Please sign in to post.

Renting a car in Ireland

We are going to be flying into Shannon in late May and flying out of Dublin in early June. Planning on dropping the car in Dublin city to spend our last three days there. Looking for info on the CDW and understand that a World Mastercard covers collision and theft. Anybody with experience or info on using this card?

Posted by
1014 posts

I would call the credit card company to be sure that you are covered in Ireland. Get it in writing. When I rented a car a couple of years ago, I had to take my copy of the coverage with me to show the rental company that I was covered. If not sure, take the cdw, it is cheaper than paying to fix the car.

Posted by
9363 posts

I had a bad experience in trusting a credit card (not this particular card) to cover damage in Ireland, even though they said I was covered and I followed their rules to the letter. And it WAS "in writing". I will never trust a credit card company for insurance again! Take the super CDW.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you both. I had been told by a rental company to bring along a letter verifying coverage by the CC company but want to avoid any problems once there. Did you find the "super CDW" reasonable?

Thanks for the responses,
Leo

Posted by
9363 posts

As I recall, the last time I had it, it was about $100 or so more than the regular insurance. When I had my little accident, though, the damages were $400+ (just a knocked off mirror).