Please sign in to post.

What trains are allowed on Italy Rail Pass

Hi, I'm trying to find out if the Italy Rail Pass is worth it. What TYPES of trains are allowed or what TYPES of trains are NOT allowed with the Italy Rail Pass please?

Posted by
864 posts

Did you check out the Italy Rail Pass info on this website? Should answer all your questions.

Posted by
7737 posts

It's not worth it. Buy your tickets through trenitalia.com You can save a LOT of money if you buy 2nd class seats up to 4 months in advance.

Posted by
25 posts

Thanks! I can buy all my tickets online, and they'll be recognized and honored in Italy?

Posted by
11294 posts

"I can buy all my tickets online, and they'll be recognized and honored in Italy?" You make it sound as if you are buying fake tickets from some fly-by-night source. Trenitalia is the company that runs most of the trains in the country, so you are buying direct (like buying a Delta flight on Delta.com). There is also Italo, another company that runs trains in Italy and competes with Trenitalia on busy routes; it gets high marks on this Helpline from those who've used it. You would buy these from their website, http://www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx. Note that Italo tickets aren't valid on Trentalia and vice versa, the way a Delta ticket won't work on Lufthansa. Rail passes are almost never a good deal in Italy, because even the last minute full fares are usually lower than a day of a pass. And if you can buy in advance and commit to non-exchangeable and non-refundable tickets (or ones with significant limits on these actions), you can save even more. Much more information about Italian trains from Ron In Rome: http://tinyurl.com/c4t693b and The Man In Seat 61: http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm

Posted by
23343 posts

To answer your question directly - the Italy Rail Pass can be used on any train in Italy. But the better question for you is, Why would you? In addition to the pass you have to pay a seat reservation on all train except Regional trains which do not have seat reservations.

Posted by
32222 posts

Tabatha, A few more comments...... You won't easily be able to buy tickets for Regionale trains online. It's a simple matter to buy those locally from the Kiosks after you arrive in Italy. NOTE that you MUST validate tickets for Regionale trains prior to boarding the train on the day of travel, or you'll face hefty fines which will be collected on the spot! Also note that tickets you buy online for the "premium" trains such as the Freccia fast trains, are specific for a particular day and departure time. If you board a train OTHER than the one specified on your ticket, you'll be deemed to be travelling without a reservation, and again may be fined on the spot! Happy travels!

Posted by
11613 posts

If your trip includes a Freccia train and a regionale connection, you may not be able to complete the transaction online more than a week in advance. It's easy enough to buy the Freccia portion online, then buy the regionale portion in Italy. You can show your Freccia or (Intercity) e-ticket to the conductor on your smartphone or you can print it out at home (regular letter-size paper will work) and take it with you. I take a hard copy just in case the smartphone goes stupid, since not having a valid ticket will subject you to a heavy fine, which you must pay on the train.