- Director: Tour Sales, Operations, and Guide Services
- Tour Sales Manager
- Digital Production Specialist
- Software Developer
A new senior management position at Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. (RSE) — Director: Tour Sales, Operations, and Guide Services — presents an exciting career opportunity for an experienced manager in the travel industry. This position will report to the COO, and will oversee the strategy, operations, sales and staffing of Rick Steves' successful program of European bus tours (currently 40 itineraries, 850 departures, 20,000 customers, and 10-20% growth annually).
The right candidate will bring extensive travel business experience, with particular emphasis on operational leadership and technology-driven solutions to manage growth and develop efficiencies. It will be critical that the director — who will work at the RSE headquarters in Edmonds, WA — demonstrate an ability to operate effectively within a strong, positive, and collaborative existing culture.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual and rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. In addition to our European tours, we also produce a public-television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear.
- Provide oversight and direction for the RSE Tour Program and the managers of the three tour-related departments: Tour Operations, Tour Sales, and Guide Services.
- Work with the RSE Business Team to define and achieve goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the overall RSE Tour Program and for each of its departments.
- Oversee Tour Program revenues and expenses.
- Develop methods to improve the productivity and effectiveness of programs and operations.
- Monitor changes in regulations and technology that may affect operations; implement policy and procedural changes as required.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the Rick Steves' Europe company and its travel philosophy.
- Proven business and operational expertise in a consumer-facing service organization at a senior level in a tour or travel related company.
- Extensive experience managing and leading collaborative and highly-productive cross-functional teams.
- Successful track record in assessing and applying technology-based solutions to back-end and customer-facing processes.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing company-wise business strategies to achieve tour program goals and objectives.
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills to a variety of audiences.
- An inspiring and engaging leadership style, approachable, calm under pressure.
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA preferred
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to TourProgramDirector@ricksteves.com. Qualified applicants only, please. No phone calls.
Rick Steves' Europe (RSE) is seeking an experienced and engaging leader in the travel industry for the position of Tour Sales Manager. The ideal candidate will bring their interpersonal skills, management experience, and operational know-how to a successful, fast-paced, and growing tour sales and customer service department. The Tour Sales Manager is responsible for managing a strong, in-house team (no outside sales agents are used) and also helps to shape the company's tour products and strategy. This position reports to a newly-created position: Tour Program Director.
- Daily management of RSE's tour sales/customer service team
- Collect, evaluate, and share tour sales statistics on a regular basis
- Manage sales inventory and forecast sales trends
- Implement ways that tour product knowledge and customer sales/service skills can be improved and shared within the department
- Collaborate with IT on developing systems and processes to improve the department's productivity and the customer experience
- Partner with Marketing on the creation and implementation of sales promotions
- Staff RSE travel events and travel to off-site travel shows to promote tours
- As a member of RSE's Tour Planning Group, meet weekly (with heads of Tour Program, Tour Operations, Guide Services, Marketing) to discuss a wide range of tour issues, including how existing tour products can be improved and new ones designed
- Responsible for customer relationships; handle and resolve difficult tour member situations and other customer issues/concerns
- Co-manage RSE's Travel Guard Emergency Service Program with Guide Services and Tour Operations Managers
- Work with travel insurance companies to assist with tour member insurance claims
- Review and approval of all tour customer forms, emails, and correspondence; participate in the proofing of tour promotional materials
- Conduct annual performance reviews of the department's staff
- Collaborate with RSE's Human Resources Manager to hire necessary staff
- Demonstrated success in managing a sales and/or customer service team
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
- Financial aptitude and experience managing budgets
- Strong problem solving skills; adaptable; flexible; calm under pressure
- An inspiring, hands-on leadership approach that fosters a positive, team-oriented, working environment
- Successful track record of training, developing, and motivating staff
- Excellent attention to details; organizational and time management skills
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Experience implementing new processes and software solutions
- Minimum of 5 years' experience working in the travel industry
- Experience with SalesForce or comparable travel industry platform
- Familiarity with the RSE tour program and travel philosophy
- B.S. or B.A. degree required
- European travel experience is essential
Please send a cover letter, resume, and one page travel summary to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is seeking a tech-savvy Digital Production Specialist to support the Marketing Department in producing all types of digital marketing projects including web pages, mobile apps, and html emails. The Digital Production Specialist performs a wide array of tasks from creating, updating and maintaining web content in our content management system (BCMS) to assisting the creative team with design, production, and UX/UI for mobile apps and html emails. The ideal candidate enjoys production work and has the ability to complete multiple tasks under deadline. This position is part of the Marketing Department and reports to the Marketing Manager.
- Prepare content for production and incorporate graphics, video, audio, text and related links, into website, mobile applications and emails
- Produce and optimize graphics for web, mobile apps, social channels and emails
- Update and maintain website content, including features scheduled to change daily, weekly, monthly and annually
- Regularly review website for needed updates, editing and enhancements
- Moderate travel forum as needed
- Provide customer technical support for website and apps
- Build mobile app templates and migrate content
- Handle mobile app certification processes
- Manage and archive graphics, video, audio, and other content assets associated with mobile apps
- Produce and test emails ensuring maximum deliverability and consistency across all email clients and devices
- Send email blasts and troubleshoot delivery issues
- Maintain knowledge base for best practices in html email for both mobile and desktop delivery
- Ensure adherence to company graphic, editorial and web standards for accuracy, style, tone, layout and design.
- Minimum 1-2 years working in digital production, or equivalent educational experience
- Experience with content management systems, design templates, web design software, and HTML5 and CSS3 hand-coding for both web and mobile platforms
- Experience with UX/UI, mobile strategies, app design and development, and wireframe creation
- Proficiency with graphics optimization for web and mobile
- Knowledge of audio and video encoding
- Expert knowledge of the latest Adobe Creative Cloud, familiarity with Adobe Digital Publishing Solution and proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel)
- Basic understanding of design principles, including layout, type, color, balance, current design trends
- Detail-oriented approach with excellent organization, communication, and proof-reading skills
- Degree in related field (marketing, communications, digital/multimedia design)
- Knowledge of European destinations and geography a plus
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to DPSpecialist@ricksteves.com. Qualified applicants only, please. No phone calls.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time software developer who will be responsible for the design and development of internal and external facing applications at our Edmonds location. This person will contribute to all future software development projects as well as assist in the maintenance of legacy systems as required.
We want a smart, disciplined, customer-focused team player who enjoys working on highly visible projects. As a software developer on our team, you will be a key player in an innovative and entrepreneurial company that embraces technology in every area of its business, including the development and marketing of extensive rich media content.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Develop and document software according to industry best practices
- Collaborate with other technology team members on software development, specifically regarding functionality, user experience, and technical design
- Manage deliverables according to approved project plans
- Participate in code maintenance, bug fixes, and various cross-functional roles with quality assurance
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster a cooperative and harmonious working climate
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics
- Three+ years of professional software development
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical documentation skills
- Ruby on Rails development experience
- Test Driven Development / Behavior Driven Development
- Flexibility in using multiple programming languages
- Proficiency with SQL and database design
- Flexibility in a dynamic work environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven time management skills: meet deadlines, effectively manage priorities, and communicate progress
- Aptitude for learning applications quickly and solving problems with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team player, and pitch in on outside projects, as needed
- Support day-to-day end-user issues and requests, as needed
Additional skills and experience in the following areas strongly preferred:
- Salesforce.com; Force.com
- XML and web services
- Content management systems
- E-commerce platforms
- Open-source software
- PC and Mac platforms
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no telephone calls.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to email@example.com or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!