from any big electronic store or department store. Since you're going to France first, try a Monoprix store, there is usually a big one in the city center of any major city and their prices are decent.

Posted by
713 posts

I'm with the "buy it in Europe" school of thought when it comes to hair dryers and the like (heat producing, power-hungry electrical devices). I bought an electric hair straightener, I call it a "flatiron," at a SuperDrug store in London about 3 years ago for less than $20. Works fine on UK/European voltage, and no worries about frying any or all of: my hair, a converter thingie, the device itself, or the hotel wiring.

Posted by
14 posts

I wouldn't bring your American hair straightener with you. The chances are high that a)It won't work and you'll be carrying it around for nothing b)You'll wreck your expensive tool c)You'll blow a fuse at the hotel (embarrassing, has happened to me) and most likely of all
d) straightening your hair will take too much time and effort in small hotel rooms when you want to be sightseeing already, plus over here the super-straight style is not as ubiquitous for young women so you won't feel like you stick out if you don't straighten. If you really want one, like posters above suggested, you can buy a cheap one in country. Have a great trip :-)

Posted by
118 posts

i brought mine and it did not work! and then i lugged it around for 25 days. not that it was that heavy but still. mad.