Please sign in to post.

Rick Steves drinking game

How would you play a Rick Steves drinking game?

If there were such a thing, you know, take a drink when you hear Steve say certain words, I would nominate:

Workaday -- As in "such and such is a workaday city.."

Main drag

Posted by
3580 posts

How about "grab"--such as grab a train, grab a bite...

Posted by
430 posts

backwater

sleepy

unchanged

sit back

Posted by
430 posts

backwater

sleepy

unchanged

sit back

Posted by
908 posts

Keep on travelin'!

Raise your travel dreams to their upright and locked position.

Posted by
9363 posts

On his podcasts he's always asking a guest interviewee, "What's your take on that?"

Posted by
1317 posts

Been awhile since I watched one, but doesn't "quaint" show up a lot?

There's also at least 2 Italy episodes where he signs off with "This is Rick Steves, missing my wife more than ever."

Posted by
269 posts

He also likes to use "salty" and "workaday" quite a bit when describing things.

Posted by
5516 posts

"thrills"

as in "maximum thrills per mile" or "sightseeing thrills" or "alpine thrills"

He uses the word "thrills" a lot.

Posted by
12040 posts

If you tried it with the word "local", you might need to visit the ER for detox afterwards.

Posted by
240 posts

Here's another fun game...try this in Europe! Everytime you see a RS Guide Book you go and get a gelato!! Hahahahaha....they would need to roll me on the plane!!

Posted by
162 posts

"Ambience" And he pronounces it different than I do.

Posted by
908 posts

Whoever said he pronounces "ambiance" differently, remember when he used to say "oh-BLISK"? For someone who was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, he does have some interesting accent quirks. I wonder if he gets it from the Scandinavians in his family.

Posted by
312 posts

evocative

ps: hope he realizes this is all in good fun .. apologies if no!

Posted by
2349 posts

Will this make it to the Thread of the Month club?

Posted by
276 posts

"Women/men/kids/locals strut their [insert appropriate adjective] stuff.":)

Betsey's right, this is just good fun. We love Rick!

Posted by
588 posts

Yes Rick we love you!

Iran
Sit back
grab
thrills

Posted by
57 posts

I second evocative! I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone else use the word.

Posted by
588 posts

Yep busted! Now we have to think of another game --- hop on the bus Gus.

Posted by
3428 posts

How about for those who make "if this is Tuesday... it must be..." iteneraries--- get a new plan stan!

Posted by
588 posts

Ron, we are quoting lyrics from a Paul Simon song and the song starts "Hop on the bus, Gus, get a new plan Stan, . . ."
Great song!

Posted by
3250 posts

Rick Steves wrote a short article about this Travelers Helpline discussion thread and posted individual quotes on his Facebook Fan page today!

Here's the text:
"My guidebook editor (Risa), TV producer (Simon), and radio producer (Tim) always nail me when I pop in one of my favorite and overused catchphrases. There are certain words Simon will let me use just once per script (like "proud," "boom times," "glory days," or "carbonate"). Then I get this on the Travelers Helpline section of the Graffiti Wall on our website: "The Rick Steves Drinking Game." I learned lots about my own brain patterns and limited vocabulary with this fun posting and thread. Here some of my no-no words (and quirky pronunciations) offered by attentive readers, viewers, and travelers. Let's all drink to new and creative ways for travel writers to say the same old thing."

Posted by
8942 posts

I just signed up on the Rick Steve facebook page today. Don't know why I never thought about it before. Can't participate in the game though as have never watched Rick except in these little video clips people post on here.