Please sign in to post.

International Drivers License

Is an International Drivers License required in Italy?

If not, is it recommended and how do I get one?

Posted by
4555 posts

Yes, an International Driver's Permit is required in Italy. An IDP is nothing more than an internationally-sanctioned translation of vital parts of your driver's license into several major languages. So it doesn't replace your personal driver's license, it goes along with it. They're available at AAA outlets for about $20....bring two passport-sized photos with you.

Posted by
3313 posts

This is where I pay my monthly penance to Norm...

Failing to have the IDP (along with your state drivers license) could mean a 75E fine on the spot. And Italy has lots of random police traffic stops.

Posted by
182 posts

Just did this for our trip. Our local AAA actually took the pictures there. Call ahead and see if your's will too to save the extra stop.

Posted by
24 posts

I just got IDPs done for myself and my husband 2 weeks ago. We got them done at AAA at $15 per person. We weren't planning to drive while in Italy but I thought I might as well get them done in case we changed our minds about driving. It's a simple process. They asked for the following documents :-

(a) My AAA membership card

(b) A 1-page application form. Download the form
from the AAA website.
(c) Photocopies of your US driver's license (front &
back).
(d) 2 passport-sized photographs.

You'll receive the IDPs within a few minutes if you apply it at a AAA office. Try not to do mail-in applications as they tend to take longer. Each IDP lasts for 12 months.