Please sign in to post.

Departure from Rome and time needed to get to airport

We will be in Rome May 22 and May 23. We depart Rome for US at 7:00 AM Sat. May 24. Where do yu recommend we stay? And, what is the best way to get to the airport and how much time should we allow?

Posted by
23269 posts

It depends -- If a DIRECT flight to the US you will need to use the International terminal -- that can be a bit of zoo because a lot of flights are departing and arriving around that time. A least two and half to three is probably necessary. If flying to another European city to connect to the US, then it is a domestic flight using the other terminals and things are much quieter at that time of morning. An hour and a half to two hours will work. Unfortunately the first Leonard Express is not till around 6 AM leaving a taxi as the only good option from Rome. Staying near the airport would be more expensive but save about an hour. Or you could have an all night party in the airport with a lot of other tourist in the same boat.

Posted by
11 posts

We had a similar situation last fall. Our choice was to use an airport shuttle, which got us to Fiumicino a little later than we wanted, so you might want to pad the time you need to leave in the morning. Or use the airport hotels to be on the safe side.

Deborah
Oakland, CA

Posted by
2207 posts

David,

My wife and I currently live in Rome and have many friends who come to visit and have the same challenge as you. On Tuesday we have friends with a 6:15 AM flight from FCO.

My recommendation to them was to stay at the Airport Hilton Monday night. They have a ton of "points" so their stay will be free. From the Airport Hilton you take a "moving sidewalk" directly into FCO terminals. It is the only hotel with this access.

If that is not an option for you... here's some info. If you are departing DIRECTLY to the US on an USA flagged carrier you will need at least 2.5 to 3 hours prior to your departure time. Security is "tougher" on an USA flagged airlines or any flights headed directly to the USA. You will probably leave from Terminal C if on a USA carrier.

If you are making a connection - say in Frankfurt - then heading to the US, you will probably leave out of Terminal B (or AA if you are on a smaller jet) figure on about 2-2.5 hours. Need more info send me a note!