Program 327: Fun in Europe: Street Markets in Paris, Beer in Belgium, Caves in Slovenia
Release Date: 06-01-2013
- Marjorie R. Williams, co-author of "Markets of Paris" (The Little Bookroom).
- Stu Stuart, tour guide to Belgium and Germany beer venues
- Barbara Jakopiç, tour guide based in Slovenia
- Marjorie R. Williams is co-author with Dixon Long of the guidebook Markets of Paris.
- Wikipedia describes the bouquiniste stalls of Paris and the city's famous flea market at Clingnancourt.
- The Prominade Plantée includes an above-ground greenspace and shops and cafes in its ground level Viaduc des Arts.
- The rue Montorguil is one of Rick and Marjorie's favorite street food markets in Paris.
- Stu Stuart has websites for his beer-themed tours in Belgium and for his beer and bicycle tours in Bamberg, Germany, and he also has a travel blog as the "Beer Santa."
- Stu recommends Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue Stripe) as one of his favorite Belgian "introductory" ales.
- A La Mort Subite is the name of one of the downtown Brussels brasseries Rick, Stu, and caller Chantal discuss.
- Stu describes 't BrugeBeertje, a beer café run by Daisy, as one of his favorites in Bruges.
- The authors of the book "Around Brussels in 80 Beers" have a page on Facebook, which includes a link to the book's website.
- Postojna and Skocjan are the two most visited cave sites in Slovenia.
- The Skocjan caves park is known as the largest underground cavern in Europe, and has an English-language website with detailed information about visiting the caves. It includes a photo of a giant salamander "human fish" that you can send as an "e-card" when you right-click your mouse over the photo.
- Idrija is the site of a former major mercury mine.
- Franja has a museum at the site of the former Slovene Partisan Hospital from World War Two.
Wood cellar barrels
Hold newly fermented beer.
A cold Pilsner awaits.
— Matt Harmon, Charleston, West Virginia
Challenged by the artist's plea,
To perceive anew.
— Bill Loy, Montgomery Village, Maryland
Moon over Notre Dame
Jazz on bridge to Ile St Louis
A Paris party.
— Barbara Waxman, Seattle, Washington
one day not enough
i will go back again
one life not enough.
— Jason Boyd, Greenville, North Carolina
Pgm 327 Extra - Rick and Marjorie R. Williams, author of the guidebook "Markets of Paris," describe the outdoor market and café scene along the rue Montorgueil. (runs 1:14)