Please sign in to post.

Buying online tickets through Trenitalia website

I just wanted to let people know that i was successful buying a ticket online through the Trenitalia website. I have read that some people have had trouble with the Trenitalia website in terms of buying tickets. Many people say just buy the tickets when you get there but i believe buying early, if you have definitive plans set, works well. I saved 51 Euros per ticket and bought two tickets.

Note that i used a Mastercard with a chip and bought the ticket from Canada.

Posted by
28 posts

How did you save money? I was just going to buy tickets at the station but may reconsider if they can be had cheaper in advance and I have definite plans.

Posted by
14 posts

There are cheap fares if you purchase tickets in advance. If you leave before June 30, you can get tickets even 60% off. After July 1, though, you can choose special fares like Amica, Smart and Smart 2. Smart gives the best prices but i believe are only valid for international journeys. Amica is for journeys within Italy.

When you book online, the system will ask you the fare type. You'll see the difference betwwen a "base" fare and one of the above fares i mentioned. I happened to save quite a bit because it was an international journey. 29 Euro fares for seated international train journeys are quite common in many European countries IF you book early. It is the same way airlines work with their seat sales.

Posted by
14 posts

Jovi in addition to my Venice-Munich purchase, I have also purchased my Geneva-Milan ticket using the SBB (Swiss Rail) website as Tim has eluded to. It cost me 29 Euros just as the Venice-Munich trip.

You should have no problems with the Swiss Rail website.

Posted by
3 posts

I plan to buy a ticket from Visp (Switzerland) to Florence (Italy). I tried to book via Trenitalia website but i got the problem of the method of delivery. As i am in London, they would not post it out of Italy leave me with the option of collecting it from self service machine. But there is no self service machine available in Visp Station and i just wonder what other option i have to book the journey online? What time the ticket counter in Visp Station close?

Posted by
8700 posts

Jovi,

You can book Visp-Florence on the Swiss Rail site. If you book well in advance, you can get a discount fare.

Posted by
3 posts

I tried to book through Swiss Rail but is expensive even though i book it 2 months in advance.

Anyway, thanks

Posted by
4555 posts

Jovi....two months from now, I get a special advance-purchase price on the Swiss rail website of 86 Sfr for your journey, about 57 Euro. A standard second class two months out is 113 Sfr or about 75 Euro. The same train on Trenitalia two months out is 74.70 Euro, with no special advance purchase deal. Where did you get the info that booking through Swiss Rail is so much more expensive?

Posted by
3 posts

i have placed by booking with SBB but was offerred a CHF 270 for two persons which i think is about 80++ pounds. As the price for others train operator seems much more lower,i decided to try others.