Please sign in to post.

London New Year's

My wife and I are going, with another couple, to London from 26 Dec. to 3 Jan. Any advice on things to do during that time? While I'm sure many things will be closed New Year's Day, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on being in London during that time. Thanks!

Posted by
69 posts

December 26th is boxing day so lots of stuff is probably closed then as well. Sounds fun though!!

Posted by
658 posts

The sales season traditionally starts on 26 December.

Go get a bargain on Oxford Street.

Try and get last minute tickets to a non-west end panto ( pantomime - a very British tradition ).

Join in the insanity of New Years Eve but unless you're very robust don't join the crush in Trafalgar Square - Westminster Bridge and Big Ben are good places to be.

Posted by
2207 posts

Fletcher,

London was our post-XMAS trip for straight years so we've spent much time in London during the time you mention. Al is correct in that there is a crush at Trafalgar... but few other events are structured on New Year's Eve in London as in many other cities around the world. There is a HUGE parade on New Year's Day (in which many US high schools march...). Parties on New Year's Eve are booked well in advance and the night clubs are usually full or have special events going on. Book NOW - Check with your concierge for suggestions.

Al may be able to update this but a few times we were there the tube shut down early on New year's Eve and many taxis WERE NOT running. We ended up stranded at the Conrad on the outskirts of town one year and ran up a HUGE bar tab... so look into your transportation on that evening (Al, do they keep the tube open now??).

The theater is still active that week, although a few days there were no shows or limited seats so again, book ahead if you have a specific show you want to see! You will find a few restaurants, etc closed for the holidays but not really enough to cause concern. Have a great time!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
264 posts

We were there for New Years Eve 2006 into 2007.

Tube was open and free until like 4 am. Westminster station was closed though.

Be aware that as mentioned large crowds gather down in Trafalgar Square and along the Thames. At midnight we found half of the people were ready to go home while the party was just getting started for the other half.

The police do their best to try to direct traffic but you have a lot of pushing and shoving as people try to get through large groups of stationary people down into tube stations.

It took my wife and I 90 minutes to get from the Thames to South Kensington. All said a lot of fun and a good time. Bundle up and be prepared.

Posted by
1717 posts

If you would be interested in going to Bath for a couple of days, a grand B & B in Bath has a special dinner (traditional English style) on the evening of December 31. That is the only day in the year when dinner is served in that B & B. If you are interested in that, I could search for information about that B & B.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for all the great advice! If anyone else has any advice, please let us know! Thanks again!