Please sign in to post.

Florence & Pisa: This might sound insane, but here we go...

Ok, ok... I'm still trying to decide what to do with my final full day in Rome before the cruise ship departs. I will have Rome well explored by that final day, and I want to do a big day trip. The problem with the cruise is, when we get to the Livorno port I will only have time to do one of the following two things:

1. Florence and Pisa
  2. Siena and San Gimignano

I want to do both very badly, so I thought maybe I will do one of those on my last day in Rome, and save the other for when the ship arrives at Livorno. I know people will say, "Bah, you can't do those in a single day from Rome! You won't get to really experience it!" and so forth... But hear me out before you tear me down. :-)

Our ship will be in Livorno on a Monday, so that would rule out the Florence museums. That's a pretty big deal to me, so here was my plan (if I'm crazy, let me know).

On our last day in Rome, we get up early and catch the 6:30 AM train (the fast one that costs more), and we get to Florence about an hour and a half later (8 AM-ish). I would already have reservations at the museums, so no problem with lines. Anyway, the train station is close to all the central stuff in Florence, so maybe we walk to the Accademia (spend about 30 minutes to an hour there according to Rick Steves), then we head down to Uffizi (spend about 2 hours there), we see Ponte Vecchio nearby, then we head up to the Duomo area and see Brunelleschi's dome, the Baptistry, the Campanile, etc. (I only saved this area for last since the Baptistry is closed until noon). Then we head back to the train station and take the 1 hour 15 minute trip to Pisa.

We catch the bus near the train station for a 15 minute ride to the Field of Miracles, where we explore the area a bit, seeing the Leaning Tower, the Baptistry, the Duomo, etc. Then we catch the bus for another 15 minute ride back to the train station, where we board the 7 PM train bound for Rome.

Is this a possible trip?

Posted by
521 posts

Ben,

I did Pisa and Florence as a day-trip on my way from the Cinque Terre to Venice. Is it possible? Yes. Is it advisable? No, but that probably is not what you are looking for here.

You can do it, sure, but not with all the items that you have planned, in my opinion. The problem with your schedule is you are not counting travel time between the sites, the fact that you probably will not get Accademia and Uffizi reservations for the exact times that you want to get in at, that they will still make you wait in line for at least fifteen minutes even if you have a reservation at different sites, and how/when you are going to eat.

As well, the Duomo is very popular. If you are travelling during the summer you will need to wait in line for about an hour in advance to get in as you cannot make a reservation. I could only see it from the outside while I was there as I just did not have the time to wait in line.

If you want to see everything on your list, just stick to Florence and skip Pisa. Furthermore, don't count on being able to do everything there... remember that the Baptistry is going to be another long lineup in addition to the Duomo, and another one for seeing Brunelleschi's dome.

By the way, the way I counted time for your itinerary, if you get good reservation times at the Accademia and Uffizi, just getting to Florence and seeing these two with one hour at the Accademia and two at the Uffizi, you are at noon by now anyways. I figure you get to the Accademia by 8:30 and then get to the Uffizi by 9:45 - 10:00... spend two hours there, and it's noon without seeing the Duomo, Baptistry, or Ponte Vecchio... or having lunch.

Posted by
103 posts

Thanks Steven. This will be in mid-October, by the way. I really wish the David was at the Uffizi instead of the Accademia, then I would just toss out the Accademia altogether! I'm much more interested in the Uffizi.

I really don't want to miss Pisa. :-( Would my plan work if we didn't enter the Duomo or Baptistry?

Posted by
521 posts

Probably, yes. It will be a very fast, very rushed day... but if you are okay with that, it will probably work out. Ideally you would want to save these things for a later trip to Italy, but as I did it in a day-trip too I understand your desire to see it all. If we add in the Ponte Vecchio and a quick lunch on the run (there are some fantastic sandwich shops not too far from the Uffizi) you can be back at the train station by 2pm, but maybe 3pm based on reservation times and allowing for whatever might come about. You MIGHT be able to squeeze in another thing to see based on the lineups (I have no idea how the lineups will be in October). The good thing about Florence is that everything is within about a fifteen-minute walking distance from each other - including the train station (Firenze SMN).

Posted by
103 posts

Thanks Kent. The stuff I am more likely underestimating is the walking time between sites, eating times, and possible lines at sites, right? Because the rail times I got directly off of Rail Europe when I put in what I wanted. It says 1:09 from Florence to Pisa, and it said 1:39 from Rome to Florence on the more expensive direct train (6:30 AM - 8:09 AM).

Posted by
10344 posts

Everything in Italy takes longer than you think it will, when it comes to transportation. Add in for time to pack up, check out, get to the train station, wait for the train, station to station time, getting from station to hotel, checking in, unpacking, freshening up, hitting the street. Every change of location eats up 4 hours plus the station to station time.And you don't eat fast in Italy unless you're at McDonalds. If you want to sit down at a table to eat (did you come partly for the food), then slow service is good service, not like here). So everything will take longer.

Posted by
103 posts

Hmmm... I just took a look at the b-ticket website, the "official" Uffizi and Accademia reservation page, and it seems like you can't have a reservation prior to noon? Is that correct? Every single day I click on for the entire year has no availability from 8-noon, but SCORES of availability from noon-evening (usually all 20 spots per time).

Posted by
1289 posts

I would go for it, but I would probably not buy my tickets until I needed them. That way, in a worst case scenario, you could cut Pisa and take the train back to Rome from Florence. In a best case scenario, you do both. I have tried these kind of adventures a couple of times, and with careful, advance planning they have worked out for me. As for reservation to the museums, I know my sister had a reservation for the Uffizi for 8:30 last September. You may try calling the reservation phone number. It involves a long distance phone call to Italy, but (if I remember right) people have better luck with calling than with the web site. When I made reservations in 2003, I called and it was very easy. Both times I have stopped in Pisa, we have been there about 2 hours. We just do the Field of Miracles. Have an awesome day in Italy.

Posted by
1589 posts

" I really wish the David was at the Uffizi instead of the Accademia, then I ..."

Ben, this doesn't sound good. Italy is Italy. It moves along at it's pace. Your micromanagement will turn this trip into a nightmare. Try to relax and rethink some of your unrealistic plans and expectations to make this trip a treasure instead of a torture.

Posted by
103 posts

LOL. All I meant by my comment was that the David is really the only reason I feel like I MUST see the Accademia. If it wasn't there, I could save time by just going to the Uffizi. Since it is there, my itinerary is tougher, and that's just the way it is...

Posted by
255 posts

Ben.....

I concur with what most of the other posters have said about how things move more slowly in Italy and how important it is not to over schedule your visit.

I think that I would just stay with visiting Florence and skip Pisa. The big thing here is that you don't want to be stranded somewhere and unable to get back to Rome in time to get your cruise ship. As Rick says "Always assume that you will come back."

Posted by
345 posts

Sounds dreadful, and I don't those are realistic estimates about how long it takes to move from here to there, but it's your decision. I can't say first-hand this could or couldn't work because I've never considered anything like it.

IMO, Florence and Siena are significant cities that merit multiple days, it doesn't make sense to me to spend half-days there.

I did not write so much to tell you what to do, but to share a question to consider anytime you plan a trip itinerary. While RS advice "assume you will be back" is an extremely useful tool to help you sort out your priorities for itinerary planning, I would like to offer another:

"If seeing site x, y, or z, is so important to me, I only have one day, and I may never be back, will I be happy if I waste that day by giving both sites short-shrift? How will I feel when I leave? Satisfied? Or will I leave each location feeling as if there wasn't enough time? If I only have one day how much time do I want to spend sighseeting vs. traveling on a train or bus? "

Your answer need not dictate your final decision, it's a merely a planning tool to sort out your feelings on the matter. Of course, there isn't a "right answer." Yours will be different from ours. As a general rule of thumb, more experienced travelers slow down, but it's still personal preference.

Posted by
6898 posts

Actually, there is a statue of David very near the Uffizi but it's a copy. Second, taking the high-speed train to Florence is not a bad idea as long as you can get back to the ship ontime. Or, can you make arrangements on the ship to not re-board in Rome and instead, re-join the cruise at boarding time in Livorno.

Posted by
85 posts

Hey Ben,
My husband and I tried setting up like you. I doesn't work. Midway up the line, all the trains were stopped for - well - no one knew. It pushed us back 5 hours because we missed all our connections. But, we had days to use up, so....
Best thing, pick one place and take Rick's advice, believe you will return.
I didn't think we'd ever be able to return to Europe. But we're keeping the old car and this July will be our third RS tour.
Seeing Europe and experiencing Europe are separate issues. I'll never take any other tours except RS's because RS has proved that experience that's saturated in the culture will change your life.
Relax and buck in for the Florence tour next year. You'll love it!

Posted by
83 posts

Hey Ben! I tend to plan a lot of stuff in a day most people would consider unreasonable as well ;) - I have never been to Italy but I am have been planning for a while now for my May Trip. My 2 cents:

1. Don't use the Rail Europe site for train schedules, they don't always show everything available and they are a rip off. Use www.bahn.de instead, the most comprehensive and user friendly site imho.
  2. Did you know there is an EXACT replica of David (full size) in Piazza della Signoria which is 500 ft behind the Uffizi? I mean, why wait in line and go out of your way to see "the real thing" when you can see the next best thing and save time and money?
  3. Skip the bus ride. (I really hate buses) Save time in Pisa by getting off at "Pisa S. Rossore" rather than "Pisa Centrale". It is closer to the Leaning Tower by about a mile.
  4. Don't assume that because you have a reservation that there won't be a problem with lines....there will be significantly shorter lines but there will still be lines.

I guess that was 4 cents. Good Luck!

Posted by
103 posts

Melissa, thanks for your great post, but I have a question... Is it just a matter of "getting off at Pisa S. Rossore rather than Pisa Centrale"? I mean, will all of the trains even stop there? Or do I have to get a train that specifically goes to that station instead of Pisa Centrale?

Posted by
1589 posts

One of the many reasons that I love this board:

Ben asking Melissa for more specific advice after Melissa( no attempt to negate her posting ) writes" I have never been to Italy " . Maybe it's just me....

Posted by
10 posts

Here's some take-it or leave-it advice from another "Melissa"...

I've been to Florence and have seen both Davids. In my humble opinion, the "real" David in the Accademia is a "must-see". I'm not able to put words as to what the difference is between the two (well, other than one is real and the other is a copy). Let me just say that when I saw the copy, my first thought was "Hmmm...nice." Then I saw the real one two days later, and literally the first words out of my mouth were "OH MY GOD!"

Let me just add that I love sculptures and art in general. If you're not necessarily an art lover (though I suspect you might be), then the copy may suffice . Total judgment call.

Posted by
10344 posts

Since the subject of copies of The David has come up--a person could save a lot of money just seeing the other copy, at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. In Vegas they even have parking for your rental car and no ZTL's! And a Rialto Bridge, St. Mark's Campanile, and Venetian canals.

Posted by
10 posts

Oh, Kent...you sly boots! I love your humor. ;-)

I supposed I should've left the "copy" issue alone when it first came up. However, I didn't want Ben to be swayed into seeing just the copy (and not the authentic statue) without hearing another point of view. And there's my 25 cents...

Posted by
345 posts

I never would have thought to recommend that myself, but bypassing the Accademia for the Uffizi sculpture garden is an option if you're speed-touring Florence and you have to prioritize.

For those who have to more time and don't have to make tough choices there is a quality and a magnificience in Michelangelo's David that you will not find in the replica. The original is splendid and worth seeing. The copy does not hold my interest. I have no knowledge, little exposure and little appreciation of art; art is just not my thing.. so I'm quite sure if I can see the difference anyone could.

Posted by
1589 posts

Kent, I heard from a friend that the canal water in the Las Vegas version of Venice is actual Italian water, so why bother wasting all that time flying over to Italy? Just sayin'.....

Posted by
290 posts

It's possible, but nerve wracking. Just a thought, but you might use your time better by taking a day trip to Naples/Pompeii. A short visit to Pisa is okay (BTW, you can walk from the train station to the Field of Miracles in 10 to 15 minutes) but IMHO Florence needs at least two or three days to even scratch the surface.

I agree with previous posters-Skip Pisa and spend the day in Florence. The last time we were there the Uffizi reservations were a month out, so make them well in advance (we went early, around 0730 and were able to get in within 10 minutes of opening without reservations).
Like the man says, assume you will return. Anyway, good luck and pray that all the trains are on time :-)

Posted by
83 posts

Ben, I am guessing you should check the bahn.de website I was talking about to see if your train would stop at Pisa S. Rossore. Apparently this board doesn't just give travel advice, but also art appreciation lectures as well! It baffles me how few people actually responded to you with advice rather than pick at other people's comments or joke with each other. It really clogs up the board and makes for some boring reading when you are trying to get travel advice. Well, anyway, good luck no matter what you choose!