Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Rome & Borghese Gallery vs. Nat'l Museum of Rome

We will be traveling to Rome in March, 2013. We will be in Rome for seven nights. We would like to take a day trip, possibly to Pompeii, Florence, or ???? Any suggestions? We have five people in our family, so we would like to take a day trip in which the travel is relatively easy. In addition, I am trying to decide between touring the Borghese Gallery or the National Museum of Rome. Any suggestions?

Posted by
4152 posts

The trip to both Pompeii and Florence are both very easy. I wouldn't make my choice of a day trip based on how easy it is to get to but rather my desire to visit the location. As for choosing between the Borghese or National museums, only you and your family can decide that. Visit their websites to see which your family will prefer. Both are wonderful and offer different collections. It's impossible for strangers to tell you what you would like more. Donna

Posted by
7737 posts

I have to respectfully disagree with Donna about the trip to Pompeii being easy. It certainly can be relatively easy for people who are experienced and comfortable traveling in Italy, but I would caution first-time visitors to give it some thought first. You'll have to do the following: 1. Get from your hotel to Termini train station. 2. Wait for the train to Naples. (There are about two an hour.) 3. Ride the train to Naples. 1 hr, 10 minutes minimum, at least 19 euros per person IF you get the nonrefundable super economy fare (limited availability) 4. Once in the Naples train station, go find the train tracks for the infamous Circumvesuviana train in a different part of the station. (Rick says: "Perhaps your biggest risk of theft is while catching or riding this train.")
5. Wait for the CV train to Pompeii. (There are two trains per hour.) 6. Ride the CV train to Pompeii (about 40 minutes) Once you're finished at the ruins, you have to do that all again, in reverse. Florence as a daytrip is more straightforward - Termini to Florence (Firenze S.M. Novella) for an 1 1/2 hr ride.

Posted by
7737 posts

As for the question of the Borghese versus the NMR, it's worth noting that you have to get reservations to get into the Borghese, whereas the NMR is almost always practically deserted. The NMR features predominantly ancient Roman art. The Borghese is mostly Baroque with LOTS of Bernini statues. I've been to both and would generally recommend the Borghese over the NMR unless you hate Baroque art.

Posted by
4152 posts

I respectfully disagree that you need to be an experienced traveler to make the trip to Pompeii. It's very easy. You take the high speed train from Rome termini to Naples centrale. Once there you go downstairs, buy a ticket for the commuter line and get on the commuter train heading to Sorrento. You get off at the Pompeii scavi stop. I did this trip on my first visit to Italy with absolutely no experience taking trains anywhere. We bought all of our tickets at the station (didn't know you could buy them ahead of time) and got on the next train leaving. It was very easy. I do agree that it's not "as" easy as going to Florence which doesn't require a train change but, all in all, it's not a hard trip to make. As to which you will enjoy more, that's totally up to you. Donna

Posted by
11613 posts

The day trips would make for very long days regardless of which you. Booze. Pompeii requires some transportation changes but the Circumvesuviana will deposit you near the entrance. You can take a fast train to Florence with no changes. As for the Borghese vs. National Museums, at the Borghese you will be limited to a two-hour visit plus one-half hour prior to claim your place ( if you arrive later they may not hold your spot). The national museums are in several locations, so you can choose which you want to see, and possibly do both the Borghese and the National museums.

Posted by
7737 posts

Zoe, I love the typo. I do think one might end up hitting the booze after discovering it can take three hours each way from hotel to Pompeii and back. LOL.

Posted by
11613 posts

Smartphone my ... Don't drink and drive, kids.