Please sign in to post.

Should I rent a car to see Ireland

I am planning a trip to Ireland in July to see both the republic of irelanf and Northern Ireland. I would really prefer a driving trip but have heard the roads and condition are not good. Any opinions or thoughts of alternativrs short of booking a tour, which we definitely don't want to do. Also, can you lease a car rather than rent because I've heard the insurance is very costly on a car rental.

Posted by
524 posts

This topic comes up frequently. You should search past posts for molre information.

In my opinion, renting a car is the only way to see Ireland. Yes, roads are narrow and you might have to wait for sheep crossing and you'll probably get a manual transmission and you drive on the left side of the road, but it takes you places you can't get to otherwise. Like you, I'm not a tour person. And public transportation isn't that available, so that pretty much leaves driving.

Have a great trip - you'll love it!

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Sara. Yeah, check the old threads. Can you drive a stick? Ireland is great for driving, but you do have to keep on your toes, it's by far the best way to see the Island though. If you can't drive a stick, expect to pay quite a bit more.

Leasing can be done through companies like ebctravel.com but usually is for longer trips 17 days/3 weeks or more.

I can say the bus system is clean, friendly, and fairly efficient. However, unless you go strait to Dublin or Belfast, you'll probably want a car to see things there anyway.

Lots of 1 day tours are available, but you'd be paying quite a lot! Hope that helps!

Posted by
9363 posts

Except in the cities, driving in Ireland is great. In most areas there is little traffic, and Irish drivers are beyond courteous and friendly. The roads can be narrow in some areas, but they aren't in bad condition.

Posted by
8732 posts

In 1997 I drove the entire island. Solo. Female. Over the age of 40. LOVED the freedom. Never had a problem. It is the perfect way to see the charm and beauty
of Ireland and do it at your pace. Get the car.

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you all for the feedback. I have been convinced to rent a car!! Sara