Please sign in to post.

Purses

I realize that carrying purses containing anything you don't want to lose is verbotin, but what about carrying a a purse crisscrossed over my shoulders to hold a book, water, comb? Is that just asking for it? thank you, kc

Posted by
345 posts

Yes. That's what I do. If you lose anything, it doesn't ruin your trip.

Posted by
796 posts

Hi Kathy. I carry a small backpack (Rick's civita bag) to carry the book, water, scarf, snack or picnic lunch, tourbook, coat or sweater and my camera if it isn't around my neck. I think your purse would serve the same purpose as a backpack. After breakfast at or near my hotel, I usually head out for most of the day, so it is helpful to have my rainjacket with me; you never know when the weather will change abruptly. Although I think I carry too much around with me sometimes, I like the convenience of having quick comforts available.

On a crowded bus/subway, I put my pack on my front or sort of under my arm. he pack itself is very light and the fabric soft, so if it is a good place to rest my head if I am at a park and want to lie down. I would recommend a VERY light purse. My backpack goes in my carryon bag on the way TO my vacation spot, but most likely, it is filled with stuff to be used as a second carryone on the RETURN home!

Happy Travels. June

Posted by
515 posts

Kathy, I wear a cross-body purse just for the things you describe. Being hands free is great.

Posted by
11507 posts

Of course, thats what I carry too,, I do not like backpacks, they hurt my back, they bump into people, in crowded areas you have to wear it in front like a pregnant camel, and they are easy to pickpocket when worn on back.

I wear my purse messenger bag style, it has long, thick , wide straps , but is a lightweight( but strong) woven fabric. I love it, and I would feel lost with out it.. sunglasses, lipstick etc.. lots of non valuable stuff to carry.

Posted by
881 posts

Hi, Kathy. I wear a little bag like that, and one trick I do, if wearing a belt is I undo the strap, and put one end of it under my belt, then hook it up again. As long as it's got a long enough strap, ti's really not bothersome, and definitely makes the bag more secure.

Posted by
1883 posts

I use a PacSafe cross shoulder bag. Always wear it across my body, with one hand on it when on the Metro or in crowds.

I keep my camera and day use items in it...comb, chapstick, kleenex, etc. I even keep some money in it too...I've felt very comfortable with the locked zippers. I keep my credit cards/money in an interior pocket and at the bottom of that pocket. Worked great in Rome. I just really keep my eyes on people around me, and don't let anyone get too close - especially on the Metro (haven't ridden a bus in city)

Posted by
319 posts

I use a small messanger bag. Never had a pick pocket or anything bad happen...then again if someone were to pick pocket me all they would get would be a diaper or a package of gram crackers

Posted by
689 posts

I too use the pac safe over criss crossed over my shoulder. I love it. I carry my daily money in it as well as my "personal supplies" and have never felt unsafe. Just be aware of your surroundings and people.

Posted by
64 posts

Goodness I must be the only woman still carrying a purse in Europe. I have been at least 15X in the last 10 years and have never carried anything but my purse. Never had any hint of trouble.

Posted by
345 posts

Well, indeed, you are one of the few.

No one is saying the probability of having your cash, passport, and credit cards lifted are 100%.
(Probabilities are higher in some countries/regions than others.) Most people are good people and honest people, therefore you will unlikely to have problems even if you take few precautions. But, just because one has not been hit in the past doesn't mean it will never happen. You can't outsmart the pickpockets.

My personal choice is that Pacsafe is not necessary in Europe, (but I'm certainly not dissing that) but a money belt that I don't access in public is essential. I accept I may lose something from my bag and I might be annoyed, but it won't hurt too badly. (It's never happened). Walking-around money is usually in a hidden pocket-- more accessible than money belt, safer than my bag but not entirely risk free. Sometimes, well, it goes in my bag. (Oops--it happens). I've never lost any cash that way, but I accept it's not safe there.

Posted by
10344 posts

The pickpockets of Europe certainly appreciate those who don't wear a money belt (or similar accessory) under your clothing. They need to put food on the table, too.

Posted by
345 posts

Given that Italy ha a porous, watery border on three sides, is proximate to some very poor countries, has fewer employment options for its own citizens than we're used to, and doesn't hire illegal aliens in the manner that US companies do (no judgment here, just saying..) Kent is quite correct there are some very hungry, poor people who will look to your sightseeing cash to feed themselves.

Posted by
157 posts

I carried my purse and had no problem. I was at the some of the busiest sites. The women I saw on the streets carried purses and they all look quite stylish. Maybe they have nothing in it. So long as you carry it very close to you and watch your surroundings you will be fine.

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's Rick's advice on moneybelt versus purse:

Posted by
9104 posts

Jennifer there is a term for that: Russian Roulette.
Thieves don't typically go after the locals, they go after people carrying lots of cash, and people who won't appear in court to testify in case they are caught. Tourists fit both of those criteria.

Posted by
345 posts

You are making the mistake of confusing luck with your skill or ability on your part to outsmart the pickpockets. There is a difference. What you experienced is the former, not the latter. I cannot advise people they "will be fine if they hold their purse close" because that has nothing to do with it. Just luck. Your post is important because it illustrates that most people are lucky most of the time (read above post) so there is no need to be paranoid of everyone. But, luck can lull one into a false sense of security or inflated opinion of your skills. This is not good advice for first time travelers. It could wreck one's vacation. Read the tourist scam boards, watch Rick's video.

Posted by
800 posts

"Is that just asking for it?"

No - they are not after your purse - they want what is valuable inside your purse. It is unlikely that you would have your purse violently taken from your body. You may, however, lose the entire thing if you leave it on the back of a chair, at your feet, etc. They are not targeting people with purses - men with wallets in their pockets and backpacks on their back are also victims. And of course, you will see the lovely Italian women with their own purses as well as many tourists (like me) who don't have a problem with carrying one.

Wear your moneybelt, carry extra stuff in your purse - you'll be fine.

Posted by
43 posts

When we were in Florence our native Florence tour guide carried a very expensive designer handbag. Although we weren't carrying purses, among the security tips she gave us where suggestions on how we should hold our purses and when or when not to put them down or where to put them, for example, if we were in a cafe or a restaurant.

The locales don't have the worries of being in a foreign country and having to replace valuable documents, such as passports, or calling banks or credit card companies if their purses are taken or lost. But I'm sure that the travelers on this forum take the precaution of storing these valuables in their money belt while using their stylish purses for carrying their "if I lose this it won't ruin my trip" items.

Posted by
5 posts

I lived in Italy for three years and always wore a stylish leather purse, as did my Italian and expat friends. I was careful, just as I would be in a big city in the US or England. One friend had her purse stolen in a store in the center of Florence during that time. i think it's important to be careful but not overly concerned.

Posted by
267 posts

I used a PacSafe cross body purse and had no qualms carrying my passport, money, and credit cards all the time. I used a PacSafe "lanyard" for my camera that I wore around my neck (it's a small camera). I had no problems at all.
My friend carried just a leather purse that she wore cross-body and had no problems either.
I think a large part of the pickpocketing issue is "do you look like an easy target or not".
To men: Don't think your wallet is safe in your front pocket! One of my patients thought it would be, and it was stolen.