- Director: Tour Sales, Operations, and Guide Services
- Program Manager
- Tour Operations Specialist
- Software Developer
A new senior management position at Rick Steves' Europe, Inc. (RSE) — Director: Tour Sales, Operations, and Guide Services — presents an exciting career opportunity for an experienced manager in the travel industry. This position will report to the COO, and will oversee the strategy, operations, sales and staffing of Rick Steves' successful program of European bus tours (currently 40 itineraries, 850 departures, 20,000 customers, and 10-20% growth annually).
The right candidate will bring extensive travel business experience, with particular emphasis on operational leadership and technology-driven solutions to manage growth and develop efficiencies. It will be critical that the director — who will work at the RSE headquarters in Edmonds, WA — demonstrate an ability to operate effectively within a strong, positive, and collaborative existing culture.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual and rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. In addition to our European tours, we also produce a public-television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear.
- Provide oversight and direction for the RSE Tour Program and the managers of the three tour-related departments: Tour Operations, Tour Sales, and Guide Services.
- Work with the RSE Business Team to define and achieve goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the overall RSE Tour Program and for each of its departments.
- Oversee Tour Program revenues and expenses.
- Develop methods to improve the productivity and effectiveness of programs and operations.
- Monitor changes in regulations and technology that may affect operations; implement policy and procedural changes as required.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for the Rick Steves' Europe company and its travel philosophy.
- Proven business and operational expertise in a consumer-facing service organization at a senior level in a tour or travel related company.
- Extensive experience managing and leading collaborative and highly-productive cross-functional teams.
- Successful track record in assessing and applying technology-based solutions to back-end and customer-facing processes.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing company-wise business strategies to achieve tour program goals and objectives.
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills to a variety of audiences.
- An inspiring and engaging leadership style, approachable, calm under pressure.
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA preferred
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to TourProgramDirector@ricksteves.com. Qualified applicants only, please. No phone calls.
Rick Steves' Europe (RSE), a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a Program Manager. Reporting to the COO, the Program Manager will be responsible for developing a reporting solution that will enhance the information flow inside the company, as well as act as a change agent in the implementation of business and operational solutions.
In this role, the Program Manager will be required to support the department managers throughout the company and ensure that cross-functional projects are managed effectively, feedback is considered appropriately, workflows are adapted accordingly, and new processes are integrated into the organization. Accordingly, the Program Manager will work closely with the Business Analyst, the IT group and RSE Management to develop roadmaps, requirements documents and project plans.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 30 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
Act as a program manager by scoping, executing, and controlling multiple projects:
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project/how all of the initiatives fit together.
- Develop a schedule for project completion and review the project schedule with senior management and affected staff.
- Manage the project from start to successful completion.
Act as a change agent:
- Own project goals and use your skills and expertise to inspire a sense of shared purpose within the project team.
- Ensure alignment among project team members and recommend mitigating approaches, if required, and if they meet the overall project goals.
- Oversee the transfer of the project to the main stakeholders and ensure the project has been implemented correctly and training has occurred.
Act as a functional expert:
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the specified individual and team functions and the current process steps; envision the new process steps and how the project will impact operations. Develop the appropriate change paths, and coach the employees accordingly.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for Rick Steves' Europe, its mission, and travel philosophy.
- Demonstrated business and operational expertise in a consumer-facing organization at a senior level.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills, with ability to adapt to all audiences.
- An inspiring and engaging style, approachable, unflappable.
- Solid experience in coaching and advising collaborative and highly-productive cross-functional teams.
- Work well under pressure and be comfortable with change and complexity in a dynamic environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Tableau, Alteryx, Salesforce, Great Plains, strongly preferred.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2016. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a well-organized and capable tour operations specialist to fill a regular 30-40 hour week position. The overall responsibility of this position is to assist with the implementation and oversight of Rick Steves' Europe tours. This job entails organizing, managing and confirming a myriad of tour related details (reservations, cancellations, payments etc.), and following through on tasks. This person will be assigned specific itineraries and will be expected to coordinate all aspects of those itineraries.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, sell Eurail passes, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Making all reservations necessary to support assigned itineraries (hotels, local guides etc.)
- Communicating with European vendors (hotels, restaurants, local guides etc.) and Rick Steves' tour guides; responding to, and resolving, requests, complaints, problems, or questions
- Processing and tracking tour member surveys
- Entering tour information into database
- Reviewing tour budgets and guide expenditures
- Proofing marketing materials related to assigned itineraries
- Ensuring guides have the necessary information to run their tours
Excellent organizational skills; the ability to manage large amounts of information while keeping track of the details
Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
The ability to carry out basic, repetitive work in a busy, sometimes stressful, environment
Working independently and as a collaborative team player
Representing Rick Steves' Europe in a professional manner at all times
The ability to be discreet and exercise good judgment
Extensive European travel experience
Familiarity with Rick Steves' tour program a plus
Proficiency in a European language preferred
Interested and qualified applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and a one-page travel summary to email@example.com by April 26, 2016. No phone calls, please.
Rick Steves' Europe, a leader in the travel industry, is looking for a talented, full-time, on-site software developer who will be responsible for the design and development of internal and external facing applications at our Edmonds location. This person will contribute to all future software development projects as well as assist in the maintenance of legacy systems as required.
We want a smart, disciplined, customer-focused team player who enjoys working on highly visible projects. As a software developer on our team, you will be a key player in an innovative and entrepreneurial company that embraces technology in every area of its business, including the development and marketing of extensive rich media content.
Rick Steves' Europe provides a casual, interpersonally rewarding work environment in scenic Edmonds, WA about 20 minutes north of Seattle. We are dedicated to the cause of smart travel. We produce a public television series, weekly radio show and podcasts, write popular travel guidebooks, maintain an extensive travel website, run European tours, teach travel classes, and market an exclusive line of travel gear. To learn more about us, visit www.ricksteves.com.
- Develop and document software according to industry best practices
- Collaborate with other technology team members on software development, specifically regarding functionality, user experience, and technical design
- Manage deliverables according to approved project plans
- Participate in code maintenance, bug fixes, and various cross-functional roles with quality assurance
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Maintain a favorable working relationship with all company employees to foster a cooperative and harmonious working climate
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Mathematics
- Three+ years of professional software development
- Excellent verbal/written communication and technical documentation skills
- Ruby on Rails development experience
- Test Driven Development / Behavior Driven Development
- Flexibility in using multiple programming languages
- Proficiency with SQL and database design
- Flexibility in a dynamic work environment and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven time management skills: meet deadlines, effectively manage priorities, and communicate progress
- Aptitude for learning applications quickly and solving problems with minimal supervision
- Ability to work as a team player, and pitch in on outside projects, as needed
- Support day-to-day end-user issues and requests, as needed
Additional skills and experience in the following areas strongly preferred:
- Salesforce.com; Force.com
- XML and web services
- Content management systems
- E-commerce platforms
- Open-source software
- PC and Mac platforms
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, no telephone calls.
General Employment Opportunities
If you would like to be considered for a position at Rick Steves' Europe, you may email a cover letter, resume, and brief summary of your travel experience to email@example.com or mail to:
Rick Steves' Europe
130 4th Ave N
Edmonds, WA 98020-3114
Resumes are reviewed and considered as positions become available. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we regret that we cannot respond personally by phone. Thanks for your interest in Rick Steves' Europe!