Program 367: Driving In Europe; Getting Around Ireland; Exploring Provence
Release Date: 06-14-2014
Cruise your way around Provence and Ireland: We'll look at your options for getting around the Emerald Isle, and for exploring the floral landscapes and villages of southern France. And a pair of professional tour-bus drivers offer tips on what you can expect when navigating the highways of Europe.
- Dimi Rigas, professional tour bus driver based in Belgium
- Jean "Joe" Stulens, professional tour bus driver based in Belgium
- Susie Millar, tour guide based in Northern Ireland
- Barry Moloney, tour guide based in Ireland
- Patrick Vidal, tour guide based in France
- Virginie Moré, tour guide based in France
- Wikipedia provides a list to the highway tunnels of Switzerland.
- The website for the French motorways includes English-language instruction on its automatic toll payment system.
- Barry Moloney conducts historical walking tours of his hometown, Kinsale.
- Susie Millar conducts tours of Belfast, including sites associated with the doomed ship Titanic.
- A guide to the motorways of Ireland includes its expansion plans.
- Barry Moloney notes that the 2010 movie "Leap Year" had scenes filmed in Dingle, Ireland. It was a romantic comedy.
- Rick Steves provides a guide to Ireland's Aran Islands and County Antrim in the northeast, and to the French region of Provence.
- Singer Liam O'Riordan's website for traditional Irish music.
- The Luberon is an area of Provence which Patrick recommends visiting.
- The French-language website for the supermarket chain Carrefour.
- The Provençal market that Patrick recommends is held every Friday morning in Carpentras, a little northeast of Avignon.
- A 2010 article in the Telegraph recommends places to experience "Van Gogh's Provence."
- The Huffington Post describes the newly-opened Fondation Vincent van Gogh in Arles.
- The English-language website for SNCF, the French national railway system.
- The Camargue is a coastal area of Provence in the Rhone River delta where the Pont du Gard is located.
More with Patrick and Virginie - Patrick and Virginie explain to caller Marilyn in Florida how to navigate the toll system on the French highways. (runs 2:52)