Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 406: Breakfast In America; Four Corners Road Trip; Indonesia Etc.
Release Date: 05-23-2015
Listen in as Elizabeth Pisani shares tales of her year-long voyage to get reacquainted with the world's fourth most populous country ― what she calls the "improbable" nation of Indonesia. Then learn about where to find some of America’s best breakfasts on your next US road trip – the perfect places get each day started on the right note. And we explore the singular beauty of the Four Corners region of the American Southwest.
- Michael Stern, co-author of "Roadfood USA" (Clarkson Potter)
- tour guide Rick Garman
- Elizabeth Pisani, author of "Indonesia Etc." (W. W. Norton)
- Jane and Michael Stern have an interactive website where you can add in your own road food recommendations at www.roadfood.com.
- The Sterns' classic guide to more than 900 road food establishments around the USA is called "Roadfood," and is in its 9th edition.
- The Roadfood website includes details about the variety of "horseshoe" platters at the diners of Springfield, Illinois.
- Tia Sophia's and Café Pasqual's earn high ratings from diners in Santa Fe.
- Casa Nueva serves a popular breakfast in Athens, Ohio.
- The hearty "Joe's Special" is featured at Frank's Diner in downtown Spokane, Washington.
- The National Park Service maintains extensive information online for planning a visit to Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and Bryce Canyon National Parks.
- The Navajo Nation operates many of the scenic and historic parks in the Four Corners region.
- The rock formation area known as The Wave requires advance hiking permits from the Bureau of Land Management, and is in the north portion of Coyote Buttes in Arizona.
- A list of night sky observatories in Arizona.
- The Ghost Ranch Education and Retreat Center is in "Georgia O'Keeffe country" in Abiquiu, New Mexico.
- The Georgia O'Keeffe Museum is in Santa Fe, New Mexico. It also offers reservation-only tours of O'Keeffe's house and studio in Abiquiu.
- Elizabeth Pisani's book, Indonesia Etc, is published by W. W. Norton.