Program 341: Back-Roads Quebec; Cuba Update; Hiking in Germany
Release Date: 10-12-2013
An expert on travel to Cuba explains how their society is changing under Raul Castro's policies, and how Americans can legally get around the embargo on travel to Cuba. Also, we look into the attractions of back-roads touring in Quebec, and hear about Germany's extensive network of hiking trails.
- Travel writer Crai Bower
- Christopher P Baker, author of the Moon Cuba handbook
- German tour guide Thomas Gundlach
- Crai S. Bower's website is FlowingStreamWriting.net. He also blogs on MSN Traveler.
- The Véloroute des Bleuets trail in Quebec is officially open for five months a year.
- Le Massif is a major ski area in the mountains of eastern Quebec.
- The Bonjour Quebec tourism site lists festivals in the province.
- Christopher P. Baker has photos of Cuba and information on his books and authorized tours to Cuba.
- The documentary Chris Baker is collaborating on with David Soul about Hemingway's car in Cuba is called "Cuban Soul."
- Christopher P. Baker researches and writes the Moon Cuba handbook.
- Wikipedia has links to several Volksmarch associations in the US and abroad.
- The website for the German National Tourist Board includes sections on walking or cycling around Germany.
Program 341 Extra - Christopher P. Baker elaborates on changes in the Cuban economy under Raul Castro's leadership, the effects of the ongoing American embargo, and the problems created by Cuba's "dual currency" system. (runs 2:27)