Program 319: European Rail; American Comfort Food; Open Phones: More Travel Reports
Release Date: 03-23-2013
- Alan Wissenberg, proprietor of Euraide rail info services at the Munich and Berlin train stations
- Jane Stern and Michael Stern, authors of "Road Food"
- Information about Alan Wissenberg's EurAide rail info service.
- The Sterns have an interactive website where you can add in your own road food recommendations at www.roadfood.com.
- The Sterns' classic guide to more than 700 road food establishments around the USA is called "Road Food," and is in its 7th edition.
- Buford Highway is an area of suburban Atlanta known for its proliferation of ethinc restaurants and stores.
- Information about the Boquería and Saint Catherine's markets in Barcelona.
- Salone Internazionale del Gusto is the Slow Food Conference held in Turin, Italy every-other October.
Pgm 318 Railroad Tips extra - Rick and Alan Wissenberg talk about recent changes to make passenger rail service more efficient in Europe, with a new "pass-through" station recently opened in Berlin, and new central train stations planned for Vienna by 2014, and for Stuttgart in another ten years. (runs 2:35)
Pgm 319 Road Food extra - Rick asks Jane and Michael Stern to compare the "time-warp" places they enjoy eating at, with new road food restaurant finds that still have "soul." (runs 2:23)