Rick Steves' Europe is dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We provide a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment for our staff of 100 at our offices in scenic Edmonds, Washington (30 minutes north of Seattle) where we produce a best-selling travel guidebook series, a public television series, a weekly radio show, and an extensive travel website. We also design and market European bus tours and a line of travel luggage and accessories. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
Rick Steves' Europe (RSE) is looking for a smart, capable attorney to fill a full time in-house General Counsel position. The General Counsel will serve as the primary legal advisor/researcher/administrator with respect to regulatory matters, litigation issues, contract negotiations, and risk management. In addition, this person will be integral to the philanthropic actions of the company and ensure they are in alignment with the RSE mission. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about Washington State Law and the dynamics of running a mid-sized business. This position reports to the COO & CEO.
- Manage all legal matters, including contract management, intellectual property rights (trademarks, copyrights, digital rights, creative rights, etc.), as well as licensing, tax, capital, and philanthropic issues
- Bring legal/risk issues and concerns to the attention of the COO and CEO, and advise accordingly
- Manage the engagement of outside legal counsel when required
- Conduct research, prepare concise reports, briefings, presentations or responses on matters of institutional and strategic importance
- Provide counsel concerning compliance with international, federal, and state regulations
- Advise on the development of new business opportunities
- Provide guidance on HR issues, political issues, and philanthropic opportunities
- Facilitate efficient and effective decision-making processes by gathering data, assembling appropriate stakeholders, preparing high-level analysis, and formulating recommendations
- Provide project management on initiatives, as needed
- Serve as the informational resource to the company, maintain confidential records, and assist with special projects, tasks, and events, as assigned
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree with license to practice in Washington state
- 4+ years of experience in corporate law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong negotiating and presentation skills
- Proven organizational and multitasking abilities
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage time effectively
- Strong relationship-building skills
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- High level of integrity and professional accountability
- Knowledge of RSE's travel philosophy and tour program preferred
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe, publisher of best-selling guidebooks, is seeking applicants for a 10-week internship in its book department. Interns at Rick Steves work 15-19 hours per week on everything from data-heavy work (fact-checking, organizing feedback, formatting files) to proofreading text and maps for our guidebooks and websites. Depending on the intern's expertise, some writing and editing tasks may also be assigned.
While this is an unpaid internship, it is designed as a learning experience. We require that our interns be enrolled in a college or university and that they earn college credit for their work. (If you have already graduated, you do not qualify for this internship.) Also, the intern is responsible for covering any personal expenses, including room, board, and transportation. Our offices are located in Edmonds, Washington, a suburb north of Seattle. Because of the hardship of traveling from another state to Seattle for an unpaid internship, we generally give priority to candidates from local colleges or those with strong local ties.
We are seeking communication or English majors who have had at least one writing or editing course. Experience writing and editing in print or for online publications is preferred. Candidates must be proficient in Microsoft Word. Knowledge of French, German, Italian, or Spanish, while not essential, is a plus. European travel experience is also beneficial. We are seeking one intern for Summer Quarter 2018 (June 18th-Aug. 17th). We follow the quarter system because many West Coast colleges use that academic schedule. However, we can adjust the schedule for those on the semester system.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples (published samples preferred, but not required) to Tom Griffin, Senior Editor, Rick Steves' Europe, email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!