Now Playing on Travel with Rick Steves
Program 420a: Music of Spain; Space Station Living; Canine-American Road Trip
Release Date: 02-17-2018
Tune into the traditional music of Spain and find out where to catch the best flamenco shows in Madrid. Then listen in as astronaut Chris Hadfield describes daily life aboard the International Space Station, and lets us in on how you get used to doing everything — and we mean everything — in zero gravity. And hear what a cross-country road trip showed a man and his dog about America's canine culture, and what they learned about each other.
- Federico García Barroso, tour guide based in Madrid
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield, Commander of International Space Station Expedition 35, and author of "You Are Here" (Little, Brown and Co.) and "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" (Little, Brown and Co.)
- Benoit Denizet-Lewis, author of "Travels with Casey" (Simon & Schuster)
- Tour guide Federico Garcia Barroso is based in Madrid.
- Wikipedia has an extensive entry about the origins and regional varieties of traditional and popular music in Spain.
- Las Carboneras and Corral de la Moreria are popular nightlife venue for flamenco that Federico recommends in Madrid.
- Chris Hadfield's books, "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth," and his photo book, "You Are Here," are published by Little, Brown and Company. They are available from the ChrisHadfield.ca website, which also has information on his new children's book, called "The Darkest Dark."
- Colonel Hadfield's videos are included on the Canadian Space Agency YouTube site.
- Benoit Denizet-Lewis describes the reason for his "Travels with Casey" in this YouTube video.
- Benoit and Casey stayed at The Dog Bark Inn, in Cottonwood, Idaho. It's built in the shape of a very large beagle.
More with Benoit Denizet-Lewis - Benoit Denizet-Lewis' dog Casey got to meet many different types of dogs on the cross-country road trip described in "Travels with Casey." As a dual American-French citizen, Benoit compares how "dog culture" differs between France and the USA. Find out which country he thinks spoils their dogs the most. (runs 3:15)