Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 322a: Stones of England; Stockholm Al Fresco, The Finnish Sauna
Release Date: 09-27-2014
A guide shows us how to enjoy the Swedish capital al fresco, where the locals make it a priority to get outdoors, any time of year. We'll also explore the mysteries of the ancient stone circles and prehistoric monuments of England. And we'll hear how taking a sauna is an important part of life in Finland.
- The National Trust has information online about visiting Britain's largest ancient stone circle at Avebury, and the popular stone circle and surrounding grounds at Stonehenge.
- Mark Seymour offers guided tours of stone sites in the southwest of Britain.
- Åsa Danielsson has a profile on the Viator website, which provides a link for booking her walking tours in Stockholm.
- Information about the newly-opened ABBA museum in Stockholm.
- A BBC reporter got a preview of the exhibitions at the ABBA Museum just before it opened in May 2013.
- Rick writes about historical sites and the old town of Stockholm.
- Information about the Skansen open-air folk museum.
- Visitors can only tour the Stockholm City Hall with a guided tour.
- An English-language guide to maps and trip planning for the Stockholm subway system.
- Wikipedia has an entry about the Af Chapman clipper ship and hostel in Stockholm, which includes a link for reservations.
- Den Gyldene Freden (The Golden Peace) in old town Stockholm is one of the world's oldest restaurants, and comes recommended by Åsa.
- Helsinki's official tourism site has an English-language guide to saunas around the city.
- The Finnish Sauna Society has six saunas available for its members and guests.
Pgm 322 extra — England - Caller Cindy from Tennessee asks if tourists can volunteer to participate in archaeological excavations in Britain. Mark Seymour notes there are an estimated 800 to 1300 stone sites that have been identified so far in Britain. (runs 1:17)
Pgm 322 extra — Sweden - Åsa Danielsson takes pride in Sweden’s surprisingly influential pop music industry. (runs :43)