Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Munich

My wife and I are staying 3 nights in Munich this Christmas. Any recommendations for where we stay or how to get plugged in to some local celebrations?

Posted by
14 posts

Can't recommend anywhere to stay since we've always stayed at home, but there is a big Christmas market on the Marianplatz in Munich. There's great food and lots to see in the vicinity. We enjoyed a long stroll through the Residenz (it's warmer there than outside!). Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
116 posts

All the celebrations and Christmas Markts are in full swing until Christmas Eve (24th). FYI: Germany celebrates Christmas on the 24th and people in the US traditionally celebrate on the 25th. Germans go BONKERS getting fired up for Christmas! (read: leading up to the 24th) After the 24th, not so much.

Last year other ex-pat friends who were new to all things German had some of their family arrive on the 24th and were totally bummed out when they realized that nothing would be open to show off to the guests. They had missed all the Christmas craziness and only saw remnants in the form of shops and city decor. The week after Christmas is pretty deads-ville b/c it's usually family time here in Germany.

HOWEVER - maybe it's different in Munich...? I sort of doubt it. I would go the official Germany tourism website and sign up for email updates, they're REALLY good about sending emails to local events. Also try to contact the Munich TI and check their local event listings.

I actually just received the Christmas Markt listings last week and have it filed in my inbox. Send me a private email if you'd like me to forward it to you. (you'd have to give me your real email addy)

Posted by
1358 posts

I would do a google search for 'Munich Christmas activities' and any other topics you think of. Going at Christmas means you should already have rooms reserved. If not, do it now.

Posted by
8948 posts

Most Christmas markets have to be closed down a day or two before the 24th, so those people running the stands can be at home. The 24th, everything just shuts down after about 1500. You will be hard pressed to find a restaurant open except in your hotel. Of course most churches will have services, including midnight masses. On the 25th, the restaurants will be very busy unless they are closed and also on the 26th, which is an official holiday too, called 2nd Christmas day. I think if it was me, I would go to some sort of ski area where there will be other vacationers and probably some sort of activities like special dinners, sleigh rides, and so on. This really calls for some web searches. As the other posters suggested, type in German Christmas markets to get the dates.

Posted by
194 posts

I was in Munich for Christmas in 2002. My friend and I arrived by train sometime in the early afternoon (I think ... it was a while ago!), and we were able to tour around the Christmas market in Marienplatz. We had mulled wine, sausage and I bought an ornament. The place was packed, and it was a lot of fun to see. We were lucky in that we were staying with some locals, so we didn't have to worry about hotels and dinner that night--so unfortunately, I can't help you there. But it was a lot of fun--they went out and got a tree on Christmas Eve which we decorated (with real candles even! I had never seen that :)), and had a great meal and stayed up until about 2 a.m. singing Christmas songs and drinking beer. We went for a long walk Christmas Day and the city seemed like it was shutdown. Not a lot of people around, but very peaceful.

Posted by
19 posts

Of course, the Christmas market on Marienplatz. If you want trachten (Bavarian style clothing) or just want to look go to Loden-Frey. The large store is just off the Marienplatz. There are rack after rack of beautiful dirndls and lederhosen. Don't miss the gorgeous dirndl style wedding gowns! Fabulous!! Downstairs (the kids can use the long slide) the children's department has the most beautiful classic children's clothing including smocked dresses and dirndls for girls.