Please sign in to post.

Neuschwanstein

Does anyone know where or how to get the famous front view of Neuschwanstein?

I've searched for trails and I've looked at the tegelbergbahn website. I've found an European trail 4 talked about, but no maps or confirmation with a picture that this view will be part of that hike.

Thanks a lot!
Andy

Posted by
10344 posts

Andy: Put these coordinates in your Google Earth or other map software and you will be on the exact spot to take that photograph:47 degrees 33'29.61" N10 degrees 45'06.11"Eelevation 2940 ft above sea levelWhen you get to Germany, those coordinates in your handheld GPS will take you to within 10 feet of the view you want. The view you're looking for is taken from the east/northeast side of the castle, the photographer was looking down to the west/southwest and was standing on a point well above the main entrance. You may be allowed to scramble up the hillside above the main entrance.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you can't manage that view, try climbing up to the bridge that spans the gorge. You'll have no trouble figuring out where to go.

Posted by
65 posts

Thanks a lot for the posts! Thanks for the tip on the bridge, but yes, I've been once before and I have those pictures. I wanted to try and find the spot where the front shot is taken.

Thank you for the coordinates! I will use google earth and look at the trail. Your information is fantastic. Thanks a lot!

Posted by
4555 posts

Andy...if yo don't want to download Google Earth, you can get a pretty good satellite view at maps.google.com as well. I've noticed recently that some of the satellite shots there are actually better than Google Earth's.

Posted by
65 posts

Thanks for the tip on Google maps. I have looked up Neuschwanstein in Google maps. It's clear, but not crystal clear. I'm hoping Google Earth will be a bit better.

Thanks!

Posted by
65 posts

I downloaded Google Earth and took a look. WOW! They have posted pictures others took which really helps out, although I think some are misplaced. It looks like the "trail" by your coordinates is actually a river/creek that the bridge is over back by the castle. I think the trail is up along the ridge and I would have to take a small trial, or even make my own, to get down the mountain far enough to get the angle I am looking for.

I would guess I need to take the gondola up and take the "europe trail 4" across the ridge.

Thanks again for the coordinates and pointing me to Google Earth. This really helps.

Does anyone have more details on this trail along the ridge? Is it trail 4? Do I need the gondola to get to the start of it?

Thanks again!

Posted by
12172 posts

The one I see most often is from Marienbrucke above the castle. From the parking lot, take the shuttle bus up. It drops you off above the castle. Rather than go straight to the castle, head up hill to the bridge and you will see the view. We had fog early in the morning so went back up the hill after our tour for the picture.

On your way down from the bridge there is another great view of the end of the castle. This view reminds me more of Disney's castle but isn't the classic view you see on commercials.

There is one other view I've seen but it's from the opposite side from the bridge. There may be a road that goes up the hills opposite the castle for that view but I haven't seen them. It may also be a continuation of the trail that takes you over the bridge but that trail gets a little hairy if there is any chance of ice (or you have small kids in tow).

Posted by
65 posts

Thank you for the post.

For the view I'm looking for, I think you are correct in that I will need to continue on the trail, past Marienbrucke. We're going in May, so weather hopefully won't be a problem (maybe rain).

The view from Marienbrucke is a side shot from slightly behind center (correct?). I'm looking for the shot from the front, left of center if you are looking at the front of the castle.

As I mentioned before, it looks like this Eurpoean trail 4 (which seems to be an extrememly long walking trail from Spain to Greece!) goes from the Tegelbergbahn drop off down over Marienbrucke to Neuschwanstein. The question is, will it be quicker to start at the top where Tegelbergbahn drops you off, or work backwards from the shuttle drop off you mentioned. Also, ease and speed. From the top, I'll be going down. From Neuschwanstein, I'll be going up hill which will be slower.

Thanks again. I really appreciate all the feedback!

Posted by
12172 posts

The first view is essentially the "broad side of the barn" view from Marienbrucke. The second view is looking up from the paved trail from the bus down toward the castle. The third view shows reddish stone on the entrance side of the castle.

Posted by
65 posts

Thanks for the info.

I think my plan is to take the bus, and then continue hiking up the trail along the ridge. Based on some pictures taken on Google Earth, I think I will be able to find the spot I want, then hike down the face to get a flatter angle than the steep angle off the ridge (like the coordinates given in a previous reply). Then on the way back I can get the shots you are talking about.

Thanks again for the posts.

If anyone has hiked up the ridge from Marienbrucke, I'd be interested in how strenuous and long it is. Based on Google Earth, it looks fairly steep.

Posted by
65 posts

Hi Jack,

I did make it to Neuschwanstein, however, I did not get the shot I wanted. I settled for the side view from Marienbrucke. The face of the mountain was extremely steep and I did not want to risk the walk down. Based on Google Earth pictures, I think it is possible to get somewhat of a front shot from the European Trail (but more of a side shot). However, I am convinced that the popular front shot in postcards is done by helicopter or a professional climber (even this is questionable).

If you want to make a hike of it (and a steep one) look at the following on Google Earth and see what you think:
Take the shuttle to Marienbrucke. Then cross the bridge which I believe is this European trail 4 I have found on other websites. This will go along the ridge of the mountain. This is a steep hike and will really need to be dedicated to hiking if you want to do this. I think the problem will be trying to get down the face for the front shot. I think it is too steep and not possible.

Sorry this isn't more help or encouraging, but again, I think the shot is with a helicopter.

Good luck!

Andy

PS - I think the paid tour of the castle is a total rip off! Knowing it, I wouldn't have done it. Seeing the outside is a million times better than the inside, but who knows, others may love it.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi Andy,
Did you finally make it? If yes, would you please let me know some detail? Do you need their permision before climb that hill?
I plan to take a trip to Neuschwanstein this Fall and I prefer to get some pictures from that famous front view. Thanks a lot!

Jack

Detroit, MI

Posted by
10344 posts

Andy: Thanks for the update. I was the one who gave you the GPS coordinates for "the spot" you wanted. It was a fun one to help you with, because you were motivated to do the homework to attempt to find the spot.Perhaps the professional photographer who took the shot you were looking for rappelled down? The photo (I'm looking at it now) almost looks too low (to the ground) to have been taken from a helicopter, but I can't tell for sure.

Posted by
65 posts

Hi,

Yeah, thanks a lot for all of your help leading up to it. I was just not prepared or willing to go to the extent necessary to even attempt it. A postcard will have to do. Too bad we can post pics in here to show what I did get, but it's the usual shots.

Thanks for helping all the travlers with your numerous posts!!!

Andy