Please sign in to post.

Train from Salzburg to Munich Airport

Hello All, Need help with last leg of my Germany/Austria trip in May.
Need to take train from Salzburg to Munich Airport to catch 3:45pm flight back to the States. What is the most time and cost effective way for two persons? I see Bayern Tickets which can be bought on same day and there are discount tickets (non refundable) and regular tickets (some refund, but more expensive)that can/need to be purchased online and in advance. Thank you, Dee

Posted by
19092 posts

Salzburg, although in Austria, is considered a "border" station for the Bayern-Ticket, so that will be your most economical non-prepurchase option. With a Bayern-Ticket, you will be limited to regional trains, but they take only about ½ hr longer than express trains do. You can purchase the Bayern-Ticket for 22€ for one person at a ticket automat right up until departure time at the Salzburg Hbf. You will need to get off in Muenchen Ostbahnhof and take the S-Bahn (S-8) to the airport. The S-Bahn is also covered by the Bayern-Ticket. The hourly trip by regional train/S-bahn takes about 2h46m. You could leave Salzburg at 9:09 and get to the airport at 11:55 or leave at 10:09 and get there at 12:55. You could also get a Saving Fare ticket all the way for as low as 19€ for one person, but you would have to purchase it in advance (3-92 days), and it would only be valid only for the express train specified on the ticket. Also, the ticket prices are tiered; when the 19€ ticket sell out, the next tickets are 24€ or 29€.

Posted by
138 posts

Thank you, Lee. You seem to be so knowledgeable regarding Germany. I have read your other posts. You have been very helpful and I really do appreciate it immensely! Dee

Posted by
19092 posts

Well, Dee. I've spent over 120 days traveling in Germany in the last 12+ years and countless hours researching German travel on the internet. I would hope I had learned something in that time.

Posted by
138 posts

Hi Lee, Went ahead and booked train from Salzburg to Munich Airport for 29 Euro for the two of us. Have another question: We will be dropping off rental car in Freilassing but need to get back to Salzburg (train station)somehow. This is not on the day we are leaving for the airport - it is a couple days before. What is the most time and cost effective way to do this? Thanks Dee

Posted by
37 posts

Hi Dee, I bet you'll find what you need to get from Freilassing to Salzburg here http://www.svv-info.at/en/home/ Salzburg's S-bahn system should do the trick, or if it's convenient you could just hop on an hourly Munich-Salzburg train for the one stop.
There's an SVV App you can download to run some numbers regarding times and costs. Have fun~

Posted by
138 posts

Hello Rod, Thank you so much for the info. I had been searching online looking for website like the one you sent me. Dee