Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 302a: Turkey's Black Sea Coast; Ancient World Sightseeing; Walk Through Tangier
Release Date: 10-18-2014
Get tips for viewing ancient temples, amphitheaters and cities in Greece, Turkey and Egypt through the eyes of the people who lived there long ago. Find out about visiting Tangier on the Moroccan side of the Strait of Gibraltar. We'll also look at vacation options for Turkey's un-touristy Black Sea coast.
- Lale Surmen Aran, tour guide based in Istanbul, Turkey
- Colin Clement, tour guide based in Alexandria, Egypt
- Anastasia Gaitanou, tour guide based in Thessaloniki, Greece
- Aziz Begdouri, tour guide and teacher, based in Tangier, Morocco
- dispatch from bicycle traveler and author Willie Weir
- Lale Surmen Aran runs SRM Travel, a tour company based in Turkey:
- Colin Clement has written an article explaining the international effort to uncover ancient underwater ruins near Alexandria. It’s on the website for the public television program Nova.
- Colin Clement wrote an article for Archeology magazine about a Roman shipwreck found off the coast of Alexandria, Egypt
- Anastasia Gaitanou has a listing on the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations
- The ancient sites of Mycenae is not far to the south of Athens.
- Pausanius' travels are available online from Fordham University.
- Vergina is an important Macedonian royal tomb in northern Greece, where ancient artifacts had remained, when it was discovered in the 19th century.
- Aziz Begdouri runs a guest house in Tangier called La Maison Blanche.
- Willie Weir’s book of travel essays is called "Travels with Willie."
Miami Beach Haiku
pale moon over sea
dying sun hides behind clouds
frenzied world pauses
sands shift under foot
waves break, light breeze stirs sea oats
peaceful joy swells heart
cloud caps catch last light
eastward sky brightens like dawn
day succumbs to night
— Ron Feldheim, Miami Beach, FL