Please sign in to post.

Early Morning Flight out of Venice

We have a 7:30 am flight out of Venice. I require suggestions as to where to stay, but equally as important, the best way to the airport from say the Rialto area which will allow us enough time as we cannot miss the flight home. Thanks!

Posted by
319 posts

I've stayed at hotel Titian (http://www.titianinn.com/eng/hotels/titian-inn-hotels-residence-group.html) at the hotel a couple of times. They are 500 meters from the airport and they have an early morning shuttle. We have also stayed at st. marks before an early morning flight. We had to get on a boat at 4 or 5 am in order to get to the airport for a 7 am flight. I like staying near the airport much better. I know staying near the airport is not too charming, but at 5 am nothing is charming to me.

Posted by
157 posts

I suggest that you do not stay in Rialto area the night before the flight. With a 7:30AM flight out and the time needed to arrive early and get to the airport I would not trust the local transportation system to get you there in time. There are plenty of Hotels near the airport to make things easier. I have never stayed in them so I cannot give specific advice on which one to use.

But if you want to do it, the quickest way to do it would be to use a taxi and they are expensive. When I did it once (always wanted to ride in one the taxi boats)the driver was in no hurry to get to the airport and wandered around a bit, even stopped to talk to some friends. The cost was not cheap ~ 100 Euros or so.

Posted by
524 posts

David, we had this very situation and it worked out fine for us. We stayed at a hotel right by St. Marks. A Vaparatto stop was right in front of our area and one was scheduled to stop at about 5am or so.

I was NERVOUS that it wouldn't arrive...but it did. It zipped us across the way to the airport in about 30 minutes (maybe less). We were at the airport with lots of time to kill.

It was easy and it was easy to figure out. If the transportation is unreliable...we didn't experience that.

Posted by
3313 posts

There are regular car taxis at Piazzale Roma - not too far a walk from the Rialto area - that make early morning runs to the airport. Much less costly than water taxis.

Posted by
114 posts

We moved out of our little hotel in Castello and spent the night before our flight at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel which is very close to the airport. It was a bit of a hassle getting to the vaporetto stop the afternoon before the flight, hauling our suitcases, though they were small, and then the vaporettos were very crowded as well. We were standing cheek by jowl. Then we got the airport bus form Piazzele Roma and asked the driver to drop us off at the Marriott. It was easy and cheap. All in all I was happy we did all that ahead of time and could relax in the evening knowing the hotel's shuttle would take us to the airport at 5 a.m. In my book, the early-rising shuttle driver was the one who deserved the best tip of our trip!

Posted by
1158 posts

I don't know where Rialto arae is, but buses in the outter areas of Venice start running early ib the morning . I stayed in a camping about 30 minutes form Venice and I was able to hop in a bus to V enice at 4:30 AM or so. There is a bus that leaves Venice to the airport at around 5 AM .I think it's number 4. You can find the schedule online.

Posted by
67 posts

I am going to answer my own question for anyone having the same problem. We stayed the night near the Rialto Bridge last week. We had a 7:00 am flight. There is a night Vaperetto that makes a 4:15 am stop at the Rialto stop. A short 10 minute trip to Plaza Roma, a number 5 transit bus direct to the airport and we arrived at 5:05 am. More than enough time to leisurely check in, clear security and have breakfast at the airport prior to our flight. No need to pay 100+ Euros for a water taxi, and no need to stay at an airport hotel. The cost: 6.50 Euros.

Posted by
3313 posts

David - This is valuable information. Thanks so much. Many future visitors to this website will thank you!