Program 286: Mothers Day: Sweet Home Croatia; An American Mother in Paris
Release Date: 05-12-2012
Author Jennifer Wilson describes what it was like to relocate her family to the same mountain village in Croatia her great-grandparents emigrated from, an American who married a Frenchman explains what it's like raising her first child in Paris, plus, Rick shares how his mother influenced him as a traveler.
- Jennifer Wilson, author of "Running Away to Home" (St. Martin's Press)
- Mary Bouron, Paris-based mother and tour guide
- Feature includes Alfio DiMauro and Tommaso Pante, tour guides based in Sicily
- Closing essay from Travel with Rick Steves producer Sarah McCormic
- Rick included the tribute to his mother June Steves that he read for this week's program in his blog in January 2012.
- Jennifer Wilson's book about her family adventures in Croatia is called "Running Away to Home." Jennifer's website includes a two-minute video about the experience.
- Tommaso Pante's website is www.sunway.it -- Click on the English flag to find the link to "Mamma Pina's Recipes," where Tommaso has listed several of his mother's Sicilian family favorites.
- Mary Bouron's blog is called "How To Marry A Frenchman," and includes a link to her Paris tours called "Walk Like a Parisian."
- Mary Bouron, (née Mary Campbell) is featured in a video (in French) instructing Parisians on how to prepare an American-style brunch.