Rick Steves' Europe is dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We provide a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment for our staff of 100 at our offices in scenic Edmonds, Washington (30 minutes north of Seattle) where we produce a best-selling travel guidebook series, a public television series, a weekly radio show, and an extensive travel website. We also design and market European bus tours and a line of travel luggage and accessories. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
Rick Steves' Europe, publisher of best-selling guidebooks, is seeking applicants for a 10-week internship in its book department. Interns at Rick Steves work 12-15 hours per week on everything from data-heavy work (fact-checking, organizing feedback, formatting files) to proofreading text and maps for our guidebooks and websites. Depending on the intern's expertise, some writing and editing tasks may also be assigned.
While this is an unpaid internship, it is designed as a learning experience. We require that our interns be enrolled in a college or university and that they earn college credit for their work. (If you have already graduated, you do not qualify for this internship.) Our offices are located in Edmonds, Washington, a suburb north of Seattle.
We are seeking communication or English majors who have had at least one writing or editing course. Experience writing and editing in print or for online publications is preferred. Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Word. Knowledge of French, German, Italian, or Spanish, while not essential, is a plus. European travel experience is also beneficial. We are seeking one intern for Fall Quarter 2018 (Sept 26th-Dec. 7th). We follow the quarter system because many West Coast colleges use that academic schedule. However, we can adjust the schedule for those on the semester system.
Send a cover letter, résumé, and writing samples (published samples preferred, but not required) to Tom Griffin, Senior Editor, email@example.com.
Rick Steves' Europe (RSE) is looking for a capable and energetic Public Relations Specialist to join our marketing team in Edmonds, WA. The ideal candidate will work with the marketing team to cultivate and manage relationships with the media and our public television station partners, develop and manage publicity campaigns, and coordinate logistics and promotions for Rick's public appearances.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual and rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, about 30 minutes north of Seattle. Our mission is to inspire, inform, and equip Americans to have European trips that are fun, affordable, and culturally broadening. RSE is a multi-faceted travel company. Our primary business is the design, marketing and management of guided European tours. In addition, for independent travelers, we produce a public television series and radio show, write an array of travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear.
- Managing and scheduling Rick Steves' publicity tours, public appearances, and public television fundraising events
- Collaborating with the marketing team to develop and implement media campaigns to build awareness of Rick Steves and the company's brand, products, and services
- Writing press releases, developing media kits, selecting relevant media outlets, and tracking media hits
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with media and public television contacts
- Developing and coordinating promotions for Rick Steves' Europe television shows and pledge events, including station visits and fundraisers
- Coordinating and attending publicity events as required (including occasional evenings and weekends)
- Screening speaking invitations and media inquiries
- Collaborating with RSE publisher, television contacts, radio team, and event hosts to maximize opportunities for cross-promotion of publicity initiatives
- Monitoring news sources for coverage of Rick Steves
- Overseeing and maintaining the About Rick, TV Programmers, and Press Room areas of the company website
- Assisting social media team with customer engagement and various campaigns
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- B.S. or B.A. degree
- 3+ years of experience in public relations, communications, or related field
- Knowledge of RSE's travel philosophy, tour itineraries, guidebooks, and other materials
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to effectively collaborate with various external partners
- Proficiency using various social media platforms
- Excellent project management skills: meeting deadlines, effectively managing priorities, communicating progress, and ensuring completion of all related tasks
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe (RSE) is looking for an experienced radio producer to join our team in Edmonds, WA. The ideal candidate will have a background in producing public radio and a thorough knowledge of current events. Familiarity with authors and issues in the field of travel is preferred. This position reports to the Executive Radio Producer. For more about our radio program, please visit: www.ricksteves.com/radio
- Assist with the audio editing process to ensure timings and volumes are within the program's parameters
- Edit raw interviews and recording sessions to public radio production standards
- Assist with preparation for Rick's interviews with various guests prior to scheduled recording sessions
- Organize and file interview notes, archive audio and program materials, and perform other administrative tasks as needed
- Assist with contacting and scheduling guests and publicists for recording sessions, including follow-up correspondence
- Help organize prospective listener-callers and e-mails received from web blasts during the days just prior to the scheduled recording sessions
- Field and screen calls during recording sessions. Greet in-person guests and facilitate preparation in studio. Coordinate follow-up, if needed
- B.S. or B.A. in Communications, Broadcasting, or related field
- 5+ years production and sound editing experience
- Previous experience in public radio programming or related field
- Competency in radio editing software, including Adobe Audition
- Knowledge of current events, authors, and issues in the field of travel
- Knowledge of RSE's travel philosophy
- Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines, and manage time effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good public relations skills, particularly interacting with the public over the phone and by e-mail
- Extensive travel experience
- Proficiency in Excel preferred
Please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!