Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 228c: European Christmas Preparations
Release Date: 12-20-2014
In Europe, Santa Claus has some rather interesting relatives. Get acquainted with such characters as Baba Noel, Grandfather Frost, Saint Nicholas, Krampus, and even Samichlaus and Schmutzli. Listen in as friends from Madrid, Rome, London, and Lisbon tell us about their cities’ Christmas traditions, then hear how the holidays are celebrated in Bulgaria, the Swiss and Austrian Alps, and in the Low Countries.
- Federico García Barroso, tour guide based in Madrid, Spain
- Susannah Peruccini, tour guide based in Rome, Italy
- Tom Hooper and Gillian Chadwick, certified guides based in London
- Cristina Duarte, tour guide based in Lisbon, Portugal
- Lyuba Boyanin, proprietor of LyubaTours in Sofia, Bulgaria
- Call-out to Olle Eggiman, schoolteacher in Gimmewald, Switzerland
- Call-out to Gabi Koch, at her family-owned Hotel Maximilian in Reutte, Austria
- Ferdi Menghi and Nina Dierckx, European tour guides raised in Belgium
- Rick Steves’ “European Christmas” TV special airs on public TV stations this time of year. Rick Steves also enables you to watch the full show for free online.